Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Questions

I was wondering what cam would work with stock heads on a 00 Trans am? I was thinking maybe MS4 or the Tsunami cam and is there any Pv clearence issues??
Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure if you will have PTV contact with those cams and stock heads but you for sure will be close and possibly not within accepted tolerances (.080 intake, .100 exhaust). the MS4 has monster duration 237/242, the Tsunami isn't that much smaller... if you have stock heads why dont you pick a smaller cam that will flow better with the heads you currently have on your car. if you stick either of these two cams in your ride with stock heads you are not going to be getting optimum performance out of either the cam or your stock heads. My advise is to do your research then choose a cam that is better suited for you specific application. Remember selecting a cam isn't a dick measuring contest, often times a giant cam with the wrong supporting mods will net you alot less power than a smaller cam with the right supporting mods.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree 100% not the best cam for your app. They will both work, we have run both of them on ls1 cars with customers that had to have them but definately not the best idea for a cam. Those cars seem to like around .610 any more is overkill on stock heads like yours.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Take a look at the TR230; It's a reverse-split cam by Thunder Racing. I'm making some pretty killer power with it on stock heads. I'll probably be upgrading next month when I do my head swap, but for my stock heads this cam was exactly what I wanted. Not super-long duration, not super-high lift. No PTV issues. The 111 LSA sounds mean. With a good tune, this cam is very streetable. Cam selection is all about what your needs are (street car vs. track car etc) and what your supporting mods are. As stated above, pick something that works well with your supporting mods and fills your needs. For me, the TR230 fit the bill.

Next thing: if/when you decide to do a head-swap, do yourself a favor and decide what heads you want and then match the cam to the heads; not the other way around.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just some input on the PTV questions: seems like about every other or so LS1 with an MS4 cam i've pulled the heads off of have eyebrows on the pistons where the exhaust valves have touched lightly

I wouldn't use either cam personally but if you run the MS4 I would degree it and check PTV for sure.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take a look at the TSP Torquer 2. Its a great cam with stock heads.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys for the reply right now I have some BBK headers and Volant cold air intake Stock 3.42's . Here in about a month I wanna build my car and wanna put on a Ls6 intake and Cam. I appreciate the input I wanna go through Texas Speed has anyone put in a cam from them in ?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Petersen
Thanks guys for the reply right now I have some BBK headers and Volant cold air intake Stock 3.42's . Here in about a month I wanna build my car and wanna put on a Ls6 intake and Cam. I appreciate the input I wanna go through Texas Speed has anyone put in a cam from them in ?
Give me a call on Monday I would be happy to help you with your choice on cam selection.

Quick Reply: Cam Questions