Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power loss with Kook's headers and Magnaflow cats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss with Kook's headers and Magnaflow cats?

I was wondering about the Kook's headers with the 3-inch y-pipe with Magnaflow cats. Will I lose much power by going with the cats as opposed to an off-road pipe? Most important, will I lose a lot on the 1/4 mile since I know losing the cats helps throttle response quite a bit. And is the fit of the Kook's y-pipe with cats good, I mean does it hit the floorpans or rattle on anything like that? I have done the search, but I would like to hear from some guys with Kook's headers and their y-pipe in particular. Thanks to all
Old 03-12-2004, 08:31 PM
WARNING: BAD TRADER STATUS

You will lose about 5 to 7 hp with those cats. The fitment of kooks ory is awsome no banging of the floorboard and great ground clearance. I dont no about the fitment of the catted y pipe.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Here is the deal - I got my Kooks headers today but they came with the catted y-pipe instead of the off-road pipe like I ordered. So now I am stuck with a dilema, either put on the catted pipe or wait for an ory to get here and I am itching to get these bastards on and see how it runs Anyway, that is why I was asking the question. I am just not sure what is the best way to go about it now. If I put on the catted Y until the ory gets here, I probably won't be able to return it and I can't afford both at the moment. Decisions, decisions...Thanks for the reply
Old 03-13-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, If I got the catted Y for the price of the ORY I would just keep it as you got about 300 bucks free.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLASTER
Damn, If I got the catted Y for the price of the ORY I would just keep it as you got about 300 bucks free.

I know, I just feel kind of guilty about doing that without letting them know they made a mistake. But you are right, it is not a bad deal.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

you should feel guilty... call them up let them know what happened...

Don't be a thief... world has plenty of them already.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by T/A Medic
you should feel guilty... call them up let them know what happened...

Don't be a thief... world has plenty of them already.
I already let them know before I made this thread, just trying to figure out if I could still make good power with the catted Y if it works out that I keep it. The only problem is that the vendor I bought these from is highly indisposed and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't hear from him for a week or two - seriously. It took over a week for my last email to get answered and all I get from the phone number is voice mail that is not returned.

So I think you can understand the problem - I have headers now and I want to put the damn things on, my car has been torn apart and ready for a week now. I am waiting indefinitely for a response - not a lot of fun when you waited 3 weeks for the headers to get here in the first place. Now that they are here, I have to hurry up and wait - again. A thief I am not and moral judgements I don't need.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Merlin
I already let them know before I made this thread, just trying to figure out if I could still make good power with the catted Y if it works out that I keep it. The only problem is that the vendor I bought these from is highly indisposed and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't hear from him for a week or two - seriously. It took over a week for my last email to get answered and all I get from the phone number is voice mail that is not returned.

So I think you can understand the problem - I have headers now and I want to put the damn things on, my car has been torn apart and ready for a week now. I am waiting indefinitely for a response - not a lot of fun when you waited 3 weeks for the headers to get here in the first place. Now that they are here, I have to hurry up and wait - again. A thief I am not and moral judgements I don't need.
Sorry, I don't have Kooks, but I couldn't help myself - no, you are NOT a thief, the guy above is on crack or something... ..I believe you are under no obligations to fix other people's buisness mistakes. If anything, I think the thiefs are people who install ORY-pipe's on their cars and drive them on public roads, cause they ARE stealing fresh air from me. Keep the cats, the car will smell much better
Old 03-13-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Did you check you A/F after you installed your headers? You might be running rich/lean.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

hp loss isn't that much of a difference as someone already said 5 -7 rwhp. I went from no cats to high flow cats didnt feel much of a difference in power, however sound they really mellow out the tone. i went from people KNOWING i had long tubes to people asking me to a complete sleeper with the hooker catback. you can't even tell i have lt's till i get on it. Plus Iv Z28 is right, the car smells without cats. Id just keep the catted y pipe. They can't charge you for it cause if im not mistaken it is not legal for them to do so upon their mistake. why should you pay for their mistake with having to pay reimburse them the difference or wait for another y pipe. **** if anything, if the sound is too mellow for you just gut the cats.
good luck,
Travis
Old 03-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Quick Reply: Power loss with Kook's headers and Magnaflow cats?