Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fit issues and doubts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fit issues and doubts...

It's been awhile since I've had a chance to work on my swap, '04 ls1/4l60 into my 69 GTO. Anyway, after collecting most of the parts I need for my swap I've started to get things going again. The first issue is tranny to engine fit. The engine an '04 ls1 the tranny a '94 4l60. I've read many of the threads and stickys about the subject, flexplates, spacers when and how and where to use them. I'm using the ls1 flexplate with the dish, purchased the GM spacer and bolts as understood for a non ls1 tranny. The problem is that the tranny will not bolt to the engine without causing the tc to bind up against the flex plate, that's with out the spacer. The TC is fully seated into the transmission and I still have a good 1/4" to go. Here is where I need to state that the TC is for an Ls automatic...is this the issue...the wrong TC for an early 4l60??? The TC is new.
Secondly, the more I've read the more I'm thinking that a '94 4l60 with 12 pin connector may not be the best way to go for my swap, harness issues etc.

Can this tranny be made to work without spending a significant amount of money that I wouldn't need to spend with a later ls based auto?

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The torque converter is not correct. The input shafts are different in a LT and LS. Therefore the converters will be different. If it were my project I would definitely go with the later transmission.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

No way that converter will work as already stated. I'd get a newer 60 if it was me.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Goat, I can send you the early style converter. I will pull your build sheet and see what was ordered. If you are running the early trans then you have to have an lt style converter. Call me at th eshop 1-866-726-8358 and I will help. I will certantly make it right. the later transmission is better but if you choose to run the earlier that is fine. I will send you another converter.

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet