Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LH8/GM Muscle Pan, Holley oil pan, windage tray and bolts question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default LH8/GM Muscle Pan, Holley oil pan, windage tray and bolts question.

I'm trying to decide on an oil pan for my ls1 swap into my 1972 Cutlass. I like the sleet look of the Holley pan, how it has a nice slope down to the sump, and it looks to be more swap friendly. I like how the LH8/GM Muscle Pan has a full kit and it around $200. I want a lower clearance pan for future suspension upgades and I think the Holley pan may be the way to go.

Are the GM Muscle Pan and LH8 pan the same?
What windage tray has anyone used who has the Holley oil pan?
Will the stock oil pan bolts from my LS1 work?
Should I spend the big money on the Holley pan kit and then purchace a windage tray and any other installation items to possibly help the install go smoother or purchase the more cost effective LH8/GM Muscle Pan which may also install pretty smooth?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, Go with the Holley or MAST Pan.

Are the GM Muscle Pan and LH8 pan the same? Yes, The LH8 pan will hang pretty low, If your going to lower it.. it will be a problem.

What windage tray has anyone used who has the Holley oil pan? A Full Lenght Tray (truck, CTS-V, etc)

Will the stock oil pan bolts from my LS1 work? Yes
Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

I swapped the Holley pan on to a GTO/LS2 engine assy..........there is a clearance issue with the Holley supplied oil pick-up tube where it bolts to the windage tray.......the emboss shape for the bolt head in the pick-up tube is too large and doesn't allow the tube to seat correctly...I needed to grind away the the bracket to suit and weld on a couple of support gussets to provide structure........
Other than that little issue the pan fits perfect.......I'm doing a 66 Impala swap......heres a picture after install.....it's flush with the front crossmember.......I told the Holley guys about the problem at SEMA but just got that blank look.....Lol

Heres a picture of the GTO windage tray

Old 11-27-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too used the lh8 pan on my 71 chevelle w/ brp mounts which sit engine high and my pan sits about 1 1/2" below the xmember.I added a deflector plate to my xmember to protect it...AND Iv hit a few tyms already.....I have eibach 1" lowering springs all the way around so its a bit lower than normal...I would consider the mast/holley pan b4 the lh8 one.....hind sit is always 20/20....
Rick
Old 11-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. Yeah I think I will go with the Holley pan.
I don't want to damage my oil pan by hitting anything. I know I came close to damaging my oil pan when I went to my cousins to do my disc brake conversion and I didn't realize how big the rock in his driveway was and I hit it with the extra guard on my crossmember.

I just read on the installation instructions that they give a GM part number for a windage tray they doesn't need modifications. I think I will look that part up and see what I can get it for at work. I know Holley says the LS3 dipstick is needed but does anyone know will the stock dipstick tube work or is it too long or too short?

flywheel: How do you like the BRP mounts. I thought about getting their 64-72 A-Body Conversion Kit.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put the holley pan on the motor and everything was top notch as stated previously the windage tray had to be modified. Havent dropped it in the car yet but again good quality. It does say in the instruction what windage tray to use for the pan or to modify the existing one

Quick Reply: LH8/GM Muscle Pan, Holley oil pan, windage tray and bolts question.