Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP head studs vs. head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARP head studs vs. head bolts

I ordered a set of ARP head studs last week and have been waiting to recieve them. Call ed the shop today to find out why I haven`t recieved them yet come to find out they haven`t even shipped yet because they are on backorder and they don`t know how long untill they will ship. Here`s the deal my local shop has the ls1 ARP head bolts in stock so I was thinking about just getting the bolts instead. Will I be ok with the bolts? How much stronger are they then the stock LS1s? The motor is gonna be tore down as soon as i get these it`s getting 6.0 heads, Cometic gaskets for a final comp. of 9:1 And a turbo cam. I plan on running 11-12 psi will the bolts be enough or should i wait for the studs? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received my studs today in the mail from scoggin dickeys. They have them in stock there. As for the bolts, they will be fine as far as strength but I like the thought of knowing I'm not damaging my threads everytime the heads come off the car. With the kind of power you are putting out, I would say problems will arise sooner or later. The torque specs are around 65 ft/lbs and with the studs I know that is what the actual torque will be. With the bolts, if there is any dirt or contaminents in the threads you won't actually achieve the optimum torque. I suppose this is why GM uses torque to yield bolts so if you go that route I would follow there setup process. It's something like 30-40 ft/lbs and then 90 degrees. I hope this helps

Quick Reply: ARP head studs vs. head bolts