Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e Vent Tube Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e Vent Tube Question

I dropped my trans because I need to replace a cracked flexplate. When doing so I noticed that my vent tube is not there. I dont know if it blew off one time or if it was installed without it.

Is the vent tube simply a hose that routes the overflow away from the exhaust, or does it have some sort of valve attached?

Need to know if I can just put some hose on it or if I need to order one ment for the trans. I have a 2-3 wot shift issue and considered this could possibly cause a problem.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 PM
zgp
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ls2SilverBullet
I dropped my trans because I need to replace a cracked flexplate. When doing so I noticed that my vent tube is not there. I dont know if it blew off one time or if it was installed without it.

Is the vent tube simply a hose that routes the overflow away from the exhaust, or does it have some sort of valve attached?

Need to know if I can just put some hose on it or if I need to order one ment for the trans. I have a 2-3 wot shift issue and considered this could possibly cause a problem.

Thanks
Are you missing the tube coming out of the case or just the hose attached to reroute it away from the exhaust. 4L60E transmission will vent oil if over full or when they get hot so it is beneficial to have a hose there to reroute the oil.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Launching!

All I have is the nipple on top of the case behind the bellhousing.

I'm just trying to make sure all I'm missing is a rubber hose comming off of that nipple. I dont want to be missing a valve or something that is suppsoed to be on the end of the hose.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

It's not at all needed except to route any trans fluid away from hot exhaust pipes. I haven't run one in years. Never seen any indication that fluid ever came out of the fitting either. Whats your 2/3 issue?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
It's not at all needed except to route any trans fluid away from hot exhaust pipes. I haven't run one in years. Never seen any indication that fluid ever came out of the fitting either. Whats your 2/3 issue?
OK, this is what I needed to know. Thanks. Thats probably not why it wasnt there to begin with.

Wide open from 2nd to 3rd it will slap limiter until I pedal it. Once I'm out of the gas a bit it shifts and I can go back wide open. Was told by my tuner after my dyno for a fast90 swap that the trans was slipping, but 427rwhp seems high for a slipping trans. I feel like something needs to be adjusted in the tune because the car pulls hard and this has been a problem for over a year without becoming worse
Old 11-28-2011, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

You driving the car in D (3) or OD (4) when the shift issue happens? A 2/3 limiter is common with these trans and a modded car especially when running in D. Most of the time a tune, or fine tuning rather, will fix it.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Launching!

I usually leave the car in 4, OD. But I'm pretty sure it happens in either. U have any idea what area of the trans tune to look at? I'm going to be out at the tuners shop for a cookout on the 4th of dec, Want to get him to have a look then
Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sure I can tell you, plus there is a nice trans tuning thread at the top of this section that you can read and familiarize yourself with. Its a little overwhelming at first but just try concentrating on one thing at a time. I would expect some feedback from the tuner on this issue as well, based on his personal knowledge. Questions I would ask him are....are my shift pressures stock or modified? If modified, what's been modified? Whats my command 2/3 shift point? (mph and rpm), What's my actual mph and rpm at the commanded shift? How many hundred rpms are between the commanded shift and the rev limiter? Do you have a log of the engine hitting the limiter to review for an explanation of what's taking place?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Thanks, and I've already read through coolaid's thread on trans tunning, it did help alot. Actually it seems less complicated that I originally thought. I'll read through again, definitely wouldn't hurt especially since I eventually want to do my own tunning. Thanks for the question suggestions, I will be sure to have those things cleared up.

And no I dont have a log of it. I do have an Innovate lc1 wideband, but no program to log it into

Quick Reply: 4l60e Vent Tube Question