Sponsored by:

Junkyard 4l80's

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Junkyard 4l80's

Who here has actually uses a used 4l80? Im just looking around some guys actually say the are pretty strong. does anyone use used 4l80s with upgraded parts and a t-brake?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been breaking 4l80's in 3 different vehicles since about 2004. The first one was a low mile junkyard unit that I put a transgo kit in. It worked good for a while then 2nd gear went out. I think next up was a broken input shaft. I've burnt the clutches out of converters from the big name companies, I've broke planetaries, sprags, output shafts, roller clutches. Hard parts, soft parts....I am one by one learning the weak points of the '80. I have upgraded with each rebuild, tried different kinds of clutches, tried a vacuum modulator kit, etc etc etc.

The latest failure was a build that worked great til I broke the rearend. I guess the unloaded free-spinning of the trans when the rearend let go caused untold carnage inside the tranny. I haven't had the guts to open it up yet. I needed the truck back in service so about a month ago I bought a 120,000 mile junkyard transmission complete with a stock torque converter. I installed this unit bone stock with nothing but a new filter. It shifts and feels as good or better than any trans I have had yet. It was only meant to get me thru the off season til I can get the "good" trans fixed and reinstalled. But I may just leave it in and see what kind of beating it can take.

Quick Reply: Junkyard 4l80's