General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 vs LS6 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 vs LS6 question

hey fellas i have a question, how do i tell the difference between an LS6 block and and LS1 block?

so far i was told that an LS1 block has a "bulls eye" stamp on the block right behind the water pump, and that the LS6 block does not have that "bulls eye"

how true is that, i know that between the two block there is really no difference except the cooling channels but i was still wondering if that was true, ill try to pull up the thread that made those statements

thanks for any and all help
Old 11-30-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fotis
hey fellas i have a question, how do i tell the difference between an LS6 block and and LS1 block?

so far i was told that an LS1 block has a "bulls eye" stamp on the block right behind the water pump, and that the LS6 block does not have that "bulls eye"

how true is that, i know that between the two block there is really no difference except the cooling channels but i was still wondering if that was true, ill try to pull up the thread that made those statements

thanks for any and all help
That is true. There was an article in GM High tech about this a few years ago. From what I remember the LS1 Block does have the bulls eye and the LS6 block does not. There was supposed to be better breathing of the LS6 block or something like that but not a power increase thing.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The only way to really tell for sure is to read the casting number on the block. The bullseye is not conclusive.

From JRP's FAQ Sticky in the newby section: (the pictures in this link no longer work)

15% of 01s and 25% of 02's got the LS6 Block. The only way to tell 100% is to check the casting number. As you can see in the above pic (my ls6 block ) the casting number is at the top of the deck on the drivers side. Take a mirror and place it behind the block and check or jack up the car and attempt to look from the bottom. The "easier" ways are the casting hue and bulleye methods but none are conclusive. If you really want to know if you have the block you'll need to do the work and look for yourself, end of story.

Once you have determined if you have an LS6 block (ya you), then the only benefit to the block are the bay windows.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740886-post8.html

The magic casting number, that means nothing is: 12561168
Old 11-30-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There really is not no big difference but better heads and cam !
Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are they "bay windows" the is talking about.

Quick Reply: LS1 vs LS6 question