Sponsored by:

Thoughts/Advice/Help on my Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts/Advice/Help on my Project

Hi everyone,

First, a quick introduction of myself. I'm 19yo and live in Switzerland (the Chees/Chocolate Country, oh and sry for English mistakes) I have my driver license since a year now but I have always been a huge fan of muscle cars because I grow up with 1979 Camaro of my dad. I’m currently driving a 1996 3.8l Firebird and I love it. It a rare car here (every 18-20yo is driving STI’s here), good looking, comfortable and quite “fast”.
However, I’ve always wanted to work on my car as a hobby/project and here comes the bad part, besides the fact that there is not so much I can do on that model there is our law. It’s nearly impossible to modify any part whatsoever without driving it illegal afterwards… BUT if I import a car from US I can more or less do whatever I want to it. (It’s stupid I know don’t ask me )

Now before I tell you what I do have in mind for my Project, please don’t throw me into a bucket with all the 18yo who just want a 1000hp car. I want to do this for the build the work and the result I can see myself afterwards.

So basically the situation is this there is a 2002 Trans AM WS6 for sale in Italy (so not too far from me) but the engine already has over 250k KM on it. So I’ve been reading on the forums like this and on the internet in general searching for a new engine, because putting just a new LS1 in would be boring right? Now I really don’t have the money to do a full LS7 whatsoever build and I was kind of disappointed. But then I came across a few articles where people used Truck engines (LQ4/LQ9) in there F-Bodys with LS6 intake L92 Headers ect. Also it’s not an aluminum block it’s iron which will handle a SC or Turbo better as far as I have been reading. (I’m not planning on that but it’s good to have for future).

So now I’m just before the point of no return but I honestly am scared. I have NONE practical experience in building an engine not even to speak of a full car. I read dozens of write-ups and watched a bazillion How-to’s. So in theory I would know what I’m doing. But I’m absolutely willing to put several months maybe years (I don’t give a damn) in it even if it’s just try and error.
Now I really would appreciate it if you guys could tell me what I must take a look into before I start this project and also if it’s even realistic to do something with no practical experience.

I’m thankful for every thought even it is says “just forget about it dude”.

Greetings X
Old 12-04-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, My advice to you is this,, Since you have had no experience building LS engines, I would go this route
1. Buy an assembled shortblock from a reputable seller (Texas Speed or other known builders) If you ever plan on a turbo or big power adder down the road, then get the 6.0 block, its iron (The one from the trucks that you mentioned) A real common setup on that block is a 408 and they can make 500RWHP all day long.
2. If you read and learn, it will not be difficult for you to assemble the rest of the engine,
3. Decide what heads you want, PRC makes great affordable heads, Step up to better heads, like Trick Flow And AFR but they are more expensive, Because they are not worked GM heads, they are proprietary to those companies
4. Once you get the shortblock and heads decision made, Get a custom Cam made for that setup, I would recommend Geoff Skinner at Engine Power Systems, He has been great for what I have had him make me.
5. For an intake You cant go wrong with a F.A.S.T intake, with matching throttle body.
6.What Transmission are you gonna run Auto? stick? once you get that bolted behind the engine and all in the car, You will need to have the computer tuned to make it run, You can have a mail order tune, that will get the car running, but it will not be optimized, thats what Dyno tunes do, they actually run the car and watch what it is doing through the computer and make changes. There are alot of reputable companies here in the states that I know who do this, but I dont know of anyone who does this stuff where you are, but these guys I have recommended do it for a Living and are masters at it.
A 500rwhp with a good rumbling exhaust will turn everyones head where you are, and when you put it on the road and open it up, You will smile too.
Hope this helps
Old 12-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

First thx for the reply
You pretty much summed up what I had in mind .(BTW its a M6)

Now I have a few question:
You do use quite the expensive mods in your list like aftermarket build heads and FAST Intake... Why so? Are these mods more reliable or do I gain that much more power from it?
Also you now only mentioned performance upgrades so far but excuse me if I'm wrong. Don't I need to change my rearend clutch driveshaft ect. to handle the power i will get from this engine?

Greetings
X