Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.85 rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Default 1.85 rockers?

How will they work on a 6.0 in a 2500 hd. Truck just has a few bolt-ons, lookin for a little more across tq across the board. Will I need to change valve springs? Has anyone done this swap?
Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you would need valve springs, and that would not be your answer to getting torque. Bite the bullet and get a decent torque cam (it WILL make power everywhere, not just down low) and keep it mid .550's and you can use off the shelf Z06 "yellow" springs on the cheap.

I used the Comp 265 low lift in my '03 ECSB 4x4 5.3 (212/218 .522"/.529" on 114*) and it has tons of torque and plenty of power up top also. The problem with the truck motors is that they have almost NO timing...my stock tables had only 1* @ 2000 RPM maxing out at 11* @ 6k.

If you have the itch for more power and don't want to do a cam yet, get you timing tables done correctly and maybe add some L/T headers before the tune if you want an easy kick without going in the motor.

Put the screen back in your MAF, that is hurting you esp. at low speeds (torque) where the velocity/volume of air flowing across the sensor needs to be broken up to be read properly.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the cam profile and not the rockers.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I just thought it would be a easy/minor upgrade for my truck. I did a search but did'nt really find any results. I have SS silverado timing tables in it now. I don't want exhaust because I pull to much with it and don't want to hear the noise.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:38 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is easier, but BEST bang for your buck and benefit is thru a new cam profile.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U could do some shortie headers for more torque w/ out the noise and even full lenght headers w/ a stock muffler and cats wont b noisey!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:50 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I just thought it would be a easy/minor upgrade for my truck. I did a search but did'nt really find any results. I have SS silverado timing tables in it now. I don't want exhaust because I pull to much with it and don't want to hear the noise.
I took a quick look through the tune repository but did not find a stock SS tune, I would venture to guess that it is still on the very conservative side though. Post your tune if you have it, I am pretty sure that you can still get a little bit better no matter what stock tables you are running.

If you get headers with the cats (OBX for example), that is where the power is and the exhaust tone will be a little more "raspy" without being loud or changing the tone, if that makes sense. You can keep the OE exhaust with the headers, not much power to be had there anyhow. There are a lot of threads where shorties were tested and gained almost nothing over stock manifolds, so I would save that headache.

It definitely looks like you are looking for a performance change that only a new cam can provide you, which is easy enough believe it or not. You need to further define what it is that you are looking for (stump puller torque, more mid range when towing, emissions compatibility, etc) so that you can get shopping. I would stay mid .550's lift though for a long running reliable setup that you will not have to worry about springs. A lot of people are spec-ing .600+ lift cams for trucks now, and I just don't think the small power increase is worth it in a truck to be honest.

5.3 and 6.0 truck cams are pretty easy and there are lots of threads on them, I would use Google to start.