Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice on mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on mods

I called oriellys today and had them look up a 2002 corvette ls6 cam. They priced me 85.99 for a hydraulic cam. I'm not sure about valve pricing its special order so ill have that price Monday. Anyways I'm only wantin to up the pep a little bit till I have the motor fully built in a couple years. A guy has a ls1 shop 45 minutes from me he said he will tune it for 150 dollars. My motor has never been touched I'm thinkin about pullin the heads and havin them shaved 20 thousands (will this help hp?) I know it adds compression. I'm gonna do the free air box mod and port a little on the throttle body. My car is a 2001 with ls6 intake factory. I'm just wantin 60-75hp more then stock for now.

Long tube headers are next he said he will tune it again for 50 after I get those put on. So here's the list so far

Ls6 cam (2002)
Ls6 valve springs
Shaved heads
Maybe slight port and polish and bowl work.
Air box and lid mod
Throttle body bypass and port and cam stop mod
Aggresive tune
Longtube headers.

My question is what is good head work choice for more pep? Is shaving them a good idea? Ill have him check ptv? Is a few hours of porting and mostly polishing and bowl work gonna help with that cam? I know that cam will mostly sound stock but can I expect 20hp? One guy said he gained 34hp at 4000rpm off a ls6 cam on a 2000 ss and I have a ls6 intake? Sorry for the messy write up but let me know what u guys think for a little extra hp.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Most people will say its not worth putting a LS6 cam in a LS1. I don't know about having your heads shaved but I know you can make pretty good power with a port job on a set of 241s but the key is who ports them. Your way better off doing longtubes before the cam and tune. You can run untuned with headers, your not going to want to with a cam. that'll save you 50 bucks. If you just want another 75 flywheel horsepower all you really need is a full exhaust, something like a 224 or 228 cam with a tune and you've got it and just as streetable as stock pretty much.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Om on a very tight budget. The cam is 85.00 compared to a 350$ cam I have to replace water pump and get radiator fixed so I said y not put a little bigger cam in it but I can't afford the kit rite now. I just want a little more hp. Ill soon be building a 404ci stroker shooting for 600hp and then a turbo later. But for now is all I'm sayin for a little extra work and a lot less money (to me) I could have a slighty bigger cam. And jim ford will work them a little bit. And shave them. Long tubes will probably be later to be honest. Unless I get ebay headers and I ain't doin that lol but I'm either gonna get it tuned or do headers. My car has slp loud mouth exhaust it starts after the stock y pipe. Have u all seen the square tubing for stock y pipe? Holy **** that's hurting me
Old 12-03-2011, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You'll pick up more from the headers than you will from the cam and lord help you if you plan on running catless with a loudmouth 1. You'll get enough tickets to buy NASA. The thing about paying the 85 and ever how much for the springs is having to buy the gaskets, have it tuned, plus the cost of the parts for maybe 15 hp. If you shave the heads your going to have to buy different length pushrods which will be a little over 100. You might not have alot of money in it but what money you will have in it will be for virtually no gain. Most people with full exhaust gain about 25-30rwhp. Doing the cam might get you another 15rwhp and it'll be alot more expensive.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

That price is too cheap for a roller cam. i would make sure that you are getting the correct part. LS6 heads (243's) are a good option for your build. The stock GM 02 LS6 springs would be ok for the 02 cam. Like posted above you should consider a better grind for the amount of work for the gain that you will see. I did a 01 LS6 cam and gained 10-15 HP on the top end years ago.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Teching In

there's no real problem where I live with noise or loudness I live in the sticks in east tn. I'm gonna do headers and I didn't know if I would need different pushrod length for 20 off the heads. I planned on a little pick up but I just didn't wanna buy a 400 dollar cam (yet) and I know the 02 cam is the highest factory lift. I do agree on needing headers and I don't want a y pipe. Guess ill sell the loud mouth exhaust kit may help buy a set of headers ... anyways thanks for the input I leave january for the army and wanted to do a little but exhaust and intake is first for makin power I just figured since I will have all that out of the way y not throw a cam in. Ebay valve springs any good? Or stay away from any ebay items?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

The heads are a ton of work if your not porting them
Old 12-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Teching In

My uncle ownes a machine shop but he charges me for porting but hell shave my heads but idk I'm just gonna put a cam in 02 zo6 its 550 lift my cam is 440 lift? The lsa is 1 up I'm just gonna see what its gonna do ill let yaw know
Old 12-04-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

that move on the cam is just a little bit of an improvement
without head work and a way to let her breath, like headers, then your wasting money at this time

someone once told me
"to do something right, it takes patience"

i dont want to tell you how to spend your money
do the exhaust first, you will notice a improvement their
then get a tune, notice it their also

get a set of heads and go through them, by the time you get done their
you will have enough $$$ to get a good cam and do it right

thats a good price on a cam shaft, but look into it before you purchase and do some digging to make sure it true

in todays economy i look for a good deal on everything for my toys
saved 1k on a rotating assy getting it from a off name company on the west coast
but after researching they sell the same parts for a discount and without the mark up that others have
Old 12-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Teching In

I sat down today and thought a good bit about it. I said well it runs fine now has plenty of power for a car and gets me from point a to b and is great on gas as long as mustangs aren't around lol or ricers. I saved the money I would spent towards that cam and springs today and made a jar for ls1 performance lol I don't want my loudmouth exhaust kit I want to run bullets rite after the headers so I guess headers in a week or two. Thanks guys I also have 241 heads id like to step up to 243 but may save up for a mean set when I go turbo
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your talking budget now your going to drop dead after turbo cost lol, exhaust ,decent cam, decent heads will give you some nice power. ls6 cam is a waste,if you pay for a cam install why not go for something that will be better,i honestly think if you go ls6 you will regret in the long run, save money do it right the first time, i wanted to go turbo but honest that is way out of my price range,
Old 12-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Teching In

You all didn't understand my first part I leave in 2 months I joined the army I'm on a budget now I won't be in about a year. I just wanted a little more hp like 40-50 60 tops and better springs but I can't afford a cam other then a zo6 cam and springs lol. I'm gonna make a 550 hp 404 low compression then turbo it