Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What accessories can be powder coated?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What accessories can be powder coated?

I am getting a lot of stuff powder coated on my car while it's getting built. I would like to powder coat everything I can. What accessories can be done? I am going with a turbo application so I want the alternator done. Is this something that can be taken apart easily? What about the water pump? Anything else you guys can thing of besides the normals of TB, intake, rails, random bolts and brackets?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything metal can be but, the temp used in powder coating can warp some metals depending on the material vs thickness.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Somewhere I read on here that its not a good idea to powder coat the water pump because I was thinking about doing the same thing. Not sure why or if its even true though.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

i did all the metal on my engine. wp. pulleys intake man. timming cover. alternator and it stay around 185 temp with all of it powder coated...and yes the alternaor is not that hard to rebuild after
Old 12-05-2011, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
i did all the metal on my engine. wp. pulleys intake man. timming cover. alternator and it stay around 185 temp with all of it powder coated...and yes the alternaor is not that hard to rebuild after
What I meant was the temp used in powder coating will warp metal pieces on occasion.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Most powder cooks on at around 400 degrees so keep that in mind. Near 400 degrees equals a mess on the car unless special powder is used. Powder is a thick plastic so it can hold in heat, bare aluminum sheds heat nicely. I wouldn't coat a WP unless all the seals were out, it could be blasted and thoroughly cleaned before reassembly. Sand in pump= WP failure=engine overheating= engine failure. A lot of extra work for a lot of extra risk. To each their own.

Quick Reply: What accessories can be powder coated?