Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

JL Audio rocks -- 10W3v2 with dual 6 ohm voice coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL Audio rocks -- 10W3v2 with dual 6 ohm voice coils

Wow this speakers sounds great. It is plenty loud and clean on two bridged channels from my AB Audiobahn 4x25 watt amp, that is, the sub is running about 70 watts. Yes this is puny power by most of your standards.

I built a 1.0 cu.ft. MDF box for this speaker with the 6 ohm voice coils wired in parallel for a 2.75 ohm load. The MDF box goes where the spare tire used to be, and it is a complex shape but it was worth the huge time and effort to build -- screwed, glued and airtight. It is crossed at 80 Hz with 6 1/2" components in the front, with no sail panel speakers.

Tech notes: with WinISD, this speakers builds to a .85 Qtc, an F3 of 41.39 at a Vb of 28.4 liters or 1.04 cu ft.

Listener notes: I found a free tone generator (look on google) and then made music CD to check it out the db levels with my ears. This box-speaker setup sounds level from 30 Hz and up in the car. I am amazed that it is only about -12bd (more or less by my ears' estimate) at 20 Hz. This is with only a little level shaping from the Pioneer GM-sized head unit, +6 at 40 Hz, and a flat-setting from the amp.

With some more parametric boost at 20-30 Hz from a better 300 watt amp it would definitely scare the neighbors.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

How does one get 2.75 ohms from a dual 6ohm load in parallel?

But excellent review on the technical information using WinISD and a tone generator. Of course sound quality is subjective, As long as you like it that is all that matters.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 10w3v2 also, and I love it. It sounds great, and is good quality. Mine is wired with a 250/1 JL amp, and even with just that, I have set off car alarms.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

JL's stated DC resistance is 5.5 ohms per voice coil for the 6 ohm speaker.

Today I made a bigger-better tone generator CD, with 10 Hz to 400 Hz in successive 5 second sweeps for each 10 Hz and set all the levels as volume-balanced as I could. Still, I think it sounded better when I set it subjectively, before, so I expect I will re-set it with music. Level-wise with the test CD, the crossover is set about 100 but it doesn't sound as sharp as it did with the crossover at 80 Hz, which is where I had previously set it with music. The sound gets dragged into the back when it is set at 100, and the bass isn't as sharp. Has anyone else found this snafu'd result from using a test CD to set levels?

Quick Reply: JL Audio rocks -- 10W3v2 with dual 6 ohm voice coils