General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Clacking/Ticking Noise at Idle to ~1.5K

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clacking/Ticking Noise at Idle to ~1.5K

Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar symptoms and what came of it.
2002 Z28 A4 62K Bone Stock
What I know:
-Steady (not erratic) clack/tick noise at idle up to about ~1.5K rpm while in reverse or in gear. Speeds up with rpm's but over 1.5K it's quiet as a mouse.
-Oil pressure is strong, steady, and responsive. It never goes below 40.
-Car runs strong, no loss of power.
-Popped the inspection cover off the transmission and looked for a good while for cracks in the flexplate, and I couldn't see any unless they're behind the converter pads.
-Searched all over the engine with a mechanics stethascope, and it seems to be most noticeable at the front of the valley cover and intake.

I thought it may be piston slap, but it never goes away even fully warmed up though it quiets down a little when warm. Then maybe cracked flexplate, but after inspection maybe not. Leads me to believe it's a possible lifter, but I have know way of knowing for sure I guess without yanking the heads. Like I said just curious if anyone has had the same symptoms or if it's even something to worry about.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

dump the oil and look for metal flakes in it , cut open the filter and look for metal in the pleats . if nothing..... prolly a shot lifter or sumthin.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 Camaro SS A4 did the same thing and never had a problem w/ it !!! I would not worry its Common !
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
My 02 Camaro SS A4 did the same thing and never had a problem w/ it !!! I would not worry its Common !
Yeah, Polynikes I believe you are just talking about the 'normal' sounds of these LS1 engines. Mine has been doing that since 2001. Some days more noticeable than others and usally completely gone when fully warmed up.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

My Vette makes all kinds of noise when i start it first thing in the morning andwhen i had a 2010 Camaro SS it made noise also but it only had 10 miles on it when i got it so it was not bad yet !!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

This sounds like classic piston slap, which is nothing to worry about.

My '02 does the exact same thing, and has been for all the years and 10s of thousands of miles I've owned it. Even after the engine is warm, it will still be there a little bit unless the outside temps are above 70° or so.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

I have the same problem on my 01 SS with 125k, always sounds loud on cold start then noise reduces when warms up and can hear it slightly when driving.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

I always use synthetic oil, and i was recommended by a local mechanic to use regular oil so the motor will last longer but idk. I haven't switched over yet
Old 12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by T3X_SS
I always use synthetic oil, and i was recommended by a local mechanic to use regular oil so the motor will last longer but idk. I haven't switched over yet
Wow. It's time for a new mechanic!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Launching!

I have the same thing. It's a constant ticking sound at idle/low rpms. I eventually gave up trying to figure out what it was and just convinced myself it was the engine telling me it loved me...
From what nearly everyone on the board says it's normal, so I guess I was right
Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know, I had the EXACT same thing, idle to 1.5k RPMs, especially under a load, warm or cold. Stayed the same even after new internal parts with a cam swap, etc.

I then took the AIR and EGR off my car when I did the swap, capping off the pipes off the headers that connect to the AIR emissions system.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

I read that if there is a tiny leak where the AIR system connects to the headers/exhaust manifolds, this is the sound it makes. Try looking into that. If that turns out fine, don't worry about it.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMALLBLOCKHERO
dump the oil and look for metal flakes in it , cut open the filter and look for metal in the pleats . if nothing..... prolly a shot lifter or sumthin.
Changed the oil recently and inspected the oil. No flakes, dust, silver or copperish in the oil.

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
You know, I had the EXACT same thing, idle to 1.5k RPMs, especially under a load, warm or cold. Stayed the same even after new internal parts with a cam swap, etc.

I then took the AIR and EGR off my car when I did the swap, capping off the pipes off the headers that connect to the AIR emissions system.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
Yeah, that's what I didn't want to do, as far as replace cam/lifters etc... only to have the noise remain. I do, however, have a set of pacesetter LT's in the garage, and I will have to see if that makes a change when I get around to installing them.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This sounds like classic piston slap, which is nothing to worry about.

My '02 does the exact same thing, and has been for all the years and 10s of thousands of miles I've owned it. Even after the engine is warm, it will still be there a little bit unless the outside temps are above 70° or so.
From all I've read on the topic I'm leaning towards piston slap as well. It just never completely goes is away is the part that is annoying me.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Yeah, Polynikes I believe you are just talking about the 'normal' sounds of these LS1 engines. Mine has been doing that since 2001. Some days more noticeable than others and usally completely gone when fully warmed up.
Yeah, I guess it's just more of an annoyance than anything. Car runs strong! It hasn't got any worse, and I don't notice any adverse effects from it. I'll just let it eat until I'm done with my other project and can get started doing some mods on this one. Thanks guys
Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

lol, yea i never used him just wanted to get his feedback and i thought it was nonsense so i never changed to regular oil.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same problem! I'm gana get true duals with dumps at the axle so I hear more exhaust noise instead of piston slap
Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone here ever put there fbody on a dyno after they got piston slap?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jamal
Yes, it will not b any different than going to the Track or Beating on it on the Street !
Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Polynikes
Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar symptoms and what came of it.
2002 Z28 A4 62K Bone Stock
What I know:
-Steady (not erratic) clack/tick noise at idle up to about ~1.5K rpm while in reverse or in gear. Speeds up with rpm's but over 1.5K it's quiet as a mouse.
-Oil pressure is strong, steady, and responsive. It never goes below 40.
-Car runs strong, no loss of power.
-Popped the inspection cover off the transmission and looked for a good while for cracks in the flexplate, and I couldn't see any unless they're behind the converter pads.
-Searched all over the engine with a mechanics stethascope, and it seems to be most noticeable at the front of the valley cover and intake.

I thought it may be piston slap, but it never goes away even fully warmed up though it quiets down a little when warm. Then maybe cracked flexplate, but after inspection maybe not. Leads me to believe it's a possible lifter, but I have know way of knowing for sure I guess without yanking the heads. Like I said just curious if anyone has had the same symptoms or if it's even something to worry about.
I have the same exact thing, I think.a lot of people do. Gets quieter in warmer temps. Don't worrie about it.
I have piston slap, I have a lid and a cat-back and I put down 310 so I dont think piston slap affects engine performance.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

I have Lts,ported tb,slp maf,lid and catback if I put anywhere around 310 I would b happy
Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

I have Lts,ported tb,slp maf,lid and catback if I put anywhere around 310 I would b happy
If you have a ls1 you should be over 310 with the mods you listed.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

my piston slap in my 03 tahoe, w/5.3L, always goes away within minutes, so i dont think that is what your noise is. i did have a noise similar to yours (in my 98 z28) and mine went away when i took off the air/egr systems.

Quick Reply: Clacking/Ticking Noise at Idle to ~1.5K