Sponsored by:

NASP NOOB LS1 tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASP NOOB LS1 tuning questions

Hi,
I have a 2000 Camaro LS1 SS engine in a Honda S2000 and want to get some more power out of it.

At the moment I have :
Hooker long pipes
3" exhaust with X
LS6 plastic intake
90mm Cone airfilter
Tune with HPtuner

I am looking for more power and have read a lot on the forum but it doesn't all make a lot of sense to me.

Can I simply buy a cam and get my heads skimmed/machined and expect to get a good power gain? If so how much do I need to skim off and what cam should I buy?

Or do I need to buy new heads? My heads have cast mark 853 on them.

Also do I need valves, push rods etc if I keep my heads and skim them?

Thanks a lot for your help and I know this info is on the forum but I am struggling to make sense of it all.

What power should I hope to see?

Luke
Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Track car or DD, this will help us determine a cam that will work for you. Also auto or m6? You could just buy a cam and slap it in, but def. not recommended. With a new cam you should replace lifters at the least, you should replace pusbrods their prone to bending in these motors at higher lift and rpm's. If your on a budget check around in the classifieds for a set of 243 heads. Even if their not ls6 243's they will net you good gains with the right cam. The difference between a ls2 243 and ls6 243 are the valves. The ls6 243heads have hollow intake and sodium filled exhaust valves. Their worth alil more but often are overpriced. ls6 243 usually $500+, while ls2 243 are $400-500, usually. With the right cam/heads/tune you could see 50+ fairly easy. You can mill your heads but not alot, depending what you will have in a mill job it would be best to find them heads. If you have a bigger budget you can find a set nm of prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads, very good heads. these are aftermarket and their cnc'ed. For the money their tuff to beat. Usually around $1000ish used. If you can find some Dart 205's those are also good heads at a reasonable price used. With those heads and a cam you could see 75+hp. Hope this helps
Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is M6 (T56) and it is my DD but I do only work a few miles down a good windy road away.

So is it not worth working on the 853 heads I have as I have a spare set. Or am I best to go with some 243s?

If I find some 243s then what else will I need to buy?

Cams (which is best)
Pushrods (or would these come with my new heads)
Anything else worth changing whilst doing the cam?

And with the mods I listed above what sort of HP do you think I should see with a good tune on some 99ron fuel?

Thanks a lot
Old 12-07-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There is no best cam, it depends on how you want the car to drive and where you want to make power. Research is your best friend.

You HAVE to do these while doing a head/cam swap:

cam, pushrods, springs, headgaskets, timing chain

You SHOULD do some of these things depending on the budget:

lifters, trays, head bolts, trunion upgrade, water pump, gaskets, oil pump