Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam swap question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam swap question

Ill be gettin the trex cam/springs etc./pushrods/oil pump/dual roller timing chain and gaskets for my car from thunder racing soon and I'm thinkin it would be easier for me to pull my heads and take them to my buddy and let him swap all that on the heads at a machine shop. Ill get new gaskets and arp head bolts just tryin to save me some trouble since I know the springs and such will be rite at least lol. What intake gaskets will I need? Also I'm ordering long tube headers. I now have stock everything except a slp loudmouth starting at the 6 pipe to duals. I would like to know if I can run the headers with a 3 inch y pipe into a x pipe and leave it like that till I get some bullets thanks
Old 12-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Anybody?
Old 12-06-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

That don't make sence to me, you want to run a Y pipe off the headers into an X pipe! The only thing you can do with the Y pipe is run it into a single pipe like the factory! Or if you have an X pipe, that is your true dual setup that you need to mate to the collector of the headers and put the bullets on the other end, you could just install your X without the mufflers for now, it's just gonna be really loud.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Unless you had already planned on changing the lifters and trays, pulling the heads creates a lot more work.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think about it, how you going to run an y pipe into a x pipe? Why not have your buddy come to you and swap out your valvetrain while it's on the car? What's the benefit of taking your heads off and taking them to him?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Teching In

I didn't mean that lol headers and y pipe or headers and x pipe? And I know it takes a lot more work but I ain't doin the springs and ges gonna clean the heads too for free that will save me 10 hours of tryin to do springs. I have all the gaskets I need too.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the rockers and headers off it take an hour or less to change springs with the heads on the car
Old 12-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Idk how to do it and I don't have the tools at my shop. I'm not worried about a little extra work as long as there right! U think headers and just a x pipe at the rearend would sound good
Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another guy caught up in the big cams are best and it wil make me the most hp, op listen i would really put some time into reading about the trex and other big cams, big cams are not a budget way of going fast what so ever, there max effort cams that need max effort parts, as far as the exhaust goes you will want a good dual setup for that cam, good intake, a good gear, injectors, that will get you started on the right path, if your going to pull the heads i would fly cut while your at it, i know that they say you wil be fine but trust me its something you should look into, i will also add you can get a big cam sound on a much smaller profile, if your building a race car, mean weekend car by all means go for it, it will be great if you build the rest of the car up, but just throwing that cam in there on a pretty much stock car , it wont be long before you will want something smaller,and if its a street car you will want more power in the low ,mid rpm range, t rex stock car all your power will be way above 4k

Last edited by BOBS99SS; 12-09-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: !!!!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and shoot for 1 7/8th headers