Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e slipping. How can i check it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e slipping. How can i check it?

Probably about 3 months ago I was coming home from school, and I was pushing the car a little on the highway. When i got off my exit, I realized the car was slipping like crazy in every gear. Luckily I was right by my house, but recently i took it back out and its doing the same thing ( cold and hot ), I was hoping it was some freak thing that randomly happened.

It still pulls in the lower rpms but slips bad in higher like 2500 - 3000.
The car has 144000 miles and is stock, but does anyone have a similar experience or have any incite on how to check what it could be. I was hoping it was the torque converter but have a feeling its internal.

If it is internal would I be better off just sending it out to have it built to hold like 500 hp, cause the car is eventually going to be built to about 450 hp. Is there anything wrong with having the tranny built before anything else, just makes more sense to build it once to me instead of again later.

Thanks guys
Old 12-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Banned

yeah get it built man and do atleast a 3000 stall...a decent built 4L60E should run you (assuming you take yours out and take it to a builder) 1,200-1,400$ and anything over that tell them to kiss your ***!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
yeah get it built man and do atleast a 3000 stall...a decent built 4L60E should run you (assuming you take yours out and take it to a builder) 1,200-1,400$ and anything over that tell them to kiss your ***!
Don't listen to the above about the prices. He is way off. First off don't get the transmission rebuilt by a local shop. They never last and usually don't build a transmission for high power. If you want to get a tranny built for 500hp you should go with a FLT, Performabuilt, or a good well known shop for building high hp trans. It will run around $2k if you pull it and send in your core return. Good luck
Old 12-07-2011, 01:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure where Ilovechevy1 gets his information or his transmissions built. But, if you were to do a survey of shops who build high end 4L60E's then you will find that the market average is several hundred dollars above that price. And that's an average mind you.

I can tell you that for a nice, well built transmission to live in a late model F-Body that makes any decent power it will require at least $700 - $800 in parts alone. And that's not counting the electronics nor any damaged components that need to be replaced.

Of course, there's always the saying you get what you pay for too.

Back to the original question.... No sir there's not one thing wrong with having your transmission built to be able to handle the sort of power you're talking about prior to having the engine built up. In fact, it is a recommendation I make to folks quite often.

If your transmission is symptomatic now and you're needing it rebuilt then I would highly recommend looking at some of the sponsors here. And while your at it feel free to give me a call in order to discuss some options you have that you may not know about.

Good Luck either way! and have fun building the car!

g
Old 12-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

wow you guys acting like i dont' know what i'm talking about huh?..google search>>.Godley's performance transmissions...this guy builds tranny forv REAL RACE CARS! (like 4 foot wheel standing 5 second 8th mile cars)!...I pulled mine out and took it to his shop (they are local to where i live) and the rebuild to handle my 520 RWHP SS costed me only 1,250 bucks but he added a TCI 3000 stall for another 700..so for less than 2k i got a awesome tranny and stall package..and i have been running this tranny for about 20 months as my DD (i got a heavy foot as well) and have about 160 passes in the low 11 sec area and not only has it been taking the abuse from my procharger along with the rest of my mods, it has also been taking abuse from my Moser 12 bolt with 3.90 gears wich I recently installed and it should make for a high 10's run now...just because you guys dont' know how to shop around for your options and think that just cause most ppl pay 2,500 bucks for a built 4L60E does'nt mean smarter ppl dont' know how to look around for a shop that builds great tranny's and wont rip you off...why the hell should a tranny rebuild cost over 2k anyway?...please guys be careful when you say someone does'nt know what they are talking about..

the facts are my tranny lasted me only 5 days after the procharger was hitting it hard and the tranny lost 3rd and 4th I shopped around online for the usual..Monster trans, Century, you name it and I called and asked thier prices.. was told from another drag racer who has used Godley's performance transmission for years and he said they wont rip you off and they do an awesome job..1 week wait time and i had a very well built 4L60E that i have been beating the **** out of for close to 2 years now..cutting many 1.6 60ft times..it shifts hard, and just feels like a race trans should!..just cause you guys did'nt find a good deal does'nt mean the OP cant' ..good luck OP and just take your time looking around before you settle with those places that charge 2000+ bucks for a rebuild..the parts they need cost 500-700 bucks tops and 1,500 dollars for labor is ridiculous..they should be ashamed

Last edited by ilovechevy1; 12-07-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: i'm weetarded
Old 12-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Launching!

wow you guys acting like i dont' know what i'm talking about huh?..google search>>.Godley's performance transmissions...this guy builds tranny forv REAL RACE CARS! (like 4 foot wheel standing 5 second 8th mile cars)!...I pulled mine out and took it to his shop (they are local to where i live) and the rebuild to handle my 520 RWHP SS costed me only 1,250 bucks but he added a TCI 3000 stall for another 700..so for less than 2k i got a awesome tranny and stall package..and i have been running this tranny for about 20 months as my DD (i got a heavy foot as well) and have about 160 passes in the low 11 sec area and not only has it been taking the abuse from my procharger along with the rest of my mods, it has also been taking abuse from my Moser 12 bolt with 3.90 gears wich I recently installed and it should make for a high 10's run now...just because you guys dont' know how to shop around for your options and think that just cause most ppl pay 2,500 bucks for a built 4L60E does'nt mean smarter ppl dont' know how to look around for a shop that builds great tranny's and wont rip you off...why the hell should a tranny rebuild cost over 2k anyway?...please guys be careful when you say someone does'nt know what they are talking about..

the facts are my tranny lasted me only 5 days after the procharger was hitting it hard and the tranny lost 3rd and 4th I shopped around online for the usual..Monster trans, Century, you name it and I called and asked thier prices.. was told from another drag racer who has used Godley's performance transmission for years and he said they wont rip you off and they do an awesome job..1 week wait time and i had a very well built 4L60E that i have been beating the **** out of for close to 2 years now..cutting many 1.6 60ft times..it shifts hard, and just feels like a race trans should!..just cause you guys did'nt find a good deal does'nt mean the OP cant' ..good luck OP and just take your time looking around before you settle with those places that charge 2000+ bucks for a rebuild..the parts they need cost 500-700 bucks tops and 1,500 dollars for labor is ridiculous..they should be ashamed
Whats the parts list in your $1,250.00 "race trans"
Old 12-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
Whats the parts list in your $1,250.00 "race trans"
To be honest I did'nt get into the deatails with the builder.I simply explained I have a prochaged 99 SS that makes 500+ RWHP (520 now) and that i drive it daily and race it at the track often and that i have a heavy foot and need one to shift hard and fast..he said "no problem" i came back in one week and picked it up and installed it back in myself..was nearly 2 years ago..many passes on it..many street races..many 2-4 hour drives..the owner of the shop ( Godley Performance transmission) told me he does this all the time and then showed me a picture book of many racecars they had built their tranny's for, these where like 7-8 second 1/4th cars and low 5 sec 8th mile cars..I asked what kinda warranty do i get?..he giggled and said i wont' break it with only 500hp ( best warranty i have ever heard!!)..nearly 2 years later he's been right cause it has'nt so muched as slipped a lil on me yet. please just simply search for the shop...Godley Performance transmission..everyone there is very professional and thier prices are what everyone really wants to pay..they also sell their tans from thier websites and if you take your car to them they only charge 100 dollars to remove and then reinstall the trans..they are a top notch race trans shop..i stand by them..check out their website and look at the cars they have the trannys in!!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

so far this is one of my faster passes i have made with my car but this was back before i painted it black and before i installed the Moser 12 bolt with 3.90 gears..this run was an 11.4 @ 119 and a 1.6 60ft..and it was on the old 10 bolt with 3.23 gears http://www.youtube.com/user/iloveche.../0/ExEScKDFJeU
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$700 for a TCI 3000 rpm stall? Seems pretty high! I got my Circle D for not much more than that...

Searched the shop. Not sure how often he updates the sight, but last update was 2004. All prices are current through 2004 though!

Last edited by Sarg; 12-07-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so far this is one of my faster passes i have made with my car but this was back before i painted it black and before i installed the Moser 12 bolt with 3.90 gears..this run was an 11.4 @ 119 and a 1.6 60ft..and it was on the old 10 bolt with 3.23 gears http://www.youtube.com/user/iloveche.../0/ExEScKDFJeU
The only vid I watched was the one where you talk **** to somebody in a video. Your car is also slow for the mods. My n/a car is faster . If it was me i would have left the car pewter. Black is to hard to keep cleen. That aside your car does look pretty good, but I would be looking into why it isn't running faster than it is.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
The only vid I watched was the one where you talk **** to somebody in a video. Your car is also slow for the mods. My n/a car is faster . If it was me i would have left the car pewter. Black is to hard to keep cleen. That aside your car does look pretty good, but I would be looking into why it isn't running faster than it is.
the vid where i talked **** to someone in the vid was easily justified if you had simply read the vid description and seen my reasons. The kid with the Honda startesd it and i was just finishing it. I can assure that my car is faster than a 11.3 now (just have'nt been back to the track yet to get new times) the 11.3 was ran on my stock 10 bolt witht 3.23 gears. I NOW have a Moser 12 bolt with 3.90 gears so i'm def around the 10.8 range. There are also other reasons i'm not as fast as i should be!
i run only 6 psi ( soon cranking it to 10)
running a LS6 intake and not a F.a.s.t
i have mid tube headers with cats! and no exhaust cutouts
i have stock untouched 853 heads (the worst LS1 heads ever)
a 3000 stall vs your 4k stall and had 3.23 gears vs your 3.73's ( now got 3.90's! woot)
and i have a small cam (installed by previous owner) and is'nt even close to being a good boost cam so it's hurting me and going in soon will be a Brute speed boost cam and that will help alot

i hate making excuses but saying my car is slow for the mods is close to bench racing..pple seem to think that having a supercharger makes you run 10's instantly and that's just not the case..just like alot of other combos they have to have proper combos like a cam to back up the boost (wich i dont' have) and have a good flowing exhaust and mine is not!

and honestly yes i wish i'd left the damn car pewter..this black even tho it looks really nice, is a ******* headache to keep clean and the next color i'm shooting for is the orange the the new Dodge challengers comes with (not the burnt orange but the lighter almost hugger orange) i think that **** will look right and i wont' have to clean it every two days.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sarg
$700 for a TCI 3000 rpm stall? Seems pretty high! I got my Circle D for not much more than that...

Searched the shop. Not sure how often he updates the sight, but last update was 2004. All prices are current through 2004 though!
yeah i'm not sure why he insisted i got a 3k TCI stall. They said they have great sucess with them and from the cars they have built, I cant' dissagree with them at all ..because race transmissions is ALL they do.The man who runs it is just one them Southern GA ( Moultrie GA to be exact) type of old men who are just simply not that interested into vast marketing and becoming super rich. He simply has a very nice and very well know locally ( all of GA lol) Race trans shop where he does'nt overcharge ppl just to replace a few weak stock parts for some stronger aftermarket parts. Man was also very nice and said it would take him 7 days to get the tranny done (his team did it in 6 days) and never charged 1 cent over what he said it would cost .He REALLY does need to update that site tho. when I raced my car at the pony wars held @ SGMP (south GA motorsports park) in October I think it was...I was runner up in the 11 second class and barely beat a naturally aspirated 86 Z28 that was leaving hard on the trans break and he picked it up about 2 feet on every launch that day. he simply did'nt have enough power with his H/C/I old style 350 to keep me from coming around him after the 8th mile. I asked the guy how does he like his Godley Trans, he replied " has'nt gave me an trouble for over 3 years since built"..the owner said my tranny should'nt break @ only 500+ RWHP but he told me if it did to just call him back and he would make me happy. I assume he would rebuilt it again for next to nothing in price...i'm not some nutt hugger for this shop..just a very satisfied customer backing up a great race trans shop owned by some down soth GA men who are there to do it right the 1st time and not rip you off and give service with a smile to keep you returning and to tell your freinds about your great experience. Wich is better than marketing in my book.Somethimes tho, too much bussines can be bad. Look at MWC and the rear ends they produce..they make the best rear-ends period and are in such of a demand ppl are having to wait 3 months or more just to get your rear. It may be good that everybody and their moma does'nt know about this trans shop because in less than a weak he can rebuild a broken stock trans into a beastly race trans.

Last edited by ilovechevy1; 12-08-2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: i'm stoopid thats why lol
Old 12-08-2011, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just seems a lot to pay for a TCI converter. The one I grabbed from Circle D is a VERY nice custom converter for about $25 more than the TCI you bought. Also I did not see any mention of 4L60E transmissions on his site.
Don't get me wrong, I also get all my transmissions built local by a guy, Andy Mullins at Versatile, who has been building transmissions for 17 years and stands behind his work. I would definitely not hesitate to put his transmissions behind any motor. Just because a company is big does not mean they are the best. Sometimes you are just paying for a name.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sarg
Just seems a lot to pay for a TCI converter. The one I grabbed from Circle D is a VERY nice custom converter for about $25 more than the TCI you bought. Also I did not see any mention of 4L60E transmissions on his site.
Don't get me wrong, I also get all my transmissions built local by a guy, Andy Mullins at Versatile, who has been building transmissions for 17 years and stands behind his work. I would definitely not hesitate to put his transmissions behind any motor. Just because a company is big does not mean they are the best. Sometimes you are just paying for a name.
thanks man, it sounds like you understand. I did'nt know i was going to continue to mod my car at the rate i have been, otherwise i would've went ahead and gotten a better stall and one with a higher stall speed maybe 3,800-4 K...but yeah he does 4L60Es at their shop..they honestly do any transmission you can give them but the ones the have listed online are probally their more common ones and thats maybe why they listed them with a price..if my tranny goes out on me again ..of if it even strts to slip on me a lil bit , then i wont' hesitate to drive 2 and half hours back to Godley's shop and let him do his thing again..this time he would be able to see what it was that medded up and then go overboard fixing that particular part as well as seeing where the wear is caused..if he does it again, it would no doubt be at a highly discounted rate..srry OP did'nt mean to hijack your thread..i did'nt think it would shock that many ppl that their are some good race tranny shops out there who are'nt just in it for the money but instead are in it to provide an awesome product without ripping them off and keep customers coming back again..like the shop I went to does
Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Launching!

I have been looking at alot of the sponsors to get a idea of price. Theres really no transmission shops around me which sucks so id rather get it built by a sponsor. I know there are probably decent shops around me but its hard to really get a review from people. Performabuilt is the closest to me, but it seems the sponsors have a good rep so thats good.
I'll guess I'll start by draining the tranny and checking for clutch material or metal shavings, then get ready to pull it since its most likely internal anyway. I was hoping it was just the torque converter, but at least this is a reason to build the tranny and get a stall.

Quick Reply: 4l60e slipping. How can i check it?