Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 In 71 Chevelle, Pulley Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 In 71 Chevelle, Pulley Q's

I'm helping my buddy finish up this swap on his 71 and have a quick question. The motor is all mounted up and everything clears except the stock PS pulley, It hits the PS gearbox. I mentioned we could possibly swap out the mounts to LS1 camaro style and get it all to fit but he would rather figure out how to make this setup work. Has anyone seen a setup like this on a 71 chevelle? Do you happen to have any recommendations on what we can do to make it work? Do they make smaller diameter pulleys that still lines up in the proper place? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.. The LS1 swap on my 63 chevy c10 went a lot smoother but that's probably because I didn't have power steering

nathan
Old 12-07-2011, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Smaller pulley works. Some ford van and mid-90s GM car pulleys will work. Don't recall the model numbers off hand but this is a pretty common scenario. I think if you search "steering pulley" or something similar you'll find more info. Personally I would avoid a plastic pulley if at all possible.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Smaller pulley works. Some ford van and mid-90s GM car pulleys will work. Don't recall the model numbers off hand but this is a pretty common scenario. I think if you search "steering pulley" or something similar you'll find more info. Personally I would avoid a plastic pulley if at all possible.
thank you for the kind response, I know I'm new here and I was afraid someone would say " use the search feature next time "

I have been searching quite a bit and I do see the jeep pulley as a option, or even the relocation kit http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Vo...ket,42493.html

but if I can get this done with just a pulley swap that's still the best way to do it. I just need to find out which pulley I need and I am hoping someone knows. It's a 6.0 from a truck so it has all the truck accessories now, so I'll need a pulley that will bolt up to the factory PS pump. Please keep the replies coming and in the mean time I will continue my searches. Thank you.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 'use the search function' isn't meant to be dismissive, it's simply the best answer. Reading through the results will also show you what not to do and give you more options than a simple "use this". But I use truck accessories and had to do the same thing you are doing. I think most every pulley you get from a parts house will be plastic, so a trip to the pull a part is the best advice I can give you. The thing about expensive brackets is that while they might solve one problem they could be creating another.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't recall the part # , but you can use a pulley from a late 90's Ford van (4.2L). The one I used is made by Dorman, is a high impact plastic and was about $15.00. To make it work I had to space the pump back toward the engine off the bracket a bit. If you need a picture I can get one for you. It is a fairly simple process. A bigger challenge is mating your pump and hoses to the Chevelle steering box.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Swap the pump for a grand cherokee box and use your stock hoses.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Whole thread on this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...swap-pics.html

Quick Reply: 6.0 In 71 Chevelle, Pulley Q's