Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

PLEASE i know all you guys prolly know exactly whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PLEASE i know all you guys prolly know exactly whats wrong

Haha well at least i got you guys to click on it...anyways i need some quick expertise from you guys. i Have a '94 Firebird 3.4 L yea i know piece of **** but im having problems with my heat. About a year ago i put a new thermostat in it for ***** and giggles...heat worked fine then i also had to replace a rusted out freeze plug on the front of the block so i had the water pump housing off and gaskets replaced because it was in the way. Anyways the floor dash and defroster all will blow so they are working but it NEVER warms up its complete outside air. Ive heard everything it could possibly be but i want to narrow down to what it might be. I checked today after driving the two lines that go through the firewall to the right of the computer and the left was cool/cold and the right was warm. There is no coolant on pass. floorboards so i think the heater core is fine but may be plugged. I dont know whether or not its a vacuum line or what to look for. Cooling system does have proper coolant levels, i dont know what it could be. Also, idk if this is related but my Temp. gauge always sits right at 160 and never fluctuates, and when i changed the T-stat last year it always ran at like 190 degrees,except the other day, parked i noticed the temp started to rise from idling a while. Another thing is back in the summer my A/C blew but was not cold anymore...can this be related? all i know is it sucks driving to class every morning not being able to feel my fingers. I would be so thankful for any input as to what you guys think it might be. hopefully someone can help! thanks a lot
-Adam-
Old 12-08-2011, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your heater core is clogged. Just remove both of the coolant lines that go into the firewall. Stick a hose up to one of them and turn it on and flush it with the hose til the water comes out the other pipe nice and clear. The thermostat issue depends. Stock is a 195 but you can also get 180 and 160 thermostats as well. If someone installed a 160 then I would replace it with a 180. 160 is too low. The AC issue is could be a couple of things. 1. Low or no refrigerant 2. Compressor is not working. First check the refrigerant level. If refrigerant level is low than the compressor will not come on. If refrigerant level is fine then you need to check the compressor. Simply start the car and turn on the AC and see if the clutch pack in the middle of the compressor pully starts spinning. If it is sitting still then the compressor is not kicking on. Note: If your refrigerant level is low than you have a leak somewhere. Refilling it may get it cooling again, but for how long depends on the size of the leak.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Teching In

sweet! someone actually trying to help me...i give you a high five...but yea thats what im thinking with the heater core...ill ook at the thermostat or replace it as well but the A/C im not at all worried about right now i just was wondering if it was directly or indirectly related to the heat issue but im going to try and flush the heater core...your thinking thats what it is? because yea it seems to me that with a heater core with proper flow throughout should cause both lines going to and from to be warm...yet the left is cold/cool and the right is as warm as the upper and lower rad. hoses. thanks
-adam-
Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MonsterMan454
A/C im not at all worried about right now i just was wondering if it was directly or indirectly related to the heat issue but im going to try and flush the heater core...your thinking thats what it is? thanks
-adam-
A/c has nothing to do with the heat not working
Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If flushing the heater core doesn't fix it you might need a new water pump. When the fins get wore down they can't force the water into the heater core and your motor will still get enough water circulation to not over heat but you won't have a heater. Try flushing it first because that's a good idea anyway.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Sounds good im gonna flush that heater core...ill get back to let you guys know what hapenned. thanks!
-Adam-
Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

So it worked before fixing the freeze plug and hasn't worked since then? That sounds like an air pocket in the heater core to me. Did you bleed the air out of the heater core lines? I don't know the specifics on the 3.4 F-body, but I've had cars where the heater core was high enough that air pockets would collect in it and regular cooling system bleeding doesn't get it out. You have to take one of the hoses off the heater core and fill until water comes out of the heater hose. The way I do it is get a Prestone cooling system flush kit. It has a T fitting the plumb into the heater hose, so I just open the cap on the fitting a bit and let the air out when filling up my system. You can also hook a garden hose directly to the T-fitting and fill the heater core and hoses after flushing. Just draining the radiator usually doesn't require it - but since you replaced a freeze plug, the block would have been drained as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

since ive changed t stat,, heater temp doesnt get as high

Quick Reply: PLEASE i know all you guys prolly know exactly whats wrong