PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners Standard version without Wideband

Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HP Tuners Standard version without Wideband

My car was tuned when I got my cam and headers installed, I was never 100% happy with the tune, and always wished I could tweak and change a few things. Since my tune I have done a head swap from my stock 806 heads to 243's and I am about to install a yank ss 3200 stall so I know it will be time for a re-tune.

Since we are picking our own christmas gifts this year, I was looking at possibly getting the HP Tuner's standard edition without the wideband, would I be able to make the proper adjustments without the wideband for my new mods, or would I be wasting my money? I never have liked being dependent on somebody else to tune my car.

I don't know a whole lot about tuning yet, but willing to read and learn.

Last edited by mike171562; 12-09-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always run the wideband separate, or give it an input like the EGR solenoid. I am sure that write up is either on here or HP Tuners forum on how to do that.

You can do anything you want with the standard version, since normally the wideband is used only for WOT stuff. I believe it is ALOT safer and more controlled to do the WOT tuning on a dyno. You will get the best graph from it. Normally any shop with a dyno will have a wideband input with it, so I would use that then you can change it via RPM or MPH in your tune file, whichever they have mapped out.

Plus it is alot easier to help people when they can post up any relative scans and tune files to get on the right track.

I would do it.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, from what I'm reading I can tune it without the wideband, except for WOT, so since my heads have changed, i would not be able to go WOT until I get a wideband to read AFR's at WOT. Would the an 806 - 243 upgrade, be that far off?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It would be a better idea not to too much, but it depends on what AFR your car was running at before. Most likely the AFR will not have changed THAT much to be ok at WOT, but its always better to be safe than sorry.

It entirely depends on what AFR you were running at before.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gectek
It would be a better idea not to too much, but it depends on what AFR your car was running at before. Most likely the AFR will not have changed THAT much to be ok at WOT, but its always better to be safe than sorry.

It entirely depends on what AFR you were running at before.
Is that something the tuner would have saved? , its been about a year, but he used HP Tuners.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can ask him. Did he tune it on a dyno with wideband? If so then he should either have graph or should know.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was tuned on a dynojet, but it wasnt on the graph I got and I didn't really know enough at the time to ask for it. I sent him an Email so we'll see, i think im going to go ahead and get it and start learning, thanks for the info.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lean Is hot. To lean you will need a new engine. If you add airflow you will go lean. The fuel trim factors will help. I do not understand people to spend the money to make there faster and then cheap out on a tune. Get HPT with the WB input and a wide band. It can save you big bucks in the end. One year I saw 4 engine on the floor for being to lean.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:38 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Dont even think about tuning your own car unless your ready to invest in the following...

Hp Tuners Pro
Wideband
www.TheTuningSchool.com (Beginner/Advanced Learn at Home Coarse)

Why?

Because most people who buy Hp Tuners get frustrated after the 1st month realizing that stickies and google searches are not going to teach you how to fully understand how to tune a car.

Trust me, I spent a year chasing down "How/What/Why/When" before I finally gave in more $'s investing in real results.

Wideband/Tuning Classes = Best investment I ever made!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But using the standard version will get you where you need to be so you can be safe and run a wideband on the dyno. IMO its NOT safe to be running 100+ MPH on the street just trying to dial in afr for WOT.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

get a pro it is well worth the extra money and so much easier to tune with
Old 12-10-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

You don't have to buy a wide band to tune your own car.

You can go to a dyno and use their wide band. Also, you will be tuning to know where your ACTUAL peak torque occurs and not just where you THINK it occurs.

You can also tune with out a wide band at all, if you tune using your knock sensors. I would not recommend someone in your shoes doing this though.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SATAN
You don't have to buy a wide band to tune your own car.

You can go to a dyno and use their wide band. Also, you will be tuning to know where your ACTUAL peak torque occurs and not just where you THINK it occurs.

You can also tune with out a wide band at all, if you tune using your knock sensors. I would not recommend someone in your shoes doing this though.
I would not agree with your last statement at all. Knock gives you no idea of your actual AFR. You can run 10:1 and still show knock for any number of reasons.

It is a tad easier to tune with the Pro and a Wideband input, but you can get your standard upgraded to pro for about $279 later on if you want. Using the pro to tune with a wideband requires quite a bit more learning than just using a dyno and its wideband.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gectek
I would not agree with your last statement at all. Knock gives you no idea of your actual AFR. You can run 10:1 and still show knock for any number of reasons.
Yeah, you are probably right. I mean, after all... wide bands have been around since the dawn of the internal combustion engine. That is obviously how they have always been tuned. Nobody ever used to read plugs and listen for knock before...
Old 12-11-2011, 12:41 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Yeah, you are probably right. I mean, after all... wide bands have been around since the dawn of the internal combustion engine. That is obviously how they have always been tuned. Nobody ever used to read plugs and listen for knock before...
ANYONE with common sense would tell you when inexpensive tools are available to protect your investment you put away your '60's tuning advice.

A wideband is only $250.

Reading plugs and relying on KR is reactive, not proactive.

Pay to play.

One way (noob uses recommended sensor) or another (noob with blown engine).

Stupid is as stupid does...
Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, because tuning with a set of mickey mouse ears on is SO professional.

"Hey Jimmy, just wave your hand when you hear knock and tell me how loud it is. If it just barely there, we will just take a degree out and square up the jets!"

You do realize that not all EFI vehicles came with knock sensors right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HP Tuners Standard version without Wideband