Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

06 GTO vs. cammed ls camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 GTO vs. cammed ls camaro?

On the feeder of 45 north i pulled up to a black either a z28 or an ss, wasnt too sure from behind. It had a pretty decent cam in it and an ls1tech.com license plate frame. Had a really loud exhaust. We raced from about a 50 roll, he let me pull then he got on it. He started to pull ahead to about 2 lengths but i hung with him. I expected it because my car is bone stock. But it was a good race. His passenger was videoing the race but I have yet to see the video anywhere. I was hoping he would have posted it on here.

Btw im new here, got on cuz his plate frame led me here.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just say you raced a camaro with an exhaust till we get more info from the other person if he comes on. We dont know if he has an auto, what his exact mods are and so on. Either way you hung with him and good race.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just because it's loud doesnt mean it's cammed. Most bolt on z28's will walk an ls2 gto
Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are your mods?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
Just because it's loud doesnt mean it's cammed. Most bolt on z28's will walk an ls2 gto
It had a cam. I sat behind it at the light for a good 30 seconds. I have owned many cars, and driven my uncles cammed c6 z06 for 6 months. The entire car was shaking from the cam. But like I said I knew my car being stock and his not being stock that he was going to win. Just love the car he had and wanted to run. I was actually going to get a camaro before I got the gto but the ls2 and the interior won me over.

And as far as waiting for him to chime in, all I know that would set his car apart so someone could identify, he had one large maybe 4 or 5 inch tip on the driver side that was sort of turned down.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSsick
What are your mods?
Well the car is bone stock, other than the magnaflow x pipe I had installed that day to replace the resonator and two dynomax race bullets to replace the mufflers.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Teching In

And if the question mark in the title makes it seem like I didnt know if it was cammed or not, it was because i never saw headlights to tell if it was an ls car or and lt car.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it could go either way. driver's play a large role in such interactions.

consider that he gave you the hit, that's worth a length in my book. overcoming the hit and pulling 2 more from a 50 roll to...what speed? 110-120 says that's a fairly quick car.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

I vote cammed, LS2 GTOs are no joke from a roll. I put 2ish cars on a bolt-om camaro when I was stock, and 1-2 cars on a cammed T/A with just my bolt-ons, but then again I do walk most f-bodys from a roll, not too bad for a LS2 GTO.

me vs cammed T/A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1GHZ7xRf2c
Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chriswildermuth
I vote cammed, LS2 GTOs are no joke from a roll. I put 2ish cars on a bolt-om camaro when I was stock, and 1-2 cars on a cammed T/A with just my bolt-ons, but then again I do walk most f-bodys from a roll, not too bad for a LS2 GTO.

me vs cammed T/A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1GHZ7xRf2c
Here we go again, even though what you say is most likely pretty true!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Here we go again, even though what you say is most likely pretty true!
Dude your ugly *** camaro is a piece.....get something worth while.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

W
Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
How u figure??...Most full bolt on ls1 fbods put down 340ish ls2 goats put that down bone stock to the paper filter..
Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BM6GTO
Dude your ugly *** camaro is a piece.....get something worth while.
Wow thats a good one, that really hurt my feelings You do realize I was sticking up for the GTO right dumb ***! It was a response to the vid of that guy beating a cammed 4th gen! That starts a **** storm most of the time LMAO
Old 12-12-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PBMGTO
W

How u figure??...Most full bolt on ls1 fbods put down 340ish ls2 goats put that down bone stock to the paper filter..
I agree... the 4th gens have a nice launch advantage at the track, but from a roll the 6.0 gto,s and M6 5th gens are monsters! Even though they wiegh more its hard to over come a car that has an anywere from 80-100hp more in a roll race.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is my experience with an LS2 GTO. My car is in sig. My friend has a 05 GTO 6spd. When I was full exhaust, 3.90 gear, and drop-in k&n filter. I raced my friends GTO that was longtubes into stock exhaust, CAI. From a 40&50 roll he would initially jump out by 1/2 car and stay there all the way to 110ish. I added 224r cam and tune he added ms3 and tune. He made 420rwhp 412rwtq on the same dyno I made 407/402. We raced from the same rolls and I win by a fender now. So there it is. I'm proud my lil 224 cam made up the 1/2 car plus a fender on a bigger cube car and a bigger cam from the GTO's bread and butter...roll racing.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

407 is pretty damn strong, I am shure your 3.90 gear helps get that cam in its power range better too! There are allot of things that will change the outcome, I am talking just plain old stock cars with exhaust and intakes. The 4th gen is a monster with less power, easier and better launch and has a 1/4 mile advantage, the GTO's and 5th gens have allot more power from the factory but have the wieght. The ls2 and ls3 powered cars are going to have the speed from a roll, once you start adding gears and cam's thats all out the door! Add gears to the GTO and things are going to change again. Thats all I am saying, not bashing anyones cars here. When your looking at basicly stock cars the these cars have the power to over come the wieght.

My friend has a 06 GTO also, auto with a stall, full exhaust, intake and tune. My car has full exhaust, no tune and a home made intake, M6.... on the track we run dead even, he has a better 60ft and I make more speed. On the street I can take him by over a car in a roll pretty easy. I did that with a passanger too. My brothers 2000 T/A with full exhaust, intake and tune cant beat either one of us, he stays with us but it would definitly take a cam to keep up or beat us. Like I said though, you can change how many things to change the out come, if my brother did an LS6 intake and a cam, I am shure he would take it to us... but not with just his boltons.

Last edited by sweetC5; 12-12-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PBMGTO
W

True x2. However, 9/10 times it seems that stock ls2 goats are a good match for lid/catback fourth gens. Dig or roll, doesn't matter.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweetc5 I agree with everything thing you just said. Im on the mobile site so I can't quote you but yes I believe my 3.90 gear keeps me in my powerband better plus my cam is on a 112 LSA so that helps even more. Needless to say I'm happy in my cam choice and setup my friend was a little angry. He just wouldn't listen to me. I told him "bigger isn't always better" and I proved it right.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

Thats the truth man, thats one of the reasons why I am going with a small cam for now. My car has stock gears and allot of wieght, personally I think it will run better with more power under the curve, and give up some peak power just for the dyno number game. Sounds like you have a beast of a car man, good work!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go again....

As the guy with most likely the most experience racing numerous and varied stock to full bolton GTO's and LS1 Fbodies against my own GTO as it went through all it's stages, I can attest to two things:

all ls1 fbodies were not created equal. the minute you assume you are faster because you beat one or two of them when near stock, you WILL get whooped by one in a roll race that just flat out is faster then you. Maybe 25% of them fall into that 'faster' category I would guess.

Against the 'faster' ls1 fbodies, ls2 GTO's are a outstanding match from a dig or roll, from stock to stock all the way through to full boltons and cam'd. Amazingly close, going either way depending on drivers or individual parts selections. I also have the somewhat unique perspective of having friends that have modded there cars (GTO's and Fbodies) along with me and we seem to be out running at least every month. I also am kind of the local GTO club leader, as in I'm the only guy who ever puts meets together (either that, or they just don't like me enough to invite me to there get-togethers).

Once mods get into the heads/cam/ weight loss/ big slicks/ power adder stages the GTO's start falling behind because of there weight (weight loss is not simple or easy on our cars either) and the IRS. ANY GTO should be able to pull 1.8 to 1.9 60' times with just good tires and maybe drag bags or inner poli bushings if wheel hop is an issue. Fbodies might have a solid axle, but honestly with there weak rearends and mods needed to hook hard, they really don't have an advantage at the launch until you get into fast car territory: sub 1.5's will be easier to get with a fbody. Alot easier.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 12-12-2011 at 03:39 PM.