Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb conversion kit

i have a 87 monte carlo i have lq9 motor i wanna go carb .. are their any carb conversion kits just plug and play .. any info
Old 12-12-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

This has been answered here many times before....but to summarize, it's usually cheaper to go with fuel injection. To go carb'd, you'll need a control box from MSD (i think it's roughly $650), intake (roughly $350-$500), Carb ($300-$700, depending on what you want).

I'm betting that you'll be able to run truck-style injection in your Monte, and save a ton of $$$ since most engines from yards come with just about everything you'll need....minus wiring and pcm. The biggest concern will be hood clearance.

If you have your heart set on going carb'd, I say go for it. If you're thinking that it will be cheaper, think again. If you're thinking it will be easier, it usually isn't. If you're intimidated by fuel injection, don't be....it's easy to wire up, and there are plenty of answers here on this site.

Whichever way you choose to go, best of luck to ya

Welcome to the site!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Prices for the MSD box and intake are a bit high there, bub. The kit with both can be had for about $700 at various retailers.

If you broke it down due to budget constraints, or if you aren't on a tight schedule, you can find deals here in the classifieds. I saved about $175, but the intake (Victor Jr) took a while to find, hawking the ads every day.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I stand corrected on pricing...but you're failing to mention the price of a carb. If you have to source a new one, you're easily over $1k for the setup. That's my point .....it's rarely less expensive than injecton unless you are going with used parts, or happen to already have a carb lying around.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by salemetro
I stand corrected on pricing...but you're failing to mention the price of a carb. If you have to source a new one, you're easily over $1k for the setup. That's my point .....it's rarely less expensive than injecton unless you are going with used parts, or happen to already have a carb lying around.
Start adding up prices for injection parts without them being used, and new carb parts look cheap again. Personally, it would depend on the vehicle for me:
I would go efi in a late model application where a complete fuel system upgrade wouldn't be required using mostly used parts purchased off the forum here or ebay, etc.
For an older car, I'd go with a carb in a minute. For my L92 head/LS2 going into a 61 BelAir - - $310 for the MSD controller, $275 for the Victor L92 intake, already have a carb, but a basic & versatile Holley 3310 - 750cfm can be picked up for under $100 usually. Even with a new carb kit that's under $700.00.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Start adding up prices for injection parts without them being used, and new carb parts look cheap again. Personally, it would depend on the vehicle for me:
I would go efi in a late model application where a complete fuel system upgrade wouldn't be required using mostly used parts purchased off the forum here or ebay, etc.
For an older car, I'd go with a carb in a minute. For my L92 head/LS2 going into a 61 BelAir - - $310 for the MSD controller, $275 for the Victor L92 intake, already have a carb, but a basic & versatile Holley 3310 - 750cfm can be picked up for under $100 usually. Even with a new carb kit that's under $700.00.
I agree...new FI parts are expensive. However, most of these engines are complete with injection from wrecking yards....especially the truck engines. If you're able/want to use the truck intake, it'll only set you back $300-$500 to make it run if you're doing the work yourself. Tank return is not difficult, and inline pumps are about $125.00...along with some minor tank mods. The only drawback that I can think of, is the additional $$ for having to get a mail-order tune to delete un-needed sensors. Now, prices can go up pretty quick if you're wanting to run an ls6 (or in your case l76) intake. Different injectors, pigtails, etc...etc...etc...

It all comes down to what you want, but it can be done pretty cheaply.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regardless of how you get the stuff. IMO DO NOT BUY THE Edelbrock KIT. Buy the MSD 6010, Whatever manifold you want and a properly sized carb. The edelbrock box is a POS IMHO. Go for the MSD with the adjustable timing, rev limiter, timing retard and other capabilities.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2 on the comment about buying the kit vs. buying the manifold and msd seperate...do yourself a favor and buy the intake seperate, then buy the msd 6ls....you will be able to dial in different tunes depending on if you r cruising or drag racing because the 6ls incorporates a map sensor so you can tuine in your vacuum advance. This would be way better than leaving all the enigne tuning up to a "pill". Good luck man...im doing the same thing in an 81 camaro!
Old 12-14-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing wrong with this conversation in here......but for the OP....don't forget there is a carb specific forum where you can research/ask carb specific questions if need be.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Teching In

thnks for da info and comments .. im going to da a carb setup and have it cruising and drag racing also
Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM me if you decide to go this toute. I have the Carb intakes/MSD Box/ and a huge selection of street and race carbs with great prices for Tech members.

Quick Reply: carb conversion kit