Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension on a budget

I have a 3600 stall on a bolt on ls1camaro. What are 1st suspension upgrades I should get so I can launch the car good?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

LCA's, Adjustable TQ Arm/PHB/Sway Bars, SFC's
Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lower Control Arms,Panhard Bar and Adjustable Torque Arm and remove your front swaybar !!!UMI has great prices on this Stuff !!!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

umi does have great prices, pretty sure strano has a kit with everything you will need
Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
umi does have great prices, pretty sure strano has a kit with everything you will need
Thanks for the recommendation

For the poster- Do you have any suspension items now? If so what? How often does the car see the street?

The most inexpensive and best traction items are a set of lower control arms and relocation brackets. These items together work as a lift bar set up planting the tires harder into the ground.

Let us know and we are glad to help. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

No I don't have any suspension mods that I know of. Im not for sure but I think my car might have lowering springs. And this will be a weekend cruiser but I plan to take it to the dragstrip a few times next summer
Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the reply, that helps a lot!

If you are lowered you will most likely experience worst traction. This is caused by the control arm angle in the rear which changes as the vehicle height changes. Correctly this angle with a set of relocation brackets would be a great first start!

Check out the two items I posted below, these would be the first mods I would try and they are the least expensive.

www.umiperformance.com/2015
www.umiperformance.com/2012

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 12-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the links that helped a lot I will order both parts in a few weeks
Old 12-12-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

-good shocks-they need to be better than OEM equivalent
-LCAs' with non-rubber bushings
-LCA ReLos
Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

I'm working on building my suspension as well. My car will be a nice weather dd/occasional track car. I think the consensus here would be shocks/springs no matter what you plan on doing. I put on koni 4/4 and some H&R lowering springs. Hella difference from the crap stock shocks and old springs I had. Next on my list is torque arm + relocation, panhard, and lcas + relocation. Then sway bars and SFCs.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Thanks for the reply, that helps a lot!

If you are lowered you will most likely experience worst traction. This is caused by the control arm angle in the rear which changes as the vehicle height changes. Correctly this angle with a set of relocation brackets would be a great first start!

Check out the two items I posted below, these would be the first mods I would try and they are the least expensive.

www.umiperformance.com/2015
www.umiperformance.com/2012

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
Ryan
I read somewhere that you only need the relo brackets if you lower more than 1". If you use the SLP Bilstein package it drops 3/4" of an inch. Are the relocation brackets needed with such a small drop? I'd like to know because I'm going with this package and the UMI LCA/PHB package with a UMI torque arm.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

start with a good set of tires. MTs are nice.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ronerik
I read somewhere that you only need the relo brackets if you lower more than 1". If you use the SLP Bilstein package it drops 3/4" of an inch. Are the relocation brackets needed with such a small drop? I'd like to know because I'm going with this package and the UMI LCA/PHB package with a UMI torque arm.
I would definitely get them. Even at stock height they help, but when you are lowered it REALLY makes a difference. They're not that expensive anyway in the grand scheme of things.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

The relocation brackets will work on stock height and lowered vehicles.

By changing the control arm angle and making it in a more aggressive angle downward you move the vehicles instant point which will force the rear tires harder into the ground. They are also referred to as anti-squat brackets. So on a stock height vehicle they work as a traction device, basically the same as a lift bar would.

On a lowered car the first hole in the brackets in most cases will place the control arm back in the factory angle as if the vehicle was not lowered. The second hole would add more aggressive angle to the control arm and do what I mentioned above.

So not only are they used as a control arm angle correction device but they are also used as a traction device.

I hope this helps!
Ryan
Old 12-14-2011, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

The relocation brackets will work on stock height and lowered vehicles.

By changing the control arm angle and making it in a more aggressive angle downward you move the vehicles instant point which will force the rear tires harder into the ground. They are also referred to as anti-squat brackets. So on a stock height vehicle they work as a traction device, basically the same as a lift bar would.

On a lowered car the first hole in the brackets in most cases will place the control arm back in the factory angle as if the vehicle was not lowered. The second hole would add more aggressive angle to the control arm and do what I mentioned above.

So not only are they used as a control arm angle correction device but they are also used as a traction device.

I hope this helps!
Ryan
I have a Strange 9" rearend. Will the bolt on ones work or do I have to get the weld on ones?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

I have a Strange 9" rearend. Will the bolt on ones work or do I have to get the weld on ones?

If the entire rear end is actually built by Strange then the bolt in #2012 should work just fine. If only the center section is Strange but the rear end is fabricated by another company weld in would be best. Do you know this information?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

If the entire rear end is actually built by Strange then the bolt in #2012 should work just fine. If only the center section is Strange but the rear end is fabricated by another company weld in would be best. Do you know this information?

Thanks!
I don't have a clue. All I know is that the guy I bought the car off of in August said it was a Strange 9". I didn't know of Strange until 4 months ago. That's how new I am to this. Here are some pics maybe someone can help me out.

EDIT. I don't mean to hijack your thread but as I was looking at the pictures to post I found this (See PIC) What is going on here and what do I need to do. I would have started another thread but didn't see the need to. I apologize if I needed to.

Last edited by Ronerik; 12-15-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:53 AM
FormerVendor

I'll be honest, that is tough to say exactly what rear end brand that is. The weld in would be safest, either # 2010 or # 2011. #2011 is for Moser brand rear ends because they use thicker steel on there control arm mounts and they make the control arm mounts wider.

I hope that helps!
Ryan