Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a 4l60 to handle 550rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building a 4l60 to handle 550rwhp

Transmission went out in my car about 2 weeks ago, lost second first, then drove it another 4 weeks and lost everything but first and reverse. I plan on having a local trans shop rebuild it, guy has 40years experience, has messed with performance applications and several of his transmission have made it over 300,000 miles in some of our farm trucks.

My question is, he's never really messed with performance 4l60's, he said he'll do whatever I want to it he just needs a list of parts as he doesn't keep this kinda stuff on hand.

Besides upgrading to the beast sunshell, zpack clutches, billet servo's, and 5 pinion planatary, what are some other upgrades I can have him do for a 400hp n/a motor with a 150shot of spray.

He does check and fix all clearances as he goes and knows a lot of tricks, though which ones I'm not sure.

I'm open to any and all advice, I looked at a few sponsors and also made a few calls but I'm trying to have the car back by new years and this guy can make it happen for me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id order one from performabuilt personally. Its like having a guy who builds vtec honda motors build your ls1, does it involve the same parts yes, but does it involve the exact same techniques no.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Contact ProBuilt Automatics, they have complete kits for any power level.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that horsepower goal in mind I would honestly recommend sticking with the shops and vendors that specialize in building high performance 4L60e transmissions. Many general transmissions shops have trouble keeping these transmissions alive for more than a few thousand miles at a time in stock daily driven cars. The key to keeping them alive isn't so much the parts you choose. It's how you put them all together. Our transmission builder has been building performance 4L60e transmissions for years on end. He has had literally thousands of them across his bench. This experience comes into play when you consider added price you pay for a 4L60e from a specialized builder.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Launching!

40 years experience? how old is this cat? and you gotta realize trannies were ALOT different back then.you are opening your self up to headaches and an empty wallett.trust me.i went through two builders before i found the right guy.40 years experience!? really,dude?just spend the extra coin and get one from a sponser.you will thank me for this advice later.i promise you.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't rush things, your car isn't a farm truck. Get a proper built trans from a sponsor.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

Yea I'm ordering one from Andy at FLT tomorrow, he gave me a great delivery date so it's not worth dealing with a local shop.

Thanks for keeping me on track guys.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeroyws6
40 years experience? how old is this cat? and you gotta realize trannies were ALOT different back then.you are opening your self up to headaches and an empty wallett.trust me.i went through two builders before i found the right guy.40 years experience!? really,dude?just spend the extra coin and get one from a sponser.you will thank me for this advice later.i promise you.
For what it's worth, the 700r4, the predecessor to the 4l60e has been around for 30 years. I tend to listen to people with at least 20 years exp.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

That was my train of thought, guy knows his stuff, he's in his late 60's and has owned and raced numerous 10.5 cars over the years, trusting him to do the work def wasn't a problem.

FLT has a sale right now so I took advantage
Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Launching!

im glad you decided on a sponser.FLT should treat you right.not to say that your builder doesnt know what hes doing,but when it comes to trannies,you want to get it right the first time.do it once
Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Postman
Yea I'm ordering one from Andy at FLT tomorrow, he gave me a great delivery date so it's not worth dealing with a local shop.

Thanks for keeping me on track guys.
You wont be dissappointed! i switched from a performabuilt, to a Level 3 FLT/SS3600 and couldnt be any happier!

Just make sure you got a good cooler, and flush the lines really well! You dont want the junk from the old trans put into the new one!

Quick Reply: Building a 4l60 to handle 550rwhp