Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear a little wishy washy after a hard turn with G2 suspension>>?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear a little wishy washy after a hard turn with G2 suspension>>?

It is definately weird, car rides the road a whole lot better, and turns a lot flatter which is what I like. But when I am taking a turn off from a highway at high speed, or push the pedal into the turn, my rear kinda slumps, then gets a little wishy washy. Even when I take off straight after the turn, my rear doesn't feel very centered, or even firmly connected for that matter. It sounds weird I know, but it really feels weird to.

I did the poly/rod panhard rod, and lca's from lg. Even have the lg subframes and v-braces on.

So what could the problem be, or am I missing a piece of the puzzle which needs to be completed??
Old 03-14-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What springs?
What shocks?
Which sway bars?

By "wishy-washy" or "not centered" do you mean the tail tries to step out as in over steer?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
What springs?
What shocks?
Which sway bars?

By "wishy-washy" or "not centered" do you mean the tail tries to step out as in over steer?

Everything on the suspension is stock, less what I mentioned about the lca's and panhard rod. Everything was measured out correctly to the stock components and locked down hard.

Hmmm, its hard to describe the feeling really, all I can really describe it as is the feeling of the rearend being squat, but a bit wobbly or uneasy. I guess it could be a feeling of oversteer, but not from what I've experienced before in the car stock. It definately does not come close to breaking loose. Maybe I could also describe it as the rear staying glued to the ground, but the body of the car wants to sway or lean, giving the uneasy feeling.

Actually, come to think of it. If I am at a light and foolin around, launch it hard, the rear squats, and the same feeling in the rear happens again, it seems to want to sway left or right, not nice and level, or streamline.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The squat you get off the line is because you lowered the car without putting LCA relocation brakets on to correct the LCA angle. The wiggle you get in the rear end when cornering is because you need to tune the suspension from front to back. A set of Koni adjustable shocks are what you need to do that, but make sure you have some good subframe connectors first, like the ones SLP sells, or you will twist the chassis.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey silversmoke my car does the same thing. my car is totally stock. never lowered or nothing. all my mods are for more power. anyway the feeling in the rear is like it wobbles back and forth for a sec. just a little then it quits. it dosent matter if im going straight or not. it does it most when i hit little uneven spots in the road. i thought it was air pressure because i have one tire that leaks down a little, but that wasnt it. i think the rear end is on its way out. ( stupid rearend) they are junk. well hope that helps.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cal
The squat you get off the line is because you lowered the car without putting LCA relocation brakets on to correct the LCA angle. The wiggle you get in the rear end when cornering is because you need to tune the suspension from front to back. A set of Koni adjustable shocks are what you need to do that, but make sure you have some good subframe connectors first, like the ones SLP sells, or you will twist the chassis.

Car is stock height, nothing changed other than the lca's and panhard rod poly/rods switcheroo. It just feels like the rear is held on to the chassis by a rubber band.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

My 99 Z28 used to do that.. Go into a hard turn and out, it felt like the body in the rear would flop over and back. My guess was my stock shocks were dead in the back. Got my shocks replaced with Bilstiens from Sam, (plus a front sway bar) and it went away.

Supposdily the stock shocks wear out relatively quickly.... But since it happens over time, you don't notice it untill it starts getting bad.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ynneK
My 99 Z28 used to do that.. Go into a hard turn and out, it felt like the body in the rear would flop over and back. My guess was my stock shocks were dead in the back. Got my shocks replaced with Bilstiens from Sam, (plus a front sway bar) and it went away.

Supposdily the stock shocks wear out relatively quickly.... But since it happens over time, you don't notice it untill it starts getting bad.

Hmmm, well, it is still an 02 WS6, so still fairly brand new, and the car is barely even driven. I can't see them being worn out, and it only happened after the G2 component install...

Anybody else have any thoughts??
Old 03-16-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of us have been down this road before.
Your shocks suck, even when new. The stock spring rate is made for ride, not sport.

Adding performance parts to that junk has made what was already there more noticeable.

What you've done is get the cart before the horse. It's like building a 12:1 bottom end with all the best parts, putting stock heads and exhaust on it and then asking why it doesn't make any power.

Just like an engine, it's the package, not the components.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Many of us have been down this road before.
Your shocks suck, even when new. The stock spring rate is made for ride, not sport.

Adding performance parts to that junk has made what was already there more noticeable.

What you've done is get the cart before the horse. It's like building a 12:1 bottom end with all the best parts, putting stock heads and exhaust on it and then asking why it doesn't make any power.

Just like an engine, it's the package, not the components.

So I guess in short terms, get new shocks. Maybe I will make a seperate post on this. I do want some sport, about 1" lower maybe, but still a comfy ride for the crappy pitted NJ roads.

Quick Reply: Rear a little wishy washy after a hard turn with G2 suspension>>?