General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Powerflush on a 4L60E damaging or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerflush on a 4L60E damaging or no?

Hi,
I was just got off the phone with AAMCO and they were saying that I shouldn't go to a place that does the power flushing of the transmissions with those machines because it could damage the 4L60E since it is electronic. Is this true? Has anyone had any experience with shops that use the power flushing machine? The reason I'm asking is because it is significantly cheaper to do the power flushing route vs the manual one. Let me know. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

opinions vary but I wouldnt do a trans flush ever on anything , I have read and heard of so many trannys giving up the ghost soon afterward. you are basically loosening up any crud/sediment and sending it through all the intricate channels/valves in your trans all it takes is for a chunk to get caught in the wrong location....

personally I start with a pan drop and filter on anything new to me then when I do my next couple oil changes I will suck out all the trans fluid I can out of the dipstick tube and replace with fresh dex 6 fluid using one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Tempo-Oil-Boy-...ews/B0000BYP0L
Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had it done once out of desperation and it was OK.
But I'd rather change the tranny juice 4 times instead.
And you'd be money ahead doing that.

Get yourself a pan with a drain plug, that helps a lot.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a mechanic at a Chrysler dealership and we do trans flushes all the time and never have an issue. I've been doing trans flushes for about 15 years and the machines I have expieriance with do not put any pressure on the valve body. The BG machine uses the cooler lines and replaces the amount of fluid taken out of the trans with new fluid. The Auto Solutions machine I am currently using has all the cooler line adapters but we all seem to use the dip stick tuba attachments. After a all the flushes I have ever done the pan needs to be dropped and the filter replaced. Trans flushes won't hurt you trans unless it's already hurt, then only rebiulding will fix that. Hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I've heard of some people having issues when they flush a trans that's never been flushed and still has original fluid after a ton of miles (100k+). I probably would never flush a high mileage trans that still retained original fluid, but if you do it regularly (say every 50k or so) I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably less about knocking loose debris (this wouldn't happen unless there was pressure beyond what the pump normally produces anyway) and more about the chemical shock of 100% brand new fluid on wear items within the trans.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
I am a mechanic at a Chrysler dealership and we do trans flushes all the time and never have an issue. I've been doing trans flushes for about 15 years and the machines I have expieriance with do not put any pressure on the valve body. The BG machine uses the cooler lines and replaces the amount of fluid taken out of the trans with new fluid. The Auto Solutions machine I am currently using has all the cooler line adapters but we all seem to use the dip stick tuba attachments. After a all the flushes I have ever done the pan needs to be dropped and the filter replaced. Trans flushes won't hurt you trans unless it's already hurt, then only rebiulding will fix that. Hope this helps.

I agree and use Dex III. Our cars came with it and I don't think switching to the newer stuff is any benefit. Especially if that is all your car has ever seen. When I bought mine at 49K in 07 I did a flush and went with Dex IV and immediately I noticed the shifts didn't feel as crisp. When the stall went in Yank specified Dex III IIRC and when I had the tranny beefed up the builder said Dex III is all he will ever use in a 60E.

What I do now is a conventional change with filter replacement and then pull off the cooler return line. Start the car and you can see when the new fluid starts coming out. 30 seconds maybe. Reattach cooler line and top off....

IMO THE MAIN THING IS CHANGE THE FLUID REGULARLY EVERY 30k-50k DEPENDING ON DRIVING HABITS AND CONDITIONS....
Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only time I have ever seen an issue is when the trans is done anyway and peeps flush to try to save it.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dex 3 hasnt been a gm standard for a few years , anything referencing dex 3 on the label will now say something like "meets dex 3 specifications" they cant call it dex 3 as GM no longer endorses that standard.

GM says dex 6 is backwards compatible on all its auto trans back to the powerglide - it is an improved fluid spec needed for some of the current trans offerings. I dont have time to find a link this am but have seen links on other forums about the backwards compatibility
Old 12-15-2011, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
dex 3 hasnt been a gm standard for a few years , anything referencing dex 3 on the label will now say something like "meets dex 3 specifications" they cant call it dex 3 as GM no longer endorses that standard.

GM says dex 6 is backwards compatible on all its auto trans back to the powerglide - it is an improved fluid spec needed for some of the current trans offerings. I dont have time to find a link this am but have seen links on other forums about the backwards compatibility
Here is the link you are looking for:

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000384801.cfm

Personally, I'm still using the "meets DexIII spec" Valvoline stuff, part #VV353. It's all that my 4L60Es and TH350 have ever seen, so I just stick with it.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile Amsoil addresses this...

Here are a couple of independant articles that Amsoil decided to publish. I won't flush the tranny fluid because of a few reasons:

1. The manual doesn't call for it
2. The filter still needs to be changed / magnet cleaned
3. Don't know what type / brand / quality fluid is

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atl.aspx
Old 01-14-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here at the dealership we flush the system then drop the pan and change the filter.

Quick Reply: Powerflush on a 4L60E damaging or no?