Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freshening up junkyard LS1...

Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freshening up junkyard LS1...

I picked up a project car 98 SS with no engine or transmission. I bought an LS1 out of a wrecked 98 that had 90,000 miles on it and was completely stock down to the airbox. I thought that was a good indication that this engine may have lived an easier life than most but while I had the engine on the stand this is what I want to do.

I had PatG spec me a cam through EPS that is 222/228 on a 116
AI ported 806 castings with PSI springs and 60cc chambers/219cc runners
New stock lifters with LS2 trays.
LS2 timing chain
ported LS6 oil pump
MLS head gaskets with arp bolts/studs (depending on what is available at the time)
Katech rod bolts
stock rockers with comp trunion upgrade
stock LS1 intake manifold and stock maybe ported stock throttle body
stock exhaust manifolds and cats
new pushrods of course and new gaskets throughout

It is a california car which is why the emissions equipment must remain stock but is there anything I am forgetting or anything else I should do while I am in there? Thanks for the help/suggestions

Last edited by JB_97ws6TA; 12-13-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would do some 243 heads and an LS6 intake. Those are cheap upgrades that will pick you up some decent power.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i agree with the above using an ls6 wont violate any emissions laws and will provide a decent gain over an ls1 intake. The 806 heads are also probably the worst stock ls1 heads made. Not that they're bad but theyre are def better ones. I would look into some 243 or 799 heads (same head just different numbers) you can get them for around 400 bucks if you want to have them ported afterwards you will gain even more. I'd say stock 243's though would be almost as good as the ported 806's and with a decent port job they will kill the 806's
Old 12-14-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

AI told me that the ported 243s are only good for another 10 - 15 horsepower over ported 806 with free flowing exhaust. Ported 806 will make more power than stock 243 and will not necessitate purchasing new valve covers and coil brackets. LS6 intake does not have EGR provisions so it is not smog legal, the SLP ones do but they are hard to come by. Is there anything else I may have overlooked? If I could find a sweet deal on 243 with valve covers for 300 or so it would be worth it but 500 for maybe 10 hp is a bit much
Old 12-14-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

LS6 intake does not have EGR provisions so it is not smog legal
Really? So C5Zs, 2002 f-bodies and early CTSVs are illegal in the state of california?

Never heard of an OEM piece that comes in brand new cars not being smog legal. How do they get cars that come with LS6 intakes form the factory to pass smog?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

For a car to be smog legal it must retain all smog equipment that it was originally equipped with. Those care that came factory with ls6 intakes are fine but you can not take a car that originally had egr and remove it
Old 12-14-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you just throw on some 243/799 heads an ls6 intake and some headers/exhaust you will have a very string motor....then when you throw that cam into the equation you will have a badass ride....the cam benefits from the larger lungs (heads) and airway (intake) tremendously...do yourself a favor!

I have a 98 camaro z28 and once i swap on the ls6 top end it revved all the way up to 6600rpm and liked it! of course a 224/230 cam helps! The newer centerbolt valve covers really clean thing up too...
Old 12-14-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, I'd remove the studs from the stock manifolds, and drill out the threads in them and replace them with GRD 8 bolts/nuts/and lock washers. This way if you ever need to remove the Y-pipe, or replace the gaskets between the manifolds and the Y-pipe you won't have to worry about drilling a broken stud out of the manifolds. Further more replace the restrictive double walled tubing between the passenger side cat and the manifold with a single walled Stainless Steel piece; that's your biggest restriction coming out of the manifolds, followed by Y-pipe merger which is still worth replacing with a better flowing one.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not completely against 243 heads for my build but I don't know that the money spent on the cores as well as the valve covers will be money well spent. I am not sure that I would gain any by having heads that flow a little better when the restriction is still the exhaust. I will try and find an LS6 intake with EGR once the time comes to install the intake but right now I am concerned with heads.

According to Advanced Inductions published flow rates for as cast 243/799...Ported 806/241...and Ported 243/799 the differences between the LS1 and the LS6/LS2 heads really aren't that vast after porting. I only compared numbers up until 0.600 lift because that is all I will be utilizing.

Using the as cast 243 heads as a base line the average flow numbers from 0.100 to 0.600 on a ported 806/241 are 5.3% higher and exhaust is 5.6% higher.

Using the ported 806/241 heads as a base line the ported 243/799 flow on average up to 0.600 lift 3.8% intake and 1.1% exhaust better than ported 806/241.

For the price of heads and valve covers I am not sure that it is worth it not to mention that these flow numbers are on bench and not necessarily real world numbers when you restrictive factory exhaust manifolds and stock cats.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, I'd remove the studs from the stock manifolds, and drill out the threads in them and replace them with GRD 8 bolts/nuts/and lock washers. This way if you ever need to remove the Y-pipe, or replace the gaskets between the manifolds and the Y-pipe you won't have to worry about drilling a broken stud out of the manifolds. Further more replace the restrictive double walled tubing between the passenger side cat and the manifold with a single walled Stainless Steel piece; that's your biggest restriction coming out of the manifolds, followed by Y-pipe merger which is still worth replacing with a better flowing one.
Good advice, i will do that! I am sure it will be a pain to get a wrench on the heads of a bolt on that flange but that will be much easier than drilling out a stud so overall it is likely worth while.

Can you elaborate on the double walled tubing, is that on the cat side or is it part of the manifold? I currently do not have cats so they will probably be replaced with carb legal magnaflows or regular magnaflow stock replacements. I have yet to see a smog tech check for an EO number on a cat but there is a first time for everything. Is the double walled tubing only part of the factory set up or will I also need to worry about that with magnaflow cats? Is the SLP y-pipe worth the money or is the merger the same? I know it gets rid of the crush portion of pipe but I am not too certain about the merge or would it be better to just put a flowmaster merge on a factory y pipe? I have read about ground clearance issues with the SLP. Thanks for the info...
Old 12-14-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it was me, LS6 valley cover and some poly motor mounts while I was in there. I assume you already have springs cope with your new cam.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
Really? So C5Zs, 2002 f-bodies and early CTSVs are illegal in the state of california?

Never heard of an OEM piece that comes in brand new cars not being smog legal. How do they get cars that come with LS6 intakes form the factory to pass smog?
All the cars you mentioned did not come with a EGR system. His car did so it has to be there to pass. And California is far far stricter than any other state when it comes to emissions. They check very thoroughly to make sure everything is there.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if you tell them you blew the original 98 and bought one from an 01-02 ls1 from the junkyard? Would that work? Or still be illegal?

Oops just saw it was from '11. Sorry. Lol mobile site doesn't show dates.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Freshening up junkyard LS1...