Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to tune for bolt-on's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to tune for bolt-on's?

I've got a stock 02 z28. I'm going to be buying a winter shopping list of goodies, and I plan to top it off with a dyno tune with Fran and Race Proven Motorsports since they're local and recommended.

I've got the following planned for this winter's shopping list:

- SSRA Ram Air
- Lid
- Ported Stock TB
- 25% UD Pulley
- Kook's 1 7/8" LTs
- True Dual x-pipe exhaust

I will be getting a dyno tune to squeeze as much power out of the bolt-on's as possible, but my main question is when do I absolutely need the tune to keep my motor running safe.

The car isn't my DD, so it won't be seeing more than a few hundred miles while I install all of this stuff. It also won't see any track time or really aggressive driving until after the tune. But, I'm planning on spreading the installs out to keep myself busy this winter (and because I can't afford to buy all of this at once). I'm going to schedule the dyno tune once I finish the installs.

Can I run all these bolt-on's safely on the stock tune for 100-200 miles? I ask because my DD is a 2008 F-150, and they're notorious for running dangerously lean with just a CAI.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of it save for the exhaust should require minor tuning. After the exhaust, I would get it tuned.

The underdrive is the only component that requires zero tuning to get the gains out of it. The rest like your tb, lid, and ram air, will work better with tuning, but are not 100% required or the car will have problems.