Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

98-02 projector headlights

Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98-02 projector headlights

I have this exact HID conversion kit from Speed Inc. installed in my 99 HO SS. There's no problem with the product itself, but with my factory headlights it scatters 55w HID light everywhere. Even with the headlights aimed as well as they'll get. Some people don't have a problem with dropping HIDs into factory headlights, but to me it usually looks like ***- and can be dangerous. There's no defined cutoff. I knew this going into buying this kit but I really don't drive my car all that often and then very rarely when the auto lights turn on. But I still want to do something about this.

Anywho, I was wondering if anyone had any luck with a specific aftermarket projector headlight that would be able to utilize the HID kit I have. There are a grip of lights on ebay from which to choose but frankly, I think they're all pretty gaudy and/or cheap. Most of them don't even show a good pic of them mounted in a 4th gen Camaro. I do want black housings. Halos or LEDs are unimportant to me.

I had a 4th gen Prelude, and they were known to have notoriously awful-performing factory headlights. There was a market for fellow owners retrofitting E46 or S2000 (among other) projectors into the factory housings. Is something like this the only way to go to get real HID projector headlights on my Camaro?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you already checked this:
LS1TECH>CHASSIS,SUSPENSION,APPEARANCE>Stereo&Elect ronics>HID Questions
I think you'll find an answer after looking through this very informative thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98-02 projector headlights