Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help understanding tuning software

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help understanding tuning software

I am swapping an LQ4 into my 1970 Chevelle so I need to have some stuff deleted off of the ecu. The engine is going to be basically stock for now so I do not need any performance tuning at the moment. I have been looking at EFILive software but I am not exactly sure how I use it.

Can I download the software (it seems to be free on the website, is this correct?) and then use an interface like autotap to connect it to my computer? After doing research, this it what looks to be the cheapest solution but I do not know if it is possible.

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use EFILive with autotap but you will need a license for EFILive to use it. You will have to get in touch with tech support at EFILive and send your autotap serial number in so they can set you up with a license key that will work. Again though, you need to pay for a license.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Without purchasing the FlashScan cable/hardware interface you will not be able to edit the PCM.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

How much would a liscense like that cost? Is it only good for one car then?
Old 12-17-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dlabooda
How much would a liscense like that cost? Is it only good for one car then?
EFILive is $899 for the Flashscan V2. No you can tune a couple and then you have to buy additional credits for each car you tune. I think the credits are $99.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:41 PM
2TR
On The Tree

In my opinion given your needs Hp Tuners is more user friendly and far more affordable than the recent price rocket of EFI Live.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Are there any cheaper alternatives that would allow me to remove stuff like emissions and security without getting into performance tuning? LT1swap.com can remove all of that for $75 but I would like to be able to do it myself if I can find an affordable solution.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$500 is about as cheap as it gets. Used is pretty expensive also I've seen ebay auctions that made no sence at all. So the good news is the resale is high and it is easy to sell.
HPT and EFI both come with scanners with bi-directional controls.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlabooda
Are there any cheaper alternatives that would allow me to remove stuff like emissions and security without getting into performance tuning? LT1swap.com can remove all of that for $75 but I would like to be able to do it myself if I can find an affordable solution.
If all you want to do is emissions and security, about the best alternative would be to send the PCM to Frost (search for him on here) and he can mail order tune it for you... He is one of the best at it and his price is very reasonable for what you get.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Just go to any tuner close to where you live and most would do the small changes you need for $100. What you are needing takes about 15 to 30 minutes and is nothing for a tuner to do; you are not asking for any dyno time, any skillful tuning, etc. All the tuner will expect is that you use his services for real tuning when you install hardware to achieve some performance gains. If it were mine, I would go ahead and have the stock motor tuned for best performance by a local tuner because it will perform much better after it is tuned for performance whether than emissions. There is a limit to what can be accomplished by mail order tunes, whereas tuning on dyno and street combined can be dialed to achieve an optimal tune. I would not waste my money on a mail order tune which just gets you in the ball park of a good tune.