Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New C5 Vette Owner--Thinking out loud

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New C5 Vette Owner--Thinking out loud

Hi everyone, my 1st post. Just installed a set of Billy Boat Bullet exhaust. Sounds like a corvette should sound. Its a 2000 with 25k miles in mint condition. I'd like get more out of it like everyone else does. (never satisified) I've been drag racing BBChevys for years and there is no substitute for displacement. With these things it seems like anyone who wants more out of an LS engine either adds S/C or Turbos. They kind of scare me. Doesn't that kill the life of the engine? I have no experience with an LS engine, so if I sound stupid I apologize. I was thinking about swapping a LSX 454 into the vette instead of S/C the LS1. Is that even possible? I know a forced induction system will cost nearly as much as an LSX. Then you'd be making normally aspirated torque and power. I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and B&B Bullet sounds great i had it on my 98 Vette but i like my cars quiet now !!! Heads & Cam w/ bolt-on's r your best bet and will get you 500 HP and sometimes more !!! A LSX 454 will bolt right in also !!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you have an idea of brand name of heads and cam. I assume to get 150 more HP they'll have to be ported. What about the Intake? Is the ls1 intake adequate to get to 500hp. That has to be much cheaper than S/C or Engine swap. Can you install the cam in a corvette without removing the engine?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Texas Speed over to the right has great deals and u Should have a LS-6 Intake on your car but a Fast 90/90 would work great also and no u dont have to pull the motor on a Corvette and on a LS motor u dont even have the pull the intake to do a cam Change only !!! There is plenty of info on here for whatever u need and to b honest these motors put BBC to Shame and i have had BBC cars also !!!!!I had a 02 Camaro SS A4 W/ headers, no cats,Pulley, 3600 Stall w/ some suspension that ran 11.80@114 and still fully loaded w/ nothing remove except for the front swaybar !!!!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by johni717
Thanks for the info. Do you have an idea of brand name of heads and cam. I assume to get 150 more HP they'll have to be ported. What about the Intake? Is the ls1 intake adequate to get to 500hp. That has to be much cheaper than S/C or Engine swap. Can you install the cam in a corvette without removing the engine?
To get another 150hp shouldn't be too hard. A cam and a quality tune from a tuner (not a handheld) will get you the majority of that power. I'm not familiar with the exhaust you mentioned but if it's just a cat back exhaust I recommend longtube's and maybe some catless midpipes. You may be able to get to 500hp using the ls1 intake but at the very least I would have it ported. Swapping to a Fast 92 intake manifold and throttle body would work much better and make getting to that power easier but you're looking at $1k+ for those on the low end. Porting your heads or swapping to some ls6 heads and then porting those would be a good upgrade as well. And you may look at getting some sort of aftermarket air intake. I did a quick google search of the corvette engine bay and it looks like the stock one is ok as it has no serious bends in the intake tube, but an aftermarket one may flow better. And if you do switch to a Fast intake manifold and tb I'm not sure whether the stock air intake will work with that or not. As far as swapping a cam with the engine in the car or not I can't say. I have a GTO so I'm no Corvette expert, I just know how people have been making good power with the ls motors.

Last edited by thehazz12; 12-18-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:16 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johni717
Hi everyone, my 1st post. Just installed a set of Billy Boat Bullet exhaust. Sounds like a corvette should sound. Its a 2000 with 25k miles in mint condition. I'd like get more out of it like everyone else does. (never satisified) I've been drag racing BBChevys for years and there is no substitute for displacement. With these things it seems like anyone who wants more out of an LS engine either adds S/C or Turbos. They kind of scare me. Doesn't that kill the life of the engine? I have no experience with an LS engine, so if I sound stupid I apologize. I was thinking about swapping a LSX 454 into the vette instead of S/C the LS1. Is that even possible? I know a forced induction system will cost nearly as much as an LSX. Then you'd be making normally aspirated torque and power. I'm just thinking out loud.
This is not at all a problem u made very valid points...
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 AM

I don't want to have to make other major changes to the car, Trans,Rear,etc. That is why I think based on what I've been told that the c5 corvette will safely handle around 500hp. 500hp on the street is plenty fast for me. I don't plan on mounting slicks and racing it. That will break drivetrain parts.The mods everyone just told me about will be a much cheaper approach than what I was originally thinking. I really appreciate everyones input. Keep em coming. Thanks again, this forum is great.