Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stroker vs LSX upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stroker vs LSX upgrade?

so i have looked and i guess i'm looking in the wrong area.

i'm curious what all i would have to do to my car if i were wanting to put a stroker kit in it. 383. is it as easy as just putting the stroker in and getting it retuned??

OR would it be easier to upgrade from a LS1 to LS2 or LS3 Block?

i'm going to have to assume it'd be much cheaper to put a stroker kit in, but then again... i've never done this before.

~Bion
Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

A 383 stroker done right with good heads and intake will be close or more in cost but an a stock or mildly upgraded LSX will make more power drive smoother and be much lighter and can be had at a reasonable price from the endless LS vehicles either upgraded or salvaged.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been looking at stroker kits. By the time you get your old block out, passed around to machine shops, get your rotating assembly, etc, you'll end up spending almost as much as you would on a complete short block. Not to mention your car will be out of commission for a long time.

A 402 LS2 shortblock is the route I intend to take. It seems to be the most bang for the buck. Heads, headers, accessories, etc pretty much all transfer over from your LS1 if you choose to reuse them. You just need about $300 in conversion parts, available in a kit from TSP. It includes lifter trays, some cables, and few other misc things that differ from the LS1.

LS3 I believe would require different heads and a number of other things.