Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mail order tune with heads/cam install

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mail order tune with heads/cam install

I am in need of a new setup and am going to get some heads and a cam from texas speed. Will one of their mail order tunes be sufficient for my car or am I still going to have to get it tuned at a tuner?

I am on a budget so this stuff just keeps adding up if the mail order isnt sufficient.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:26 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely! Their mail order tunes are created around their specific cams. They are also designed by multiple dyno reference files for many different parts modifications. Seen a friend here use one for an MS3. Later he became untrusting and paid a local pro shop for a dyno tune. When comparing the (2) tunes I noticed very few changes, most where not even performance related (idle/part throttle adjustments). The shop owner even admitted the mail order tune was VERY close to perfect!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There's no way in hell I'd trust a mail order tune for a h/c car...way to many variables to get right. Unless you have a scanner/wb to log stuff and get revisions from the tuner it's a crapshoot.

How do you know that you're running the right afr and timing without scanning? Are you going to trust your car/engine on someone guessing at stuff? Even if it's cam they know, every engine is different and reacts differently to changes. So just because the tuner sets some parameters at xyz that worked before does not mean it will be right for your engine.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't have software, a mail order tune for a head and cam car should only be considered a base file to get you up and running and to someone who can dial it in for you.

That being said, the quality of the tune is dependant on the ability of the tuner. Not whether it's mail order or live in person.

FWIW, I do alot of mail order tuning for more complicated setups. H/C cars, big solid roller motors, blowers, turbos, nitrous. But, I won't do a mail order for any of these if the end user doesn't have software.

This a pretty good example of what can be done via mail order. This is one I've been working on with the owner via mail order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YveK...1&feature=plcp
Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies. So should I just hold off on a tune and drive it to the tuner. I would probably have to drive it will stock injector in correct? I have a tune on it from the cam in my sig, ran great.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Teching In

I would personally use it as a baseline to get to a quality tuner. Yes, the extra cost can suck but when it's what dials everything else in, it's one of the things you DONT want to skip out on.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchi
I would personally use it as a baseline to get to a quality tuner. Yes, the extra cost can suck but when it's what dials everything else in, it's one of the things you DONT want to skip out on.
I agree. After spending thousands on parts, the tune is the last thing you should be cheaping out on.

Quick Reply: mail order tune with heads/cam install