Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

99 sts turbo build-2 ideas?!?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 sts turbo build-2 ideas?!?

havent been on in a while but its the best place to get great advice so here it goes i have a 99 trans am ls1 here are my mods and winter ideas
current mods
texas speed torquer v.2 cam
ls6 intake
4l60e tranny with stage 2 rebuild and 2800 yank stall
stock manifolds-catless exhaust-heat wrap from manifolds to turbo
sts rear mount kit 67mmgt turbo w intercooler
sts methanol kit
stock rearend
car made highest dyno number was 505rwhp at 13lbs of boost
last time i dynoed it only made 444 rwhp on mustang dyno at 12lbs but it was like 110 degrees outside idk if tht effects it or not
looking to make more horsepower and use more boost safely so im thinking
forged internals with dish pistons (to lower compression bcz stock compression is 11:1)
looking for a stronger rearend and im looking to go 3.73 on gears but im not sure about what to do for a rearend so any ideas?
and also looking to suspension all the way around in still sitting on stock suspension so ideas there as well and last im hoping to go with a 50 shot of nitrous
but i want some input and ideas on brand names to go with ect....
hoping you can help me
Old 12-19-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

uumm...what engine do you have? the stock compression is 10.25 : 1 roughly.

temperature makes a difference.

do you have a MAF? I would guess no as you are likely maxing the MAF out with that 67mm, but if so what was your airflow reading? that 67mm should be good for ~68LB/min or so of air..you should have made more power than that....wait your an auto..that is where some power loss is coming from...your 505 at 13lbs is likely 550+ actually. is this all on the stock block? how is the tune in general?

Are you using a boost controller of any sort or just wastegate spring? have you verified your actual boost?

I have gone with wiseco pistons, callies compstar rods, keeping factory crank,

rearend wise....the difference between a 9 inch and 12 bolt, the 12 bolt will give you more turbo room out back and Strange and Moser can get you going on that. But be careful...damn machinists can't be trusted... I ended up getting an axle with a screwed up bolt pattern...it must have moved while they were machining it and they didn't check it. Went through hell to get it replaced.

with a turbo car I would stick with a 3.42 rearend gear or even 3.23. I noticed a huge spool time decrease going from 3.73 to 3.42 and also when I installed an electronic boost controller the boost came in slightly sooner and held its value throughout the rpm range.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Stock ls1 Block right now possibly getting it bored 30 over and honed for new pistons and I have a map sensor it's a grand prix map sensor if I'm not mistaken I forgot...umm as far as a boost controller yes I do have one from sts and yea
My car is Dyno tuned so boost is verified and rearend I'm not so worried about yet...started taking **** off to pull the Motor yesterday I'm excited about it but I'm worried about how hard it will be able to do the forged internal and pistons and I believe I'm gunna do 317 heads...should I get the ported and polished or no? I have heard good about both and whats ur thoughts about a 50 shot as well? Anyways crossing my fingers with the motor I'm gunna see if I can have my engine building teacher at UNOH to do the honing and possible boring it over so well see hopefully get some tips but any advice from y'all would help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 sts turbo build-2 ideas?!?