Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help Installing ATI Inlet Hat (videos)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help Installing ATI Inlet Hat (videos)

So I upgraded to the larger filter and truck intake from Brutespeed. Does anyone know of a very good way to attatch the inlet to the blower with maybe some insurance. I may custom fab in the future but not now. Here is why I am asking....

I just now removed the metal ring out of it so that the inlet would fit over the impeller lip. I put the clamp on and tightened it down good making sure to do it right and get it tight. I fired the car up for the first time tonight and let it idle, and after a few minutes the intake hat started shaking and just fell the hell off onto the floor. I was like....what is this ****. Seems to me that the hard plastic doesn't have a tight fitment that will clamp onto the blower. Anyone else wanna chime in and help a brotha' out?

Towards the end of the video you see it slowly slide off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB6DT3B8jLk
Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it fit under splash guard? Put a couple of 1.5 cuts on end to let it clamp together.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

no I had to cut it a tiny amount. not much. i went out today and bought a different style clamp called a T-Bolt clamp. That thing should allow me to get the torque needed to compress the composite plastic down onto the procharger impeller lip with little or no problems. I am still thinking of adding a hole or two and running some big *** wire ties for support purposes that way the weight is supported and in the even that it does come off it wont fly up under the car and hit people behind me. I have to say procharger did there homework up until the inlet hat.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Weird I've never heard of this interested to hear the results
Old 12-19-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TermnEatr
Weird I've never heard of this interested to hear the results
well it isnt as widely discussed because not everyone opts for the larger truck intake. i am not sure if the stock intake hats have this issue. maybe someone whos used both will chime in. I am already looking into making one of my own.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

what size t- bolt clamp did you get? I have the truck inlet hat going onto my car and dont want to have this problem also!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen to me, and mine fell off on the freeway. I went back to get it, I felt like the video game Frogger. I used a regular hose clamp, then I switched to a t-bolt clamp and tighten the hell out of it and it fix it. If you already tried that how about get some kind of adhesive tape or sealent alike to secure a thin ring around the outside of the blower snout and the really tighten it over that w a t-bolt clamp. just be sure not leave any leaking out so that it gets sucked up by the procharger. I did cut some slits on my splash guard, and now if it would fall the intake would be hanging bc the air filter is bigger in diameter that the intake.

hope I explained right. let me know
Old 12-19-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

yeah...that makes sense and i was indeed thinking of puting in a thick line of clear silicone and pressing it on it and holding it there. not only would that help support it, but it would make an air tight seal as well. As far as the size of the T-Bolt clamp itself. It is roughly the same size as the other clamps. You have to put it on just right so that you can get the screwdriver on it without the long *** screw bumping into things as it goes inwards. I just had one laying around. I went to the store and bought some, but they were nowhere near the quality of this old thing. The garage I am borrowing is a WW2 veterans and he has some neat **** laying around....heavy duty type stuff. It seems to be on there ok. I have not snugged it down all the way, but its def better than it was before. I think once i put a few ties around it and add the silicone in a way that I am sure it wouldnt ever get in the impeller then I will be more confident when entering boost on the highway and track. And to boot.......if the silicone ever needs to come off itll be clean and easy to re do. and cheap.

Last edited by I8UR4RD; 12-19-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

I have been pondering finding a thick ply rubber coupler, but dont see that working well either. Also, heat shrinking it.

And get this, I am in no way shape or form going to do it, but i am curious about whether or not anyone has ever drilled a few holes in the impreller lip and added a few screws and washers. on top of the clamp. I know it wouldnt come off then. not even with a good tug. It sounds like a costly live and learn type of mistake and I am not the adventurous type. I prefer tried, tested, and true.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used a silicone reducer from the inlet of the blower to the inlet pipe. You gotta think outside the box sometimes. I had mine together in like 4 min. Google silicone intakes and measure the OD of the blower inlet and measure the OD of the intake pipe. You'll be able to find something.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The T Bolt clamps that Napa sells does a good job of keeping the truck inlet hat on the blower. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Help Installing ATI Inlet Hat (videos)