Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

procharger cog drive on street car??!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default procharger cog drive on street car??!!

well ive been looking into which procharger to go with and i have been looking at a few options and one of them is a f1a with a cog drive the car is a 71 camaro forged 383 ls1 6 speed car that will be driven roughly 5k miles a year will see the track maybe 2-3 times a year and might one day see a road course power level for now is i would like to see 800 wheel but i also dont want to be limited if i would ever want to step it up some day....i have herd issues with belt slip on the f1a and 8 rib setup

im going to be running the lsx transplant setup any info would be greatly appreciated i would like to hear from people with some experience with it thanks cory
Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your gonna need to make sure you run an overrun/clutch style pulley on the blower with the 6 speed so you dont destroy belts
Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

i don't know much about the street manners of a cogged procharger, but i can say i have heard a lot of people say that they a little too harsh for a street car...especially a manual trans car. i think the violent up and down shifting on a road course would be even harder on the belt.
again, i am just going off what i have heard. i would stick with the serp pulley kit. i think procharger offers a 12rib serp kit with their transplant kit. that should be plenty for 800 ponies.

i would call bob@brutespeed. he used to sell 4th gen cog drives at epp. he is very knowledgeable about prochargers.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go
i don't know much about the street manners of a cogged procharger, but i can say i have heard a lot of people say that they a little too harsh for a street car...especially a manual trans car. i think the violent up and down shifting on a road course would be even harder on the belt.
again, i am just going off what i have heard. i would stick with the serp pulley kit. i think procharger offers a 12rib serp kit with their transplant kit. that should be plenty for 800 ponies.

i would call bob@brutespeed. he used to sell 4th gen cog drives at epp. he is very knowledgeable about prochargers.

free-wheel pulley should take care of the problems.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a 8 rib setup with the "Aster" bracket and I've put down over 820rwhp with 0 issues...no shredded or thrown belts with zero to minimal belt slip. I love it....easy and takes minimal maintainence. You could always work with Chris and try and set it up for a 10rib setup.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 AM
TECH Regular

yea, cogged ATI sprag pulley is not cheap...

http://www.atiracing.com/superpulley/index.htm
Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go

Thanks, I appreciate it. The Nova in the picture here was seeing belt slippage with the 12 rib serpentine LSX Transplant kit, and converted it over to a cog drive.

We don't see belt slippage with the 8 rib Aster bracket on the 4th gen f body's, and possibly an added idler pulley to get the 12 rib Transplant kit added belt wrap would do the trick. I think I would try going this route on a car that is possibly destined for road course duty before going with a cog drive. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: procharger cog drive on street car??!!