Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Lokar Dipstick Doesn't Work!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Lokar Dipstick Doesn't Work!

The last thing I expected to go wrong did. I took out the dipstick from the dipstick tube. Installed the bottom into my 4L80E and the top bracket onto my firewall. The tube is straight as can be, but I think the bend right at the problem is the problem(it's not even that crazy of a bend).

The dipstick will go in majority of the way but it leaves a couple inches of the dipstick from going in.

Have any of you guys dealt with anything like this before? My research on the subject showed that the old design flexible dipsticks by lokar used a plastic dipstick. Mine uses a braided metal wire style dipstick.

Last edited by SIKHS 5; 12-21-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My suggestion would be to compare the depth of stick extending out of both the stock combination and the Lokar. Use the locating flange on the tube as a reference point. My guess is that the Lokar is a bunch longer. Trim to fit. Remember you are looking for a "FULL" level on the stick. Many aftermarket engine dipsticks are set up the same way.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

Can you take a picture of the bend you are talking about? I had a Lokar dipstick in a 4L80E that worked like a champ, but I don't really remember how tight any of the bends were.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem. Lokar products are garbage. I just left it part way in and haven't had a problem with it.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM
9 Second Club

Do you have the street or race version? When I talked to Rossler Transmission about a build he recommended a race lokar, said it had a quick connect coupled at the trans kinda like an air compressor fitting, they were about $120 I think. My friend has one on his glide on his TA and loves it.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 PM
9 Second Club

no problems with my locking lokar dipstick. also recommended to me by Carl @ rossler.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SIKHS 5
The last thing I expected to go wrong did. I took out the dipstick from the dipstick tube. Installed the bottom into my 4L80E and the top bracket onto my firewall. The tube is straight as can be, but I think the bend right at the problem is the problem(it's not even that crazy of a bend).

The dipstick will go in majority of the way but it leaves a couple inches of the dipstick from going in.

Have any of you guys dealt with anything like this before? My research on the subject showed that the old design flexible dipsticks by lokar used a plastic dipstick. Mine uses a braided metal wire style dipstick.

I have to twist my lokar dipstick as I push it in and jiggle a bit to get in all the way down.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by conv55
I have to twist my lokar dipstick as I push it in and jiggle a bit to get in all the way down.
What he said.

BTW, it's a POS. The tube is so small it takes forever to fill then even longer to get a reading worth a damn.

I would never recommend or purchase another of their shitty dipsticks.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs down That's pure..

Originally Posted by rp0029
Had the same problem. Lokar products are garbage. I just left it part way in and haven't had a problem with it.
Bull$hit..........
Old 12-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Launching!

I've tried pushing it. Twisting it while putting it in. Basically everything I could think of.

I'll get you guys some pictures of it tonight. I'm going to see if I can fit something else down the tube, and see I some how get that to give me a reading(was hoping to start me engine today, can't do that without transmission fluid :/ )
Old 12-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Launching!

My dipstick only goes in a out 25 inches. The dipsticks total length from the bottom up to the second o-ring is about 29 inches. Should this be cut down??? I put hard plastic tubing of various diameters and they all only went in about 25 inches. Even when I changed the angles of the tube by unbolting it from its firewall bracket.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure there is no obstruction inside the Trans pan that might have shift over and is blocking the dipstick from being fully inserted ? maybe the Filter ? try taking the pan off to see what is holding it from being inserted fully !?

I have only trial fitted my Lokar into my 4L60e. At first I could not get it seated, found that the Transmissin case was stopping the lower part from going in straight up and in. I ground down the case about 1/16" and it then went it. But it is kinda loose.. !?!..
The Instruction say to use Sillicone to make it seal.. Why even have the 0-Ring when they are not sealing the lower part of the tube !?!?..

I might try some larger O-Rings !!?? Any of you guys have this issue ?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Launching!

okay i was thinking about dropping my pan and seeings if there was anything abnormal going on(which i really really really dont want to do haha)...

but now that im doing the math...

24" Tube Length
MINUS
29" Useable Dipstick Length
EQUALS
dipstick end would have to stick into the trans pan 5 inches(or more) to fit???

is it just me or does it seem like my dipstick is too long??

Old 12-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
My suggestion would be to compare the depth of stick extending out of both the stock combination and the Lokar. Use the locating flange on the tube as a reference point. My guess is that the Lokar is a bunch longer. Trim to fit. Remember you are looking for a "FULL" level on the stick. Many aftermarket engine dipsticks are set up the same way.
I really think you are correct the more i go over everything, i never had the stock 4L80E dipstick/dipsticktube - does anyone have any measurements that i could use?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by streetknight2
Do you have the street or race version? When I talked to Rossler Transmission about a build he recommended a race lokar, said it had a quick connect coupled at the trans kinda like an air compressor fitting, they were about $120 I think. My friend has one on his glide on his TA and loves it.
mine was in the $80 range, im sure its just the street version(no quick-connect fittings).

Lokar calls it the "Hi-Tech Flexible Braided Stainless Transmission Dipstick" (Part Number: TD-34L80FM)
Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have on one in my 71 w/4l80e and it seems to work fine.... just went out and pulled cover and checked the cable lenght it's 28 3/8"to the end of the **** just above the orings.... Looks like mines just alittle shorter than yours in the pix.
Rick
Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bet yours is hitting something inside the tranny like stated above....
Rick
Old 12-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flywheel
I have on one in my 71 w/4l80e and it seems to work fine.... just went out and pulled cover and checked the cable lenght it's 28 3/8"to the end of the **** just above the orings.... Looks like mines just alittle shorter than yours in the pix.
Rick
do you know the length of your tube?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Hey there,
I just checked my old dipstick. It is the previous flexible plastic kind from Lokar. The dipstick itself is in the 28-29 inch range. The tube is about 26 inches.

As I mentioned before, this is a leftover from my previous setup. Why don't you PM me with an offer I can't refuse for it? It is just collecting dust in my garage...

Troy
Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the plastic dip stick kind.

Inside the trans case there is some kind of shield or something right where the dipstick is IIRC. I do not remember what it's for or anything but last time the trans was apart I seem to remember realizing that's what I was twisting around to get the dipstick in.

Pull your pan and look if there is no fluid in it.

Quick Reply: My Lokar Dipstick Doesn't Work!