Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What STR?

Old 03-15-2004, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What STR?

I'll probably be getting a converter soon (wife wants some jewelery ) Anyway, I'm thinking 2.5 STR will be too much. I'm going TCI Super street fighter 3500. Anyone have any STR experience? I'm afraid I'll roast my tires, which are not drag radials, since I only drive on the street.
EDIT I have 3.23's
Old 03-15-2004, 01:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its hard to find a happy medium with str's...ive got the 3500 and love it...its a very streetable converter even with my 2.73's but yes you can easily roast the tires at will even from a 20mph roll...but i just went to the track and picked up .65 in the 1/4 and 5mph at the 1/8th...i was bouncing off the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift so my mph was only up by a little over 1 at the top end...but definitly a pretty good converter at the track...honestly though anything above stock can put the tires up in smoke pretty easy unless your at a roll so i say go big and dont look back...if i could do it again id go with the tci 3800 w/ 2.7 str but thats me...sounds very streetable and probably awsome at the track.

lata
Bill
Old 03-16-2004, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

the 2.5 is a great performance enhancer but you will definitely have the ability to lay rubber at 20+ mph....i actually broke loose on the parkway on-ramp the other day at 40ish but it was real cold here. get drag radials! they dont hurt street manners really (as long as u dont drive in heavy snow) and with a good burnout they will help you take full advantage of your new converter. I've got 10K miles on my Nittos and they've still got a good amount of life in em. A stall anywhere higher than stock isnt really a performance improver without a sticky tire.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

well I just spent $$$ on the new F1 GSD3's. I'm afraid to run drag radials in the rain (I almost wrecked my last RWD car in the rain) and I probably won't go to the track. I want to wake up the car, get rid of the dead spot between 30 and 40.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

The TCI SSF 3500 on my configuration ls1, is just about too much for track use (meaning more converter/motor than tire) for the local track here. I would recommend ET streets for track, nitto 555DR's (for safety) on street.

If you can't deal with that, go with a lesser stall/str.

DR's are safe in the rain as long as you DRIVE SAFELY, and replace them at 50% treadlife (5K miles ~). thankfully i'm city driver so speed and mileage isn't a biggie.

I would be awefully afraid of driving street tires with the tci ssf 3500. It would be downright dangerous if your converter unlocked at 35-40mph and flashed because you needed to do a foot down evasive maneuver.

I'd recommend ASR/TCS too. The first few times you romp on it you will be in for a serious eye opener.

you can see in my dyno below the difference between the stock torque and tci ssf3500 (+mods). i have no doubt the line is probably exaggerated, but it did annihilate the nitto's on every attempt i made at the track.

I will now put on my line lock and get ET's and see whats up at the track.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any converter you put in is probable gonna hurt traction , but the SSF converter is a great performer for the money and will be a nice addition to your car. A set of nitto drag radials are cheap and work well in the rain , I run them all year round , Except in snow.

I just upgraded from a sf tci 2800 to a TCI 3800 and i have no problems driving it everyday, it all depends on your right foot, you learn how to drive it after a few days and wont even remember that you have a stall.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well it sounds to me like your looking for a nice 3000 stall with maybe a 1.8 STR. I'm not sure who to recommend for that. I know midwest has a 3400 stall with a 2.0 STR. That might be a decent one to try. Your gonna have some traction woes with any higher stall TC but you can keep it to a minimum with a lower Stall and STR. If you get a 3000 stall with a 2.0 or less STR you'll probably be happy on the street. But if you ever decide down the line to go to the track your gonna be wishing you had a 3500+ stall with a 2.5 STR and Drag Radials.

Good Luck
Old 03-16-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into the SY series from Yank.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94form2000z
Look into the SY series from Yank.
Yeah, I wanted the SY3500 for a long time, but it was just too expensive. Now with the TCI converters out there for under $500, I think that's a great deal. I'm gonna go with 3500 2.25. Brian (texas speed) suggested that to me and based on what you all said 2.5 seems a little much for me, I do want to stick to 3500 though.

thanks for all your replies, I'll let you know how it works out.

Search this Thread