Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech2 questions 05 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Tech2 questions 05 GTO

I own a 2005 GTO that was originally a manual tranny car. We converted it to automatic including a complete engine / tranny harness and adding the tcm42.

I have a friend that has an associate that is willing to loan us his tech2 for an evening. I have been told that we must use a tech2 to change over the ecm, pim, and bcm to an automatic.

does anyone have specific details on what and where and how to do this? Screen shots would be very helpful.

I only have one shot at borrowing this tech2 and I need to get it right the first time.

thanks
Old 12-21-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you need to program the PIM, you need a valid TIS2WEB subscription, or a computer running TIS2000 to do the PIM security relearn in pass through mode. It took me a while to figure this out, as I tried to do the relearn on my car without the laptop, with just the tech2 and was unable to figure it out. Once I tried pass through the security relearn was possible.

You should be able to select automatic instead of manual with the correct vin, but to program the ECM, you also need the TIS subscription.

You also can adjust the IPC setting (Instrument Cluster) to choose automatic, this will get the gear display to show up on the cluster. This can be done with just the tech2 itself.

I do not believe the BCM is different automatic vs manual, but the BCM is linked to the PIM and the ECM as part of the security. Did you actually change the BCM itself, how about the PIM?

If I was doing that swap, and did not change BCM or PIM, I would simply reflash the ECM and TCM and see if it will fire up, then I would setup the IPC as a automatic.

Ryan
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow
if you need to program the PIM, you need a valid TIS2WEB subscription, or a computer running TIS2000 to do the PIM security relearn in pass through mode. It took me a while to figure this out, as I tried to do the relearn on my car without the laptop, with just the tech2 and was unable to figure it out. Once I tried pass through the security relearn was possible.

You should be able to select automatic instead of manual with the correct vin, but to program the ECM, you also need the TIS subscription.

You also can adjust the IPC setting (Instrument Cluster) to choose automatic, this will get the gear display to show up on the cluster. This can be done with just the tech2 itself.

I do not believe the BCM is different automatic vs manual, but the BCM is linked to the PIM and the ECM as part of the security. Did you actually change the BCM itself, how about the PIM?

If I was doing that swap, and did not change BCM or PIM, I would simply reflash the ECM and TCM and see if it will fire up, then I would setup the IPC as a automatic.

Ryan
wow... Great info. We didn't replace the bcm or pim. The guy that is bringing over the tech2 has the complete system with laptop and all. Question, it is believed that we need the original security codes that would have been on the card in the glove box, but I never had it.

can I reflash the ecm using hpt?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

you will need the codes to do the security relearn, even without changing the other modules.

HPT should allow flashing the ECM as a automatic, just make sure the OS part number matches the file that is in the ECM, or you risk bricking the ecm if the other OS is not compatible. You will likely need to use 2 credits if you get a file from the repository. Or you can ask them to do a segment swap for every segment (if they will do that) You can also disable security with hpt, but you will get a dash warning if you do this. There are a couple of patches that need to be installed and a full image flash to do this.

Is your T42 already setup for a GTO, or is it blank?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you will need the codes to do the security relearn, even without changing the other modules.

HPT should allow flashing the ECM as a automatic, just make sure the OS part number matches the file that is in the ECM, or you risk bricking the ecm if the other OS is not compatible. You will likely need to use 2 credits if you get a file from the repository. Or you can ask them to do a segment swap for every segment (if they will do that) You can also disable security with hpt, but you will get a dash warning if you do this. There are a couple of patches that need to be installed and a full image flash to do this.

Is your T42 already setup for a GTO, or is it blank?
I have access to an original tune file from an 06 automatic. Can I use it? I bought my tcm from pcm4less and they have already programmed it.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

use the 2005 tune, the 2006 may or may not work in your ECM depending on the service number (I do not know what one is good or not, but I have killed a E40 by flashing my 2006 stock file into it)

There should be a 2005 stock tune somewhere in the repository, if not when programming the ECM with TIS the GTO prompts you for the transmission (most vehicles do not, as the TIS system is smart enough to know the right file for the vehicle) You can use this to your advantage as long as a file can be found for your vehicle with that trans option. (it may crash if there is no file found)
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I posted up on hpt forum, and a guy has a stock 05 tune file. He told me to post my current tune file and her will convert mine over (?) I just posted my file.

God I'm lost. Thank you Al Gore.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

When you flash it, just flash it all as one car. ECM TCM ect.. All same Vin as well, Then it should just all work. With the guys laptop, he will still have to have internet access for it to download the files it needs..

Then you will have to do a Security relearn, Then just go one by one in the module list and go to special then if it says relearn anywhere on the controller or setup, then just go thru the process. IT shouldnt take long.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wait4me
When you flash it, just flash it all as one car. ECM TCM ect.. All same Vin as well, Then it should just all work. With the guys laptop, he will still have to have internet access for it to download the files it needs..

Then you will have to do a Security relearn, Then just go one by one in the module list and go to special then if it says relearn anywhere on the controller or setup, then just go thru the process. IT shouldnt take long.
great info, thanks.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 camaro when you role the ignition over it will start sometimes & other times it dont want to. But if you pull the pcm/battery & the pcm ignition fuses for 30 seconds you can get it to start. Has anybody shared this expeiriance with me. or give me some ideal what it could be.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CHEVY1MAN72
I have a 98 camaro when you role the ignition over it will start sometimes & other times it dont want to. But if you pull the pcm/battery & the pcm ignition fuses for 30 seconds you can get it to start. Has anybody shared this expeiriance with me. or give me some ideal what it could be.
Could be your VATS
Old 12-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting, I assumed you needed a VCI number through techline to change software in that manner.
can anyone else confirm this?

Ryan
Old 12-30-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb A suggestion..

Originally Posted by CHEVY1MAN72
Start a thread on your own problem. This will get more attention, instead of hijacking the op's thread...

Quick Reply: Tech2 questions 05 GTO