Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

looking for twins!! help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking for twins!! help!

looking to go with a twin turbo set up for a stock bottom 5.3. Not looking for 1,200 hp.for a street car. ok here are some details that you will need to help me out my plan is to get a big family cruiser a 63 belair into the 11,s I am thinking 700rwhp.I am also going to drag race it,auto cross it,and road race it,oh and pull a camper trailer with it and drive it across the country..a lot of you guys are thinking that I am kidding. NO I AM NOT.! oh and I forgot I would like to get 20mpg. on pump gas.the car currently has ported 241 heads a ls6 intake and a 2002 z06 cam..and a powerdyne supercharger.currently running 6# of boost and a 4l60e tranny. Witch I know is the week link now and I want to switch this to a 4l80e.

MY questions are does anyone know of a pair of asymmetrical turbos? I am guessing that 58mm should be more than enough.I know i can do this easily with a single but there is just something about a well fabbed twin set up that just makes you go wow.
what size waste gates should I look for?

would you still run a blow off valve?
the exhaust system is a restriction for I can not run bigger than a 2.5 for it runs through the frame and that is is big is it can be.

please don't post if you just want to bash these ideas for I know that it is possible just need help with some details.
here is the car that it would be going in.

I also have a build thread on this if you want to check it out.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

still looking for some advice. please give me some suggestions of what direction to go.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call me I got you covered
Old 12-27-2011, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about twin Borg Warner s256-s360s. Something in that range should be good. Although if you are wanting to tow stuff, maybe size the turbine a bit large so you are not spooling to 20 psi every time you go up a hill, lol.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here ya go......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsbqXKLXN0

copy that....and put a good tire on it.

Turboing it is the cheap part....a good 4l80 sets you back a few bucks. Your car isnt that heavy.....
Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Very Nice! I've always had a place in my heart for "Six Trey's", after owning an SS 283 back in the day

Anyway, checkout Nelson Racing Engines for pics of a few asymmetrical set-ups.

I'd also consider bumping up to twin 62's to give you a little more efficiency, especially if you're loading up the "fam" and towing a camper.

Your exhaust is a bit of a bottleneck but you can play around with smaller turbine trims and larger AR housings to help.

You should run a blowoff valve, and if you're not a big fan of advertising that you're boosted, you can run it recirculated.

These are only MY suggestions and not gospel, as I'm sure there are others who have their own.

Good Luck
Ciao
Old 12-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ModularTurbo
Call me I got you covered
A couple of Magnums from this guy will get you there on a budget.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is my set up. I am hoping to run 850rwhp on the stock bottom end. I am running a twin set up. Everything was set up by me with the help of different friends. This is not a kit. I am hoping for 15mpg but that's only because I am running E85. On 91 I dont think 20 is out of the question. I am running twin Pt62/62's. Should be firing it up very soon and dyno tuning in the next month or so.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sarg
What about twin Borg Warner s256-s360s. Something in that range should be good. Although if you are wanting to tow stuff, maybe size the turbine a bit large so you are not spooling to 20 psi every time you go up a hill, lol.
thanks do you know if they make this in a mirror image as well?
Originally Posted by 1320
Here ya go......

copy that....and put a good tire on it.

Turboing it is the cheap part....a good 4l80 sets you back a few bucks. Your car isnt that heavy.....
thanks for the input not sure how this is going to help me but ok.

Originally Posted by bmech211
Very Nice! I've always had a place in my heart for "Six Trey's", after owning an SS 283 back in the day thanks for the interest and follow the build thread to see more cool stuff coming up.

Anyway, checkout Nelson Racing Engines for pics of a few asymmetrical set-ups.
checked with them the other day and the smallest they have is 76 mm.I really think it is cool that you can make 1400 hp. but I know i can not afford to go that fast. thanks for the tip
I'd also consider bumping up to twin 62's to give you a little more efficiency, especially if you're loading up the "fam" and towing a camper. kind of new to the turbo thing but not the fab.so I am learning as i go sounds like that would work great. now if only I can find asymmetrical 62's

Your exhaust is a bit of a bottleneck but you can play around with smaller turbine trims and larger AR housings to help.

You should run a blowoff valve, and if you're not a big fan of advertising that you're boosted, you can run it recirculated.

These are only MY suggestions and not gospel, as I'm sure there are others who have their own.

Good Luck
Ciao
Thanks for the input I am trying to keep up on the learning curve so I appreciate the input.

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
A couple of Magnums from this guy will get you there on a budget.
already had some great conversation with him.thanks.

[QUOTE=Wicked69;15775511]Here is my set up. I am hoping to run 850rwhp on the stock bottom end. I am running a twin set up. Everything was set up by me with the help of different friends. This is not a kit. I am hoping for 15mpg but that's only because I am running E85. On 91 I dont think 20 is out of the question. I am running twin Pt62/62's. Should be firing it up very soon and dyno tuning in the next month or so. do you have more detailed picts of your set up a build thread perhaps? I would like to know more about this set up.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure what you mean by mirror image....
Old 12-29-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Regular

Mirror image are asymmetrical there are left and rights.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

E.rodz,
I think you're going to be really hard pressed at finding off-the-shelf asymmetrical (mirror imaged) turbo's. I believe the ones that Nelsons carry are custom built, as they require redesigned compressor and turbine wheels that rotate in reverse of normal turbo operation.

They do, however, make on-center turbine housings that would benefit in designing headers without the need for off-setting the merge collectors/transistions. Be forewarned they aren't really the best, performance wise, and cause more back pressure than tangential style housings.

You guys have so much space in those "old schools" that I'm sure you could sit down for days drawing up dozens of set-ups with different turbo orientations. Heck, Wicked69 is running non-intercooled on his 62's, which cleans up the cold side runs nicely, so half that battle is won.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I figured that is what you meant. I don't think BW offers mirror image turbos.

Quick Reply: looking for twins!! help!