Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

School me on HID fog lights for 98+ Camaro vs. 55w halogen driving lights....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question School me on HID fog lights for 98+ Camaro vs. 55w halogen driving lights....

I have some pilot 55w driving lights which are bright but,

I am curious as to how the 35w HID in stock projector fog light housings would compare to a 55w driving light (not stock housing). I wonder how a 35w HID bulb in a housing that was not designed for it would fare against a higher watt (55w) halogen bulb in a housing that was designed for it? Maybe someone has done a comparison already. I am curious as to distance of visibility (How far ahead the beam is able to penetrate). I am not looking at doing this for looks but for maximum visability at night when I need it. I dont want HID in the headlights (don't want to risk blinding someone or attract attention from police) right now so please restrict comments to the fog lights thanks.

Also, anyone tried a 55w HID kit in the fog lights? Will it melt the stock housings?
Old 12-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Fog lights and Driving lights serve different purposes. If I remember correctly, a driving light is like a high beam and should only be used in the same situation. In other words, don't have them on when there is oncoming traffic.

Fog lights won't help with distance vision. They may actually be a hindrance with too much light directly in front of the vehicle causing you to focus too closely in front of the vehicle and making the distance appear darker (because your pupils shrink).

Also, the stock fog projectors are very small. 55watt HID in them will probably damage the chrome in their projector bowls ruining output.

For better distance vision on long dark roads, get better high beams. If necessary, augment them with driving lights.

Take a look at replacing the stock 9005 high beam bulb with a HIR bulb. Its still Halogen, but has a coating and shape that improves output. Watch out for fakes on ebay though. On real ones the coating is almost iridescent and only covers part of the bulb. Fakes are completely coated in blue tint.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-27-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: School me on HID fog lights for 98+ Camaro vs. 55w halogen driving lights....