Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gbody fuel tank and sytem for ls1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gbody fuel tank and sytem for ls1 swap

I am starting to collect the parts needed for my LS1 swap. I have a few questions on which fuel tank and system parts to order. My Grand Prix originally came with the carbed Chevy 305. From what i gather the fuel lines are on the passenger side so what tank should i order? from a GN or a FI Monte? I would like to keep the routing of the fuel lines a simple as possible. I have done some research and i think i can use the charcoal canister vent line as a return line right? I plan on using the Vette regulator setup like most of the set-ups done. Also which replacement tank is better ie Dorman, Spectra i read about the splash back issue on the replacement ones, i have tried to find a OE used one but haven't had any luck. Sorryfor so many ??'s

Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default G Body tank and FI system

I am doing a conversion on a 1986 Monte Carlo SS. I am using a GN tank. The Corvette regulator/filter will bolt on the body in place of the hard line between the tank and fuel lines then I am going to run a combination of reproduction hard line and AN6 line to the engine. That is probably the hard way, lots of people run AN stainless hose or similar from back to front. I already have a reproduction stainless steel hard line so I am using it as of now unless I change my mind. I ordered a stainless line replacement from one of the reproduction line companies to replace a 4.3 fuel injected Monte Carlo. I am sure a 4.3 tbi tank would work as well. You will just have to replace the fuel pump as it won't have enough pressure. I am also running a Racetronix fuel pump power relay system to control the pump as well. If you get a pigtail from a mid 90's Impala you can splice that in to plug into the pigtail coming of the sending unit in the tank. There are a couple of companies that are not sponsors hare that sell parts specifically for G bodies. If you look in the G Body swap thread there are some more ways to do it besides what I chose. PM me if you have any specific questions, I will be glad to help if I can.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 AM
Launching!

thanks MonteHawk! PM sent.. So are there any brand preferences for the replacement tanks along with the fuel pumps? Done some research and it's a bit confusing..
Old 12-28-2011, 05:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The charcoal canister line has a restriction right where it goes through the sender, back into the tank. If you try to use it for your return line without removing the restriction first, you will have WAY too much fuel pressure. Your return line won't have a large enough opening. You will see what I am talking about when you start to assemble your setup, just make sure you remove the restriction.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a similar situation, putting a 5.3 in my 84 Monte. I decided to run a 2001 Blazer 2-door Fuel Pump Module in a stock tank that I'll modify for mounting it. I'll get pictures of the process when I get everything here to do the job, but to me it seems to be a better way to go than a GN tank.

The problem I have with the GN tanks is this, that none of the aftermarket ones I've seen had proper baffling in them. The dog dish in most, will keep fuel away from the pickup as much as it keeps it submerged. Original GN tanks are a different story, they have a large plastic internal baffle, not just the 'dog dish'. If somebody can show me an aftermarket tank with proper baffling, I'll be convinced, but until then I think the Blazer module is the only way to fly...

-matt
Old 12-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Default GN tank

I have 3 GN tank here in NY but you are too far away. all come with hanger and walbro pump
Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamdenali
I have 3 GN tank here in NY but you are too far away. all come with hanger and walbro pump
Time for a . . . ROADTRIP

-matt

Quick Reply: Gbody fuel tank and sytem for ls1 swap