Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

bomb patrol afghanistan

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bomb patrol afghanistan

Prior service marine here and I wanted to discuss this show with other members of the military. What do you guys think of this show? Anyone catch the finale episode last night? If so, what do you think about rickys award he received for his actions? Personally, I like the show a lot but I know that there is some mixed emotions about it. Especially with all the army guys they were filming it with. Some of these guys were catching a lot of flack on Facebook and whatnot. Either way, discuss....
Old 12-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Launching!

I never heard of it. What station does it come on? Is it real, or is it some fake crap going on? As long as it ain't like that hospital show that was on for like two episodes I may give it a shot.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Launching!

I hate the fact that they blow it up.... and most of it is playing with a robot... but then again that's "reality" TV anymore....didn't catch much of the show... nor the finale.. I do give EOD the props they deserve, but this show just makes them look like some grade A dirt bags.... now some of the shows like the documentary's on the marine camps in Afghanistan... now that's real....
Old 12-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

I like that they try and show how it is in some of the FOBs in the outer areas, it would suck if they were in Bagram or Kabul rolling out. They at least roll out from some of the harsher places, not the worst but not the best either. In this reality TV world they are at least trying to put the war in the publics faces. Some people out there are hardly aware that we are still fighting out there, the press has made such a spectacle over Iraq and the fact that we are "pulling out" that it seems like we are out of OEF also. OIF has been blown up so much and used as a political platform to the point that people are hardly aware of the lives being put on the line and lost in OEF. I like that there is a show like this to remind them that we are still there and fighting the fight that was brought to our country in the first place. I also like the fact that these dudes don't bother to try and shave as much and keep their lip crawlers in tact, or tuck their tan T-Shirts into their PT shorts, it's realistic regardless of whatever REMF is throwing a fit over it.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

I'm with eroc all the way. I want them to put some marines on the shows. No offense to anyone else, but these guys are so far out of it, just makes them look like all high school friends. The whole informal bit of it all just turns me off to it I guess you would say. I know its different over in the **** than in garrison but **** cmon.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:25 AM
Staging Lane

I haven't been able to watch it yet...and it's killing me. Having the Navy represent EOD most likely will not give an accurate portrayal of the career field. For one, the Navy is the most inexperienced EOD community of all 4 services due the amount of the total EOD mission they support. The Navy and the Marines cover approx 10-12% of the entire EOD mission, with the Marines edging out the Navy for a bigger share. It's not to say they can't do the job, though. They just have a completely different way of structuring teams, and they just don't push nearly the amount of people through the battlespace as the Army or AF.

I can't wait to get home and see what this show is all about, and whether or not it's realistic. Plus, I get to poke fun at Navy EOD . I hear they are all about wearing the bomb suit and using the robot. I have worn the suit once my entire career (deployed career, that is). And where I'm at, the terrain renders the robot ineffective at least 50% of the time, even if we can move to an IED mounted. And especially if we go out on patrol or a dismounted mission, that heavy hunk of **** stays in the truck.

Originally Posted by 1badWS6
I'm with eroc all the way. I want them to put some marines on the shows. No offense to anyone else, but these guys are so far out of it, just makes them look like all high school friends. The whole informal bit of it all just turns me off to it I guess you would say. I know its different over in the **** than in garrison but **** cmon.
What you're picking up on is exactly what it takes to have a good functioning EOD team. The informality you mentioned is part of what it takes to do the job. Within the team, you could have a guy that has had 6 or 7 combat tours with a teammate that is on his first. If that new guy sees something the rest of the team doesn't he needs to be comfortable enough to speak up. On the same hand, a team leader has to be humble enough to listen to his team and realize when someone else might have a better idea. Teammates need to be able to do this and realize there isn't going to be an ***-chewing or paperwork later on for having a different opinion. Yeah, the team leader makes the call, but you would be stupid to ignore teammates. It has, and will continue to get team leaders fired, or worse. EOD guys are generally a tight knit group, and that's any service, from any country. The high school buddy atmosphere you talk about is what draws a lot of us, and keeps us in this job. It's hard to explain other than just calling it different. EOD is almost like a subculture within the military.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't wait to get home and see what this show is all about, and whether or not it's realistic. Plus, I get to poke fun at Navy EOD . I hear they are all about wearing the bomb suit and using the robot. I have worn the suit once my entire career (deployed career, that is). And where I'm at, the terrain renders the robot ineffective at least 50% of the time, even if we can move to an IED mounted. And especially if we go out on patrol or a dismounted mission, that heavy hunk of **** stays in the truck.
I have watched it twice.. Walking in and out of the garage during the episode so caught bits and pieces.

Once, he didn't have his suit on for I don't know the reason... And once I heard them saying the bot couldn't make it to the IED.

It is actually pretty realistic from what I know. I was watching it with my buddy that has been on several deployments (6-7 IIRC). There was a few things he kinda chuckled at but he enjoyed watching it.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

One of the things that pissed me off is that the gunner couldn't unjam his weapon in the finale when they got ambushed. I guess they made it seem to me like he was just sitting up in the truck. That's the first thing I learned, next to cleaning the damn thing.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

Helmand Province claimed 4 EOD techs this week. 1 Navy, 3 AF.

I have a week left on the ground, 2-3 in country.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Jake speaks the truth, I got back from Helmand over thanksgiving. Stay safe bro.

Quick Reply: bomb patrol afghanistan