Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

p/s temp gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p/s temp gauge?

has anyone ever put in a gauge to monitor power steering fluid temp? im putting in a cooler this weekend and while im in there i figured i could throw in just a regular temp gauge and monitor it for road course. good idea bad idea? where would you put it?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Teching In

I've known a few dedicated roadracers that have done that. I helped prep a car for the BigBend open roadrace one year and we put in a 2" electric temp gauge and he bought two senders. We put one in the drain hole of the T56 and the other in a bung we welded onto the bottom of the diff cover. We put the wires from the sender through a switch and he could switch back and forth to check the temps on one gauge. Since neither component has violent temp swings (unless something is really wrong and then you'd not be able to do anything about it anyway) his navigator swapped back and forth every few minutes and kept an eye on things. If the diff got too warm, we had plumbed in a diff cooler with pump and oil/air exchanger. Worked like a champ.

It would be very easy to put PS temp on a small electric gauge. You could easily test various fluids and the temps they get to. If you are wanting to take multiple readings (pre-cooler and post-cooler) you could easily use the switch method we did on the bigbend car.

Good luck. Post up what you do!

Costas
cars and such...
Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Teching In

thanks man! thats good info i think im going to wire something up just so i can monitor it and i never thought about the rear end. im builidng this car to strictly do racing and ive gone threw a few ten bolts cant wait for my tax return and good bye you pile of sheet!
Old 12-31-2011, 03:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trans temp and diff temp are probably more important, but it would be interesting to know what the p/s temp is. A cooler on the p/s is essential. An underedrive pulley on the crank is good also. You don't need to run the p/s pump at 7000 rpm to make it work.

Quick Reply: p/s temp gauge?