Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Maggie, Meth or N2O

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Maggie, Meth or N2O

I have researched the site and tried to absorb all I can on the subject. I need the help of experienced users of both methods to cool the IAT's. Now I was able to grasp that these two methods are polar opposites to each other in how they get the result of power. As I understand it, the Meth actually cools the air via alcohol absorption as well as gives an increase in octane which allows me to increase timing and get more aggressive on the tune … therefore that’s how the extra power is made. The N2O on the other hand is a power adder and will actually cause me to reduce the timing, as well as to be sure to add more fuel to match the expanded amount of air. It comes out of the bottle at -127* so a cooling of the charge is unavoidable.

MY Goal: To protect the power that I can potentially already make through cooler IATs.

I should explain myself. Today is one of the first days that we have had cool weather in South Florida since I installed my Maggie. A big 58* ( don’t laugh its Florida) The Maggie reacted to the cooler, more dense air. It is like a different vehicle. I would like to simply keep that ability even in the hotter months ( or as close as possible). Yes, more power from a 50 shot would be great. However, this is my daily driver. I regularly love to blip the 7 lbs boost for a quick rush, I’m at WOT at least 10 times a week …. But a quick blip in second for a rush happens regularly daily. I am figuring that N20 would get quite expensive and it may not be smart to reference it as low as 3,000 rpm or so where that blip is starting etc...
My tuner recommended a 20 or 50 shot ( for cooling purposes) as he is familiar with the set up and has confidence in the ability to cool the charge with N2O. My greedy *** quickly wants to go for 50 at least
( I can see that this can out of control quickly LOL) . With that said I am wondering if a good Meth system which will be used for cooling effect rather than a more aggressive tune can do the trick. In other words … leave the tune where it is and allow the meth to run through my MAF and let the system react to the cooler temps that will exist through the intake. It seems to me that the Meth could create conditions that are a lot like what I am driving in today …and that’s all I am looking for.
Will I have to compensate for the extra fuel that is Meth ? (which would leave me too lean if the Meth doesn’t fire)
I know N2O will be an issue if my fuel fails.
Which is safer … more reliable. Does a Meth kit exist that can do what I want ?

FYI: I have :Racetronics fuel pump w/ magnacharge &
60lb Seimen injectors.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll give you a free bump on this one. This is something I have pondered on quite a bit myself. Personally I lean more towards the meth than the NOS. The only reason I like the NOS better is because of the pretty blue bottle. lol But both would eventually run out and require a refill but yes, the meth would be much cheaper.

I remember reading something a few years back about the meth being hard on the intercooler on the maggies. However I have seen GMHTP install a meth kit on a G8 with a tvs2300 and picked up around 78 hp I believe. I also seem to remember a recent article on a dyno test with a camaro and it picked up close to 100 hp also if I remember right.

Hopefully one of the experts will chime in. Unfortunately there are very few when it comes to maggies. I assume yours is in the black vert listed in your sig? Post some pics if you get a chance.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the bump. I'll get some pics up here soon.

On paper it looks like it may cost a fortune to run nitrous for my purpose of cooling on a daily driver (I may be wrong). I'd like to hear which system is most safe and do I have to tune for a light spray of meth ? It seems that the meth itself is fuel and has to be accounted for.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
I'll give you a free bump on this one. This is something I have pondered on quite a bit myself. Personally I lean more towards the meth than the NOS. The only reason I like the NOS better is because of the pretty blue bottle. lol But both would eventually run out and require a refill but yes, the meth would be much cheaper.

I remember reading something a few years back about the meth being hard on the intercooler on the maggies. However I have seen GMHTP install a meth kit on a G8 with a tvs2300 and picked up around 78 hp I believe. I also seem to remember a recent article on a dyno test with a camaro and it picked up close to 100 hp also if I remember right.

Hopefully one of the experts will chime in. Unfortunately there are very few when it comes to maggies. I assume yours is in the black vert listed in your sig? Post some pics if you get a chance.
I've also seen that article too, seems meth is making good power. To the OP, lots of guys on the GTO forums are running meth with awesome results. It's definitely seems more attractive.

I've also heard the hard on the intercooler rumors but have also heard that the air and meth mixture passes through the intercooler so fast that it's mox nix. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of pumping water into my engine and supercharger though.

And yes, you need to be tuned for the meth which is cool because you can tune for it at a predetermined boost level.

IMHO meth is a no brainer over N20. Cheaper to fill and install initially, no solenoids to mechanically fail, no purge or none of the other gear to make a reliable nitrous setup . You also don't need a bottle warmer for meth. It's ready to go at anytime and a much simpler setup. Can be more stealth if you wish too and not illegal on the street as far as I know at this time.

Last edited by joblo1978; 12-30-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Banned

Good post here FWIW...
http://www.waterinjection.com/forums...a-magnacharger
Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

Another link...
http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

meth is alot cheaper to refill than a nitrous bottle. But most likely nitrous is gonna make more power off the hit depending on how big of a jet you put in there. For a daily driver, i'd just put an alkycontrol kit on it and call it a day, youll be very happy with the results.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

I've called Magnacharger and asked if nitrous is ok to run with a Maggie, they said the nitrous will start eating away at the coating on the rotors inside the blower. Not sure how much damage that would cause tho
Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black98s10
I've called Magnacharger and asked if nitrous is ok to run with a Maggie, they said the nitrous will start eating away at the coating on the rotors inside the blower. Not sure how much damage that would cause tho

Yeah, that was explained in one of the links I posted above. Meth will eat away at the coating as well making the rotors look polished. That coating is intended to create a seal between the lobes increasing efficiency. But doesn't that coating wear anyway?

You could plumb an intake manifold with direct port nitrous or methanol to have the jets spray aft of the supercharger, but that would be a nightmare.

Bottom line is lots of guys are doing with good results, but some may not be willing to risk it.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the input.
At this point Im leaning towards an Alkycontrol kit
Within the next few weeks I'm putting in a new clutch. We couldn't even get a proper dyno on it dumafter the Maggie because the LS7 clutch smoked loose at 5200 rpm (nice problem to have). After a twin disc goes in I will tackle the IAT issue.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck man. Dont forget to post updates on the meth kit. We will want to know how well it works and how you end up running everything.

And, I know you didn't ask, but I have went with a Monster Stage 3 clutch, lightweight flywheel and Tick master cylinder and couldn't be happier. I dont know which one you have in mind but that setup is definately a contender
Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Good luck man. Dont forget to post updates on the meth kit. We will want to know how well it works and how you end up running everything.

And, I know you didn't ask, but I have went with a Monster Stage 3 clutch, lightweight flywheel and Tick master cylinder and couldn't be happier. I dont know which one you have in mind but that setup is definately a contender
I love my monster stage iii. Haven't gotten to install a tick piece yet but that clutch and flywheel is boss.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not familiar with the maggie but it seems to me what you really need is a better intercooler or E-85? The rest is a bandaid that has many possible repercussions.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just thinking the same re: e85. I'm having a hard time finding fuel stations in West Palm Beach that carry it. As a DD I don't want to be caught short. From what I understand the e85 can solve multiple issues. What needs to be modified ( other than tune) to run e85 ?
re: the clutch, you guys where reading my mind but I didn't want to turn the thread in another direction. Although Monster is a great product with even better CS, u am going with a twin cisc because I want no chatter or on off switch feel. I'm tossed between the mcloud RXT or new Ram Force which is a lighter set up. I like the idea of Less weight for quicker response however a light flywheel may not work well with my DD. I have lowend rpm issues now and I like the extra momentum that I get with the standard weight flywheel. The Ram on the otherhand us lighter in the rest of the components with a standard flywheel. So I get the less rotating mass while keeping the stability. The only feedback I have is through a friend who just installed one and I am waiting on that report.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black98s10
I wouldnt worry about the coating as all the roots type blowers come with that and its going to flake off and stop up the intercooler some if you dont remove it before hand. I have owned a 01 lightning and an 03 cobra with both blowers having been stripped of the coating and showed no loss of boost. I used aircraft aluminum paint stripper to remove the coating when rebuilding and greasing the rear bearings. "Rotor stripping" is actually an option at Steigmier who is known in the SVT world as the priemier porter of those type blowers.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have put more nitrous systems on blower cars than I can count. Truth is the results nitrous provides is uncomparable. You would be surprised at how many people end up turning down the boost and upping the jet. The result is much more reliable and efficient power with much lower air temps .

As to the remarks about the nitrous being harmful to the blower. Out of all my years in this business I have heard that nonsense but never seen and proof to back it up. Put the right nitrous system on it and you will be glad you did.

Dave
Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 AM
10 Second Club

Either or, but the meth is cheaper, won't need to be refilled as much and will do what you want while still allowing an upgraded boost pulley for 9psi instead of 7psi That might make you happy all around.

Quick Reply: Maggie, Meth or N2O