Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lloyd Elliot finished my TFS heads.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Lloyd Elliot finished my TFS heads.

Got some nice numbers out of them, CFM wise. These are the first LT1 heads I've seen that would flow over 300cfm at any lift. Admittedly, these only go over 300 at some point after .600 lift but they are at 299 CFM AT
.600 lift.
My current turbo cam goes to .571/.566 lift with the 1.6 rockers but the flows have to be a ton better than these unported Canfields I'm currently using. Plus, the static compression will be better. The Canfields have something like 64cc chambers I think, and these TFS have been milled to provide about a 8.8: compression, which is what my pistons were purchased to yield with the stock ported LT1 castings I had.
I also have a ported intake so that should help too.
Here's the flows that Lloyd sent me..
Lift I/E
.200 146/109
.300 206/144
.400 249/179
.500 285/197
.600 299/212
.700 309/223

These TFS heads will go on sometime in late Winter/early Spring.
Can't wait!
Dave
Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those r some crazy flow numbers from the old LT1!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Just got the heads.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 PM
9 Second Club

very nice!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Thats the best LT1 Heads flow I have seen....
Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Same here! I'm hoping they'll do well with my 15psi blowing thru them. I'm really looking forward to the Spring and the track
Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Thats the best LT1 Heads flow I have seen....
Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Tiago ! How is your car doing ? Any changes since we last spoke?
Originally Posted by Tiago
very nice!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice... maybe you won't screw around anymore and get that thing back on the dyno and see what that turbo will max out at
Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy flow numbers! Those are a thing of beauty...
Old 03-24-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

After finishing the install of the TFS heads and the ported intake, I took the car for a test drive. After it warmed up, I tried to get into a little boost. The Wide band says I'm running lean. Previously, with the prior heads, any time I gave her gas, even moderate gas, the WB would show 13.x and 11.x into heavy boost.

I went back to the house, fired up the 'Torque app' on my droid to see the readings/SES codes and saw... the farking MAF sensor was unhooked. Doh! So I hooked it up and took her for another drive. Ahh.. MUCH better.

After going about 15 miles round trip, I pulled back into my driveway and got out of the car, leaving it running, as I cleared my ramps out of the way so I could park. After moving them, I turned back to the car and started walking. Then, I noticed something shiny under the car. The sunlight was reflecting off some liquid that was dripping from the back of the motor. Phock.. that's great.

So, I pull her up, kill the motor and start wiping my hands on the back of heads, assuming the banjo bolts were not sealing the steam tube. I found some coolant so I got out the ol' ratcheting 15mm combo wrench and gave them a try. Sure enough, both were not fully tightened. So, I felt good that I'd fix allllll the problems.

I then pull her back up on the ramps to get under the car and wipe off all the coolant drops. What the?? Oil? What is oil doing dripping down? So, back up to the top I go, feeling the back of the valve covers (Canton's) thinking they might not be tight...Hmmm... nope. Next, I start her up and get under the car to watch and see if I can see from where the oil is eminating. It takes about a minute, cause it's just idling, for a drip to show just above the oil filter mount. Puzzled, I reach up to the valve covers again, feeling around. Where the hell is it.... then an old old memory (from 1999) pops into my head. "The back of the intake manifold, where the silicone seal is..". Ah crap.... But I put a big bead of silicone on that!!!

Well phooey, there's nothing to do but pop off the intake and look. Fortunately, I had a second set of intake gaskets so it wasn't that big of a deal. What appears as a negative though turned out to be a good thing.... I disconnected all the connectors, tubes and fuel lines, etc, then pulled out the 8 bolts, then with a little prying on the corner of the intake, off she came. Odd.... the silicone looks to be fine. Nice and thick.... But then I look at the ports on the heads,.. why do they have oil in them? I look at the intake gaskets and see the bottom half of them look oil soaked and permeated with oil. This means that oil was seeping in from the intake valley and being drawn into the ports during vacuum and probably blown out of during boost. I decided to wipe down the heads and ports with brake cleaner soaked rags, then, after cleaning the old silicone sealer off, to put a light film of silicone sealer around the ports as well as the end rails on the intake. After reinstalling and torque things down and reconnecting everything, I took another test drive. Farking awesome! Runs like a champ and no leaking of anything!

Quick Reply: Lloyd Elliot finished my TFS heads.