Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

So I adopted a pet

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default So I adopted a pet

On Tuesday my fiancée asked if I wanted to go look at a dog at the Riverside Animal Shelter. I figured sure why not what harm could it be. Well we got there and they were going to be closing in 20 mins so we were only able to see the dog still in the kennel. All I knew is that it was a Female Labradore Great Dane mix, I knew it would be big but thats what we both wanted since we are tall people and love big dogs.

She was awesome, just wanted love and attention (I am a huge dog person so yeah I have a big heart for them). Well yesterday, Wednesday, I went back and sought out to try adopting said dog. We got her outside in the large grass area to see how she was around me and she never growled barked or bit. She even let us check her teeth, which on a lot of dogs they don't like and will sometimes growl. All she wanted to do was run, play, and have her belly rubbed (as a lot of dogs do lol), Since I was in the military they are waived all the fees except the $16 licensing fee. Riverside animal shelter is doing this till Dec 31. As we were going over her info there was a note on her file that said if she was not adopted by the end of the week she would be put down. I asked why she was there for almost 2 months and the reply was "People don't want big dogs like this and typically are afraid of them and think they can't control them".

Well she is 1 year 1 month and they said she will possibly stop growing in a couple months, right now she is about 6'2" on her back legs and is quite tall. The reason she was there was because someone had just said here is a dog and left her at the shelter. I got two somewhat ok pictures of her but will post more when she comes home.

The good thing is I live like 1/4 mile from a huge dog park here in Riverside so we will be frequent visitors lol.

I just wanted to share and let people know, there are great dogs at the animal shelters, plus a lot of you are pit bull fans and they have a lot at the shelter too. Actually pits, and chihuahuas are the two most common types turned in at least in Riverside county and have high death rates in the shelters and get put down sooner since the shelters become over impacted.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Adam, when did you move?

Good choice on the type of dog!

We are looking at adopting a Great Dane ourselves.

Yeah, it's sad that most people like those little rat dogs more than the Gentle Giants.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Nice dog. She'll be a great companion for a long time.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Adam, when did you move?

Good choice on the type of dog!

We are looking at adopting a Great Dane ourselves.

Yeah, it's sad that most people like those little rat dogs more than the Gentle Giants.
Dave I moved earlier this month we finally closed on the house and did some minor fixing and painting before I moved in,

Yeah the sad part is gentle giants requested info on this dog but never came to rescue her and both my fiancée and I could not figure out why they would pass her up.

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Nice dog. She'll be a great companion for a long time.

Yeah probably has about 10 years in her, I know it's bad to look at it that way but that's 10 years we can give her a good home and for her to be a great dog with us.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet looking dog - good for you man!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, it's weird, I can go to a car lot and look at the car of my dreams and walk away, but I can't go to the animal shelter without wanting to help out a fury friend, I am like wtf, I got some wires crossed somewhere lol.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am jealous....great job. Katie wants a dane and I want a mastiff...so chances are will get a dane when we are in the market.

Does she fit in the camaro? lol

We need to get together sometime...i want to see your new place.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fast01z28
i am jealous....great job. Katie wants a dane and I want a mastiff...so chances are will get a dane when we are in the market.

Does she fit in the camaro? lol

We need to get together sometime...i want to see your new place.
Dave I will find out tomorrow if she fits in the Camaro. I hope she does lol.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome Adam , danes are the best , put the back seat down and you should be able to get her in , I had Thor in the lt1 a few times lol
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
Awesome Adam , danes are the best , put the back seat down and you should be able to get her in , I had Thor in the lt1 a few times lol
Ohh sweet man, yeah I might be using my moms car since the fiancée wants to go and be there and my mom wanted to bring out some stuff for the dog too.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well here are more pics of her I just got her home today, she was fine all day, still has a lot of play left in her. She is still out of sorts after getting fixed, but she is fine. I will have to work with her on not jumping, but she leans on people she likes just as a lot of danes do and she listens very well.

Just for reference that window sill is 2 feet from the floor and she has a couple inches on that and she is still growing. I am 6'6" and I do not have to bend over to pet her head so that is quite nice lol.

It has been a rough day for her lol, lots of love today in her new home.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Launching!

She looks comfy in the last pics at her new home

One of my pups came from the streets running loose and the other from a shelter where she was branded a cat hater and not so nice. Both are awesome
Old 01-01-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dyls1
She looks comfy in the last pics at her new home

One of my pups came from the streets running loose and the other from a shelter where she was branded a cat hater and not so nice. Both are awesome

She is very comfortable here. She actually woke me up this morning at 6:30 just by standing at my bed and licking my face, the bed is not low, we have oak foot and head board set it sits about 30" high where I sleep and she was right there haha. Now I just bring her bed out in the living room and she sleeps there during the day, she listens quite well too, and follows me everywhere and constantly leans on me (it's a sign that great danes like you when they lean on you) the only problem is that it aids in the cause of hip dysplasia (bad hips).

Quick Reply: So I adopted a pet