Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LT1 Firebird Headrest Swap

Old 12-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Firebird Headrest Swap

Hey guys. I have a 2002 WS6 and I have found that the headrests are not near as suportive as my 2001 Camaro's were. I have seen pics of the LT1 headrests and they look much more supportive. Those of you who have them, are they more comfortable? Will they swap right over to my seats? I did a search on this and couldn't find anything. thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT1 headrests will swap in, but the color wont match. I think they look bulky and odd looking, but not sure if they are any "better".
Old 12-30-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
LT1 headrests will swap in, but the color wont match. I think they look bulky and odd looking, but not sure if they are any "better".
They are DEFINATELY better, when they work right. When I had the leather seats in my 95, the forward/backward adjustment held less than half the time. The adjustment mechanism is very poor design. The headrests wobbled alot over bumps and the source of alot of noise when they wobbled. When they did work correctly, and the headrest would remain in the full forward adjustment, it ROCKED. I could sit in a normal driving position and have the headrest touch the back of my head, without leaning my head back. As far as swapping over, GM made no design changes to the backrest portion of the Trans Am leather seat from 93-02(only the lower cusion design changed in 96, and the lumbar button design and lower molding changed in 98), so theres no reason the 93-97 style headrest would not go into the 98-02 seats. The Small 98-02 Trans Am headrest is actually from the 93-97 6 cylinder and Formulas Futher, when a 93-97 V6 or Formula got the leather lumbar seats, they got the dinky headrest, not the articulating headrest from the TA.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
They are DEFINATELY better, when they work right. When I had the leather seats in my 95, the forward/backward adjustment held less than half the time. The adjustment mechanism is very poor design. The headrests wobbled alot over bumps and the source of alot of noise when they wobbled. When they did work correctly, and the headrest would remain in the full forward adjustment, it ROCKED.
LT4vert is 100% correct. I had a set of the earlier design (1995) seats from a TA in my old IROC-Z, and both headrests would not stay in the forward position. They would flop back and forth. A friend owns a 1997 WS6, and he has had issues with the headrests since day#1. A very poor design from the standpoint of durability. When they work, they are excellent. But they don't work very much of the time, unfortunately.

I also liked the manual adjustment on the seat bottom cushion (the area under your legs) on the earlier model of the seat. You could adjust it upward, and it would lock into place. Later on, that part of the seat is fixed/molded in place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 Firebird Headrest Swap