Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ 408 Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ 408 Stroker

I have done a bit of research on the internet and there are various budget build and build such but most were written 3-5 years ago. Parts are outdated new stuff has been developed 3-5 years is a lifetime at today's parts development.

I have an 01 Trans Am with an LS1 in it right now. I would like to drop in an LQ motor and make it a 408 stroker. Ideally I'd like to see 550ish HP for street/strip application.

As this is my first full engine rebuild I'll gladly accept any help and advice one can get from a forum. As far as parts go I can't make up my mind on what parts to get because I have a major inability to make a decision and pull the trigger without knowing I made the right decision.

Heres what I was thinking based on what I have read on the internet. I am trying to go budget as much as possible, being that I have a Donor F-body LS1 for things like sensors and covers.

LQ Block
Main cam and rod bearings: Need manufacturer advice
Pistons and rings: need advice
connecting rods: need advice
Crank: need advice

Heads: I have no idea... I cant make up my mind... Some says L92 ported with valve upgrade... but i really need help in this department because I know how much heads mean to the build.

Ah hell I could go on and on about every major part the build and what manu i should buy from and it all turns out I just need someone to tell me for this power and on a budget buy this... Because I don't feel I'll ever know enough about combos to make the right decision.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silenttrouble
I would like to drop in an LQ motor and make it a 408 stroker. Ideally I'd like to see 550ish HP for street/strip application.
Well, it sounds like you are on the right track with a 408, heads and cam. I don't believe you would need a cam with more than 230 duration @ .050 but your best bet is to contact this guy for a custom... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html

As far as parts go I can't make up my mind on what parts to get because I have a major inability to make a decision and pull the trigger without knowing I made the right decision.
At least your doing some research first. That is a smart move, rather than hopping on the first bandwagon that comes along.

Heads: I have no idea... I cant make up my mind... Some says L92 ported with valve upgrade... but i really need help in this department because I know how much heads mean to the build.
You could run CNC'd LS6 (with non-stock valves) or L92 heads. Either one should get you the power you are looking for. Since you are trying to do this on a budget, I would probably choose whichever is less expensive. The heads you decide on will impact your cam specs. So, your best bet is to figure out the heads first. I have seen a couple posts where guys recommended the L92 heads only if you are above a 408 because of the jumbo valves causing shrouding issues. But, I am not an expert on that so you may have to do some more research or hopefully someone else can help confirm things.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I'm running and love it:

LQ4 408
Callies crank and rods
Wiseco -3cc pistons
Stock LS3 heads and intake
231/239 114+2 cam

This motor was built for a daily driver and has run perfect every second since I built it this summer. The stock heads and intake are really the limiting factors on my build. If I had the money, I would have put AFR 230 V2 heads on and it would run a ton better for my application. Let me know if you have any questions. BTW its running around 550hp at the crank.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Id go LS2 408 (aluminum)
Relocate the cam sensor
Some AFR, PRC, or TFS heads (let the engine builder tell you their preference)
Custom cam (Spec'd by TSP, Futral, Shane @ TR, or your engine builder)
1 7/8 LTs
Fast intake
Old 01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id build a 427+ and run LS7 heads fast intake and 1 7/8 LT's like said above 408's are really common now and some heads cam stock ls1's are getting it done like stroker motors

Quick Reply: LQ 408 Stroker