View Full Version : next gen camaro to debut 2015

JHL88
01-01-2012, 12:21 AM
http://www.lsxtv.com/news/next-generation-camaro-confirmed-for-2016/

next gen 6.2, yes please!

88blackgt
01-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Hope theres a refresh before that. The design was "old" when it rolled of the lines. Article has almost 0 information.

01-02-2012, 11:31 AM
True 88blackgt, the only news I got is the new Gen will be in 2015. They need to do some sort of refresh, especially to the tail lights and dash. Thats my opinion.

LS1LT1
01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
The design was "old" when it rolled of the lines. I don't know if I'd go that far.
The car generated A LOT of excitement/buzz when it was first shown/released and sales figures backed that excitement up as well...it likely didn't look all that dated or 'old' to everyone else.
But EVERYTHING gets old eventually so a refresh is definitely going to be necessary (obviously).

88blackgt
01-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't know if I'd go that far.
The car generated A LOT of excitement/buzz when it was first shown/released and sales figures backed that excitement up as well...it likely didn't look all that dated or 'old' to everyone else.
But EVERYTHING gets old eventually so a refresh is definitely going to be necessary (obviously).

It was debuted almost 4 years before it hit the streets. It was featured in 2 movies before it hit the streets. GM dropped the ball on delivering this car. Do you really want to see this same body for another 3 years?

LS1LT1
01-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Do you really want to see this same body for another 3 years?Yes.
3-4 years I can see but probably no more than that.
The car is still very appealing to me when I see one. While I was never totally blown away by it's styling/look in the very beginning it has actually grown on me even more over the last year and I do believe that it's still fresh enough to withstand another few years with little change.
But again, many vehicle designs do get old after a while and a few years from now this one will probably be no exception.
Even though it's 'basic look' has been the same since late 2004, I do also still like the Mustang's styling as well.
And I still stare at Challengers when they drive by too.

unit213
01-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Hope theres a refresh before that. The design was "old" when it rolled of the lines. Article has almost 0 information.

Agreed. A refresh is already in order. :nod: Along with a drastic redesign of the rear end, which won't happen unfortunately.

2016. :nono:

LS1LT1
01-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Hope theres a refresh before that. The design was "old" when it rolled of the lines.Agreed. A refresh is already in order. :nod: Along with a drastic redesign of the rear end, which won't happen unfortunately.Hmm, just curious what you two think about the Mustang then, now entering it's 3rd model year looking EXACTLY the same and on it's way to an 8th model year with only one minor styling update?:huh:
Again I happen to like the Mustang's looks a lot but talk about gettin' old/stale LOL. ;)

jmurray87
01-03-2012, 12:14 AM
I can see GM doing a real minor refresh for the 2014 model year but it wont be drastic like the 2009 to 2010 Mustang was. I hope GM listened to the performance side of the fans on the major dislike for the size and weight of the car but earlier reports already said that it would be on a smaller platform so there is hope.

No more retro interiors please.

Revoroller
01-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Would be badass if they did a 69 1/2-73 split bumper style for the next gen

Zlow28
01-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Im still not tired of the whole retro look. I still think they look badass whenever you see these cars in the street.

However i think the whole retro designs are really holding the car back from reaching higher performance times, which is what most of us want. Im no engineer or anything like that, but its hard to accept that most of these 5th gens are running very similar times as the previous gens. I think thats what let most people down to begin with. Id like to see less horsepower numbers, and better performance times. Underrate these cars again if you have to.

JHL88
01-03-2012, 01:36 AM
as long as it drops 300lbs or more, plus i can't wait to see what the next gen 6.2 will put out. i think it will do good

DiscerningZ32
01-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Old full-size sedan chassis, poorly designed interior, and an already aging exterior.
Though, the interior IS still highly praised and admired by the average consumer (not myself, but hey...).

88blackgt
01-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Hmm, just curious what you two think about the Mustang then, now entering it's 3rd model year looking EXACTLY the same and on it's way to an 8th model year with only one minor styling update?:huh:
Again I happen to like the Mustang's looks a lot but talk about gettin' old/stale LOL. ;)

Think of it this way;

Mustang got a new body 05. Refreshed in 2010. Rumored new body again in 2014.

Camaro unveiled in 06. Its 2012 and no refresh yet.

I assume they'll do something, waiting til 2015 is a long time.

6 Shooter
01-03-2012, 10:25 AM
:drive:

94FBIRD
01-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Think of it this way;

Camaro unveiled in 06. Its 2012 and no refresh yet.

'Cheat' logic because you can't really count the years between concept and an actual model available to the consumer in the showrooms.

Pseudonym
01-03-2012, 09:25 PM
'Cheat' logic because you can't really count the years between concept and an actual model available to the consumer in the showrooms.

I would agree with this on any other concept. However, the camaro concept was in the public eye way too much. I was tired of it before it was available to the consumer. The 2005 mustang concept was debuted in 2004. If we add 1 year to the Mustang side, would that make it fair logic?

ThisBlood147
01-03-2012, 11:27 PM
No more retro interiors please.

This. I love retro styling cues on the exterior of these cars, but I cannot abide it in the interior design. I always thought it funny that the GM designers claimed to aiming for a more modern edge to the Camaro's styling (as opposed to an unabashed retro recreation ala Challenger), yet they made every attempt imaginable to give the car a throwback interior. Why not just have a fully modern cockpit?

jmurray87
01-04-2012, 12:01 AM
I would agree with this on any other concept. However, the camaro concept was in the public eye way too much. I was tired of it before it was available to the consumer. The 2005 mustang concept was debuted in 2004. If we add 1 year to the Mustang side, would that make it fair logic?

2003 actually, but I do agree the Camaro was showed a TAD to early but at the time in 06 it was nothing more then a concept car with no production plans. They hyped the crap out of the car using movies and tv shows and dragging it on and it has obviously paid off sales wise. The thing with the world today is that the online media is so huge that everything is exposed and hyped so we see, read, and hear about it that much more and earlier so it makes it look as though things are dragged on much longer. Back in 2003 when the Mustang concept came out mostly it was covered by magazine and small internet blogs compared to the mass online media that was around by time the 2006 Camaro concept came about.

LS1LT1
01-04-2012, 12:49 AM
2003 actually, but I do agree the Camaro was showed a TAD to early but at the time in 06 it was nothing more then a concept car with no production plans. They hyped the crap out of the car using movies and tv shows and dragging it on and it has obviously paid off sales wise. The thing with the world today is that the online media is so huge that everything is exposed and hyped so we see, read, and hear about it that much more and earlier so it makes it look as though things are dragged on much longer. Back in 2003 when the Mustang concept came out mostly it was covered by magazine and small internet blogs compared to the mass online media that was around by time the 2006 Camaro concept came about.Excellent points.
Another factor is that the Camaro was out of production for so many years, there was simply a huge amount of hype and hunger by GM, the media and the public based solely on that alone.

LEO
01-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I really hope they focus on weight reduction it will make everything about the Camaro better. The goal should be 200+ pound reduction, that would make a world of difference and most drivers would be able to "feel" the difference in handling and acceleration.

WSsick
01-04-2012, 11:57 AM
The current Mustang has been around since 2010, it's already getting a refresh, Shelby front end = :hump:

http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2011/12/2013-Ford-Mustang-front-view-623x389.jpg

And the taillights look good as well.

88blackgt
01-04-2012, 12:07 PM
I forgot all about that ^^

thunderstruck507
01-04-2012, 02:41 PM
The new mustang update looks killer. Especially the tail light update, the current ass end on Mustangs is as bad or worse than the Camaros and that is saying a lot.

I also agree the Camaro needs at least a minor update. Also needs a little more to seperate the SS from the v6 IMO.

Ass end needs major work.

MasterTomos
01-04-2012, 02:56 PM
True 88blackgt, the only news I got is the new Gen will be in 2015. They need to do some sort of refresh, especially to the tail lights and dash. Thats my opinion.

The new mustang update looks killer. Especially the tail light update, the current ass end on Mustangs is as bad or worse than the Camaros and that is saying a lot.

I also agree the Camaro needs at least a minor update. Also needs a little more to seperate the SS from the v6 IMO.

Im not sure why so many people complain about the dash and dont follow the news...The minor update was done for the 2012 model, and the total facelift will be in 2015...the dash and interior where revamped for the 2012 model, so by the time production ends for this model, that will be the "early years 2010-2011 interior..."

2012 interior example, new dash design, new steering wheel, added interior lighting ect:

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab300/Mastertomos/Chevrolet-Camaro-Red-Flash_06.jpg

Idk how people can stand the 2010 mustang update, it looks absolutely terrible IMO. Tailights=:barf:

thunderstruck507
01-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Not sure why you quoted me I didn't comment on the interior at all. I've seen or read of no planned changes to the Camaro exterior.

The 2010 Mustang update was still nicer than the 05-09, but I was referring to the upcoming Mustang update which changes the front end a little and greatly improves the tail light design.

The Camaro is in desperate need of exterior changes, especially to the rear. The huge block of boring with the smaller but still huge chunk of cheap ass looking plastic around the exhaust is crap and needs alteration. Maybe a nice black area between the tail lights to help break up the back some?

Needs SS badges on the fenders too, and more distinct rear SS badge. Having the SS the same color as the RS badge blows, especially since the emblem is so tiny.

1CAMWNDR
01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Maybe they will get rid of the low roof high window sill look. I can't fit in the 5th gen. More headroom please....

01-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Im not sure why so many people complain about the dash and dont follow the news...The minor update was done for the 2012 model, and the total facelift will be in 2015...the dash and interior where revamped for the 2012 model, so by the time production ends for this model, that will be the "early years 2010-2011 interior..."

2012 interior example, new dash design, new steering wheel, added interior lighting ect:

]

Idk how people can stand the 2010 mustang update, it looks absolutely terrible IMO. Tailights=:barf:

I haven't seen the 2012 in person nor was I aware they updated the interior. But judging from the picture I'm not impressed. I am not a fan of the dual bezel , imo it looks like a half hearted tribute to the 1st Gen, I also don't care for the center stack. I love how comfortable the interior is and the quality, it just doesn't impress me. I also really dislike the tail lights and the lack of visibility in the 5th Gen, but mainly the tail lights.
Now it's the opposite for me with the Mustang I like the layout, visibilty, tail lights (Sequential), but the dash and door panel material is 70's cheese and the biggest thing is reliability. I would've bought a new 5.0 last year but the wife hated it, so much so it wasn't even worth test driving to have the arguement.

I hope the 6th Gen is an evolution like the 2010 Mustang was but better, and lighter, and while I wishing a DI 6.2.

Tainted
01-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Itd be badass if everyone got away from retro period. Big, heavy ass cars, with a flashback 70s interior is not appealing.

CranMaro99
01-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Itd be badass if everyone got away from retro period. Big, heavy ass cars, with a flashback 70s interior is not appealing.

Yeah, I'm honestly getting tired of it myself.

MasterTomos
01-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Not sure why you quoted me I didn't comment on the interior at all. I've seen or read of no planned changes to the Camaro exterior.

The 2010 Mustang update was still nicer than the 05-09, but I was referring to the upcoming Mustang update which changes the front end a little and greatly improves the tail light design.

The Camaro is in desperate need of exterior changes, especially to the rear. The huge block of boring with the smaller but still huge chunk of cheap ass looking plastic around the exhaust is crap and needs alteration. Maybe a nice black area between the tail lights to help break up the back some?

Needs SS badges on the fenders too, and more distinct rear SS badge. Having the SS the same color as the RS badge blows, especially since the emblem is so tiny.

I was more in reference to your quote about the mustang, not the Camaro.
The reason the SS and the RS badges are the same color is because the red lettering actually indicates it's an RS. If it's also an SS, they just make the SS badge red so they don't have to put SS/RS. Non-RS SS cars have white SS badges.

RS V6=Red RS emblem
SS V8=White SS emblem
RS/SS V8=Red SS Emblem

I do agree there needs to be more distinction between the V8 and V6 cars other than the mail slot in the front bumper and the badges.

UltraZLS1
01-05-2012, 01:25 AM
The car is definitely in dire need of some changes. It is outselling the mustang for the first time in 30 years. Sales are up 20% from this time last year.

GM needs to hurry up and get back to its roots so they can stop production again.

The car should lose a few hundred pounds. Other than that it is fine.

Anyone who thinks it needs an exterior change obviously doesnt own one. The amount of compliments I get is almost annoying. The general public didnt see the concept in 2006 and transformers just left them wanting more. Most people are still blown away by it. And before anyone says...no I didnt buy the car for this reason. When I bought my 98 everyone thought it looked like shit. I buy camaros because I am a fan and for the performance.

The car is in its 3rd model year. 2015 would be the normal time for a change or refresh. How could GM afford to retool every 3 years...seriously?

thunderstruck507
01-05-2012, 12:04 PM
RS V6=Red RS emblem
SS V8=White SS emblem
RS/SS V8=Red SS Emblem

Wasn't aware of that, don't recall having seen a white emblem car in person. The red emblems look awful IMO.

MasterTomos
01-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Wasn't aware of that, don't recall having seen a white emblem car in person. The red emblems look awful IMO.

Here's one I just stumbled upon. You usually see the SS with the RS package as well (halo headlights, slightly tinted tails, color matched roof ditch molding). The RS option was a cheap option in the 10-11 cars, so most SS's had it.

http://www.ridelust.com/2010-chevy-camaro-ss-sold-on-ebay-for-73000/

LS1LT1
01-06-2012, 12:10 PM
It is outselling the mustang for the first time in 30 years. Sales are up 20% from this time last year.

The car should lose a few hundred pounds. Other than that it is fine.

Anyone who thinks it needs an exterior change obviously doesnt own one. The amount of compliments I get is almost annoying. The general public didnt see the concept in 2006 and transformers just left them wanting more. Most people are still blown away by it. And before anyone says...no I didnt buy the car for this reason. When I bought my 98 everyone thought it looked like shit. I buy camaros because I am a fan and for the performance.

The car is in its 3rd model year. 2015 would be the normal time for a change or refresh. How could GM afford to retool every 3 years...seriously?:werd: Exactly. :nod:

I have a friend with a red V6 and another with a black SS, both cars still turn heads as if we were still in 2010 (when the car was still fresh/new).

unit213
01-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Anyone who thinks it needs an exterior change obviously doesnt own one.

Think about that statement for a second. Why would someone buy one if they feel that it needs an exterior change? :confused: Personally, I would've bought a 5th gen if it didn't look like it does.

TriShield
01-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Old full-size sedan chassis, poorly designed interior, and an already aging exterior.

The structure was entirely new when work on the Camaro commenced, in the automotive world it is hardly old as is the Camaro itself. 2016 sounds like the normal lifespan for a model. Especially when you consider the Mustang hasn't had a ground-up redesign since 2005.

Still, there is scant real information on what exactly is going to happen with the next Camaro. It's probably better they keep it that way. If you guys really get lower weight by extensive use of aluminum and other materials I hope you are prepared to pay Audi-like prices for it or keep your mouths shut when the price is high.

Be careful what you wish for.

TriShield
01-07-2012, 08:03 PM
2012 interior example, new dash design, new steering wheel, added interior lighting ect

The only big change is the car now uses the GM corporate steering wheel design instead of it's own unique wheel. Everything is virtually the same as when the car bowed and will likely remain that way for some time.

Adding extra lighting and a parts bin wheel isn't a dramatic interior redux or refresh.

ULTIMATEORANGESS
01-07-2012, 09:07 PM
The structure was entirely new when work on the Camaro commenced, in the automotive world it is hardly old as is the Camaro itself. 2016 sounds like the normal lifespan for a model. Especially when you consider the Mustang hasn't had a ground-up redesign since 2005.

Still, there is scant real information on what exactly is going to happen with the next Camaro. It's probably better they keep it that way. If you guys really get lower weight by extensive use of aluminum and other materials I hope you are prepared to pay Audi-like prices for it or keep your mouths shut when the price is high.

nope, theyll still be cry babies complaining about how high HP cars using lightweight parts shouldnt increase cost.

sorry, but today people want drive ability and comfort in a performance car and GM has done a decent job with that.

TransAmWS.6
01-07-2012, 10:38 PM
sorry, but today people want drive ability and comfort in a performance car and GM has done a decent job with that.

:zzz: And this is the reason why you have a bunch of people out there who buy these 5th gens and they aren't even real car enthusiasts. Never really occurred with the 4th gens :judge:

ULTIMATEORANGESS
01-07-2012, 10:40 PM
:zzz: And this is the reason why you have a bunch of people out there who buy these 5th gens and they aren't even real car enthusiasts. Never really occurred with the 4th gens :judge:

and thats why 5th gens are successful and 4th gens werent.

like or not thats how it is.

TransAmWS.6
01-07-2012, 10:56 PM
and thats why 5th gens are successful and 4th gens werent.

like or not thats how it is.

Exactly, and this is part of the reason why a lot of 4th gen owners don't usually care for 5th gens. Not even close to being the same type of car they used to be, as a result they generally appeal to a much different crowd of buyers.

ULTIMATEORANGESS
01-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Exactly, and this is part of the reason why a lot of 4th gen owners don't usually care for 5th gens. Not even close to being the same type of car they used to be, as a result they generally appeal to a much different crowd of buyers.

and it appeals to a broader range of buyers. sales is what matters and even in a weak economy its sales are strong.

5th gens are better overall cars and 170,000+ people and counting seem to agree.

TriShield
01-08-2012, 03:08 PM
5th gens are better overall cars and 170,000+ people and counting seem to agree.

GM (and Ford) both came up with cars that are vastly more pleasant to drive, ride in, look at inside and out and live with. That's why the current crop of muscle cars are selling so well (in a down economy) and have put the hurt on Asian coupes.

GM learned from the 4th gen and Ford's 2005 Mustang redesign that you can't put together a junky point-and-shoot car and expect a large number of people to buy it anymore.

2QuikTA
01-08-2012, 04:38 PM

Tri couldn't be more spot on. That's the problem with the internets, everybody wants their cake and eat it to.

ULTIMATEORANGESS
01-08-2012, 11:01 PM
GM (and Ford) both came up with cars that are vastly more pleasant to drive, ride in, look at inside and out and live with. That's why the current crop of muscle cars are selling so well (in a down economy) and have put the hurt on Asian coupes.

GM learned from the 4th gen and Ford's 2005 Mustang redesign that you can't put together a junky point-and-shoot car and expect a large number of people to buy it anymore.

Tri couldn't be more spot on. That's the problem with the internets, everybody wants their cake and eat it to.

yes and yes.

people want a ton of power and a light vehicle but dont want to pay.

thats why GM didnt design it that way.

DoggyB22
01-09-2012, 04:23 AM

Like this?
http://img.tapatalk.com/ae496998-1f1c-4d91.jpg

Ehh I think GM doing that would be retarded. I mean after the 6th gen you guys are going to start saying they should make 1974-81 style Camaros! They need to make THEIR OWN look now. They did the whole modern 1969 Camaro look which worked out because it was the rebirth of the Camaro. But that's where it ends. & don't get me wrong I LOVE the look of 5th gens. But the 6th gen shouldn't be its own design

Oh & in case you guys missed this ;)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=321088&stc=1&d=1325691525

Stinger22009
01-09-2012, 12:13 PM
I'd rather see a different, lighter camaro for the next generation. I've never been a big fan of the current one.

Darksol
01-21-2012, 07:09 PM

Really? Then why were so many 4th gens build with the automatic instead of the 6-speed. My WS6 was a impulse buy 10 years ago. Were I to do it again I would have found a 6 speed or waited a couple more years and bought a C5 stick. A overwhelming majority of Corvettes and F-bodies (and 5th gen Camaro's) are autos. Not what most would call enthusiastic.

BULLITT65
04-11-2012, 11:09 PM
thats a good concept for those of you praying for a retro vega...lol

keep the retro look, trim the fat! Give US THE Z/28 with a 6 speed only, magnetic ride control from the cadi/ZL1. I would also like to see manual crank windows, and some extra light possibly new carbon panels on the Z. I would like to see it cut more than 300 lbs more like 500.

HioSSilver
04-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I like the current. But I will be in the market for a 6th gen. Until then my 4th gen seems to be running better all the time and still looks almost new.

SparkyJJO
04-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Interesting, on my way home from work today there was a yellow with black stripes 5th gen in the left lane a couple car lengths behind me for a while. I kept eying it in my mirror, thinking how good it looked.

I've always liked the front. I've always been a little unsure of the back end, somewhat indifferent I suppose towards it. But the front and side shots I definitely do like.

I also like my 4th gen, so does this put me in a strange minority group that likes both 4th and 5th gens?

Johnnystock
04-12-2012, 12:18 AM
thats a good concept for those of you praying for a retro vega...lol

keep the retro look, trim the fat! Give US THE Z/28 with a 6 speed only, magnetic ride control from the cadi/ZL1. I would also like to see manual crank windows, and some extra light possibly new carbon panels on the Z. I would like to see it cut more than 300 lbs more like 500.

Manual crank window? lol that would be a suicide. Nobody is gonna buy this, except plp who buy the Camaro for racing purpose only, which is really rare/non existent. You have the ZL1 that features a lot of great things with 580hp. Its fasters than a Boss, which is lighter.

I agree though that it nees to be way lighter for the next Gen cause it will help contribute to keep the Camaro alive; lighter means faster, more MPG and better critics overall; all the important points and arguments for the average customer.

Interesting, on my way home from work today there was a yellow with black stripes 5th gen in the left lane a couple car lengths behind me for a while. I kept eying it in my mirror, thinking how good it looked.

I've always liked the front. I've always been a little unsure of the back end, somewhat indifferent I suppose towards it. But the front and side shots I definitely do like.

I also like my 4th gen, so does this put me in a strange minority group that likes both 4th and 5th gens?

I like both and I'm torn between selling my 4th Gen to get a 5th Gen..and I'm dreaming about the ZL1 too!!

LS1LT1
04-12-2012, 12:32 AM

I've always liked the front. I've always been a little unsure of the back end, somewhat indifferent I suppose towards it. But the front and side shots I definitely do like.With the 5th gen, I went from "yeah, the new Camaros are pretty nice" to "ya know, it's really growing on me" and now having driven a few of them and seeing them around far more often than a year ago, I'm actually like "these car are really good looking" which is odd because usually the less often I see a new model the more exciting it is to me.
I think they're great cars overall, a little too heavy yes, but still good looking, well made cars in my opinion. :nod:

I also like my 4th gen, so does this put me in a strange minority group that likes both 4th and 5th gens?Well you're not alone, I like both 4th and 5th gens a lot as well. Not sure if I'll ever sell my LS1 Z28 or if I'll ever own a 5th gen, but I do like them all. :burn:

RPM WS6
04-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Really? Then why were so many 4th gens build with the automatic instead of the 6-speed. My WS6 was a impulse buy 10 years ago. Were I to do it again I would have found a 6 speed or waited a couple more years and bought a C5 stick. A overwhelming majority of Corvettes and F-bodies (and 5th gen Camaro's) are autos. Not what most would call enthusiastic.

That last sentance is just your opinion. I'm probably more enthusiastic about and content with my 4th gens than the majority of people on this site. I've owned 4 of them; 2 of which I bought brand new, 2 of which I still have and 1 of which will probably stay with me until I die. Some have been raced and modded, some have been daily drivers, and some have been show cars. Every single one was an auto, and I WANTED it that way. NONE were impluse buys. The only "luxury" option (if you want to call it that) that has ever interested me in a performance car is an auto; this is based on my location and the sort of driving/racing that interests me. To infer that people who like autos can't be or aren't enthusiasts is just plain silly. Let's skip the A4 vs M6 war, because we all know that it's a pointless debate and not welcome here, and that just as many manual owners are fickle and will bounce from one car to another as auto owners.

Anyway, I drove a 5th gen just as soon as my local dealer had one back in 2009, and then I drove a second one many months later. I really wanted to love the car, but it just didn't happen. I've bought several brand new cars from GM (including a Camaro and a Trans Am) over the years, so I am someone that could have been sold on a new Camaro if I had just liked it more. I was more impressed in 1999 with the brand new Z28 that I drove than I was in 2009 with the brand new 5th gen that I drove; this was due mostly to styling and seating position - both a matter of personal preference. The L99 was also a let-down, I probably would have had a more favorable opinion if I could have had an LS3/A6 combo.

It's always possibile that I might end up with a 5th gen one day as a driver (only because I can't buy a brand new 4th gen any more), but I'll never care for it like I have my 4th gens.

xfactor_pitbulls
04-19-2012, 10:10 PM

Wouldnt it be badass if they came up with original ideas, instead of the retro bullshit? It was cool in the 60's and 70's (well maybe 70's) fucking move on.

01ssreda4
04-20-2012, 07:07 AM
I was more impressed in 1999 with the brand new Z28 that I drove than I was in 2009 with the brand new 5th gen that I drove

I think that some of this is because of age increase which brings priority changes and a different mindset. Also, I don't think the new Camaro shares the same heritage as the older Gens do. The older cars were cheap ways to go fast. The newer ones are heavy, and a hell of a lot nicer overall of a car. Comparing a 4th gen to a 5th gen is like comparing an apple to an orange......not so much with a 3rd vs 4th gen (and I've owned both of those).......I've ridden in a new Challenger....man that thing was so damn quiet and squeak/rattle free it was silly, but it didn't have the rawness of my SS. I don't care to spend 30k for that.

1ltcap
04-22-2012, 11:32 PM
It was debuted almost 4 years before it hit the streets. It was featured in 2 movies before it hit the streets. GM dropped the ball on delivering this car. Do you really want to see this same body for another 3 years?

with the exception of the tail lights, and a few interior bits, this is the best looking camaro that's been built since the 60's. i think this body could easily survive another three years.

It'llrun
04-23-2012, 03:06 AM
with the exception of the tail lights, and a few interior bits, this is the best looking camaro that's been built since the 60's. i think this body could easily survive another three years.It looks great! However, it probably won't successfully last another 3yrs. Sure, they could sell it, but at the rate of today and the past couple years? I doubt it.

The main reason isn't even that it's grown long in the tooth aesthetically. That will play some role, but the real "game changer" will be about the press on this one. Any time a new model comes out and can be compared with an existing, particularly in the performance car world, it will be by the automotive press.

That press has already become indignant with what enamored them just 1 or 2yrs ago. They complain about the interior(with justification, but still) to the point people forget about the exterior and even how long this car has been around. The poor qualities aren't even a real issue, but you wouldn't know that based on recent articles. The only REAL issue with the current Camaro is outward visibility... One could also argue that the L99 is a complete and utter waste and should never have been used for anything built after 2004, let alone the "all new" Camaro. The only reason is... There is an LS3!

As much as I like this current Camaro(except that massive rear end) on the outside, I still prefer a 4th gen T/A from end to end. Then again, I also like the 1972 F-body(but not all 2nd gens appeal to me)...

I'm with the majority, I think, when I say the most important change needs to be in the WEIGHT! It needs to lose at very least, 200 lb. It can happen too, if the ATS platform we all seem to expect is the one used. That may bring us a 3500-3600 lb Camaro in V8 automatic form. Couple that with the LS3 and it's going to do very well. Use instead, a 5.5L with DI and it should still work wonderfully. I do hope they bring the rear panels down about 6inches and open the outward view.

2QuikTA
04-23-2012, 03:56 AM
This thread is lame.

Everybody wants it to weigh a bunch less, but when it comes out priced at $40-50k because of those expensive lightweight materials these same people will be all "OMG! I won't spend that on a Camaro!! GM is stupid!"

DoggyB22
04-23-2012, 05:02 AM

Ass end needs major work.

Ehh... Whats wrong with 5th gen tail lights? :confused:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2010/ghij/2010-Hurst-Camaro-Series-5-Rear-And-Side-1280x960.jpg
http://autoflazh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Chevy_Camaro_SSX-rear-angel-1024x682.jpg
http://www.phastekperformance.com/v/vspfiles/photos/HAVOC-CAMARO-BODY-KIT-3.jpg

I will agree with you on the Mustangs though ;) haha don't know if you've noticed but the 2013 tail lights are pretty much the same as 09-12. Just minus the reverse lights.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/2011-mustang-gt-tech/151831d1332282726-2013-mustang-tail-light-question-2010_v_2013_mustang_taillight_compare_resize.jpg

Although this conversion kit is pretty freaking bad ass!
http://www.stangpit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/2010-shelby-tailLightConv_LIT_800.jpg

& I don't know imo I think the ZL1 looks better then the 2013 GT500? Not saying the GT500 doesn't look good. But id prefer the ZL1. Still not a fan of the Mustang taillights. Only liked the 2005-09 style.

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/resize/620x430/quality/85/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/02/12-2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-1297267586.jpg
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg80/scaled.php?server=80&filename=tailquick.jpg&res=landing

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/resize/960x655/quality/85/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/01/06-2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-fd.jpg
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Ford-Mustang_Shelby_GT500_2013_800x600_wallpaper_0b.jpg

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/resize/960x655/quality/85/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/01/03-2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-fd.jpg
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Ford-Mustang_Shelby_GT500_2013_800x600_wallpaper_03.jpg

and it appeals to a broader range of buyers. sales is what matters and even in a weak economy its sales are strong. 5th gens are better overall cars and 170,000+ people and counting seem to agree.

This... Performance more goes towards 4th gens. & comfortable & ride quality goes towards 5th gens. I wouldn't mind owning a 5th gen. Might get one when I'm older. I love the look just wish they weighed less & weren't ass "bulky"

This thread is lame.

Everybody wants it to weigh a bunch less, but when it comes out priced at $40-50k because of those expensive lightweight materials these same people will be all "OMG! I won't spend that on a Camaro!! GM is stupid!"

:bang: If a Mustang can weigh in the 35xx-36xx range I think a Camaro can. & I'm pretty sure it will since its moving platforms. Cadillac ATS weighs like 34xx lbs. Why can't the Camaro? & don't think GM will raise the price of the 6th gen because it weighs less then the previous generation? Haha

It'llrun
04-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Ehh... Whats wrong with 5th gen tail lights? :confused:They look like a wicked "eyes" carving in a Halloween pumpkin!

I will agree with you on the Mustangs though ;) haha don't know if you've noticed but the 2013 tail lights are pretty much the same as 09-12. Just minus the reverse lights.Part of what's actually cool about the 2013 Mustang taillights is that they appear to be missing the reverse lights, but they're not. Since they used LED's, they've got both in the same package. Not many cars look that clean because basically all have separate reverse lights. I think it's very resourceful.

& I don't know imo I think the ZL1 looks better then the 2013 GT500? Not saying the GT500 doesn't look good. But id prefer the ZL1. Still not a fan of the Mustang taillights. Only liked the 2005-09 style.I like both individually, but since you added near identical angles side by side, I now think the Mustang looks much better.

:bang: If a Mustang can weigh in the 35xx-36xx range I think a Camaro can. & I'm pretty sure it will since its moving platforms. Cadillac ATS weighs like 34xx lbs. Why can't the Camaro? & don't think GM will raise the price of the 6th gen because it weighs less then the previous generation? HahaNo reason the Camaro can't weigh less, period. It need not cost more either. Since they're planning to start the ATS around 55k, a re-skin for Camaro won't cost much more. I can't say it would impress me to see a 55k starting price for the Camaro, however. Simply enough, GM can just add LESS stuff!

Z Fury
04-23-2012, 08:39 AM
No reason the Camaro can't weigh less, period. It need not cost more either. Since they're planning to start the ATS around 55k, a re-skin for Camaro won't cost much more. I can't say it would impress me to see a 55k starting price for the Camaro, however. Simply enough, GM can just add LESS stuff!

The ATS-V will be starting at $55K (rumored), not the base ATS. And you're also comparing a Cadillac to a Camaro. With that logic, the ZL1 should be $70K since the CTS-V is.

I don't see Camaro pricing changing much with the 6th Gen. A couple grand at most. The weight savings is coming from the newer chassis, not from carbon composite pieces. Adjusted for inflation, I see the 6th Gen SS Camaro starting around $35K.

It'llrun
04-23-2012, 11:09 AM
The ATS-V will be starting at $55K (rumored), not the base ATS. And you're also comparing a Cadillac to a Camaro. With that logic, the ZL1 should be $70K since the CTS-V is.I wasn't comparing anything. I merely said I wouldn't like to see a 55K starting price for the Camaro... Maybe I should've also said "if that's really where ATS-V will start." Mistakenly, it seems, I wasn't completely clear on which ATS the starting price would be... I suppose I took for granted, everyone here already knew the only ATS that's likely to share an engine with the Camaro would be the V. The CTS-V starts at a little under 65k. The ZL1 starts around 54k... that's significantly different and I would hope the same 11 grand or so price difference exists between the ATS-V and the next Camaro SS, if not a bigger spread. There will be "less stuff" and we know it. There's simply no chance a Camaro SS, and probably not even a ZL1 will have all the features of a high end Cadillac.

I don't see Camaro pricing changing much with the 6th Gen. A couple grand at most. The weight savings is coming from the newer chassis, not from carbon composite pieces. Adjusted for inflation, I see the 6th Gen SS Camaro starting around $35K.A couple grand is a pretty high amount for most members here. It's notable when the version most of us would want starts at more than 32k. That small change would bring the 1SS into the 2SS range at current pricing.

The price doesn't have to go up, but it may. The whole reason I said it can lose weight and mentioned the ATS is... that's a smaller and lighter chassis. The idea that it won't cost much more was solely attributed to the body and what GM will spend on those initially. The car is expected to cost much less, considering it will likely get an interior that makes the ATS look like... a 30yr newer model. I expect updates, but not a move away from "cheapness" as has been written for ages with F-body's, etc.

Z Fury
04-23-2012, 11:30 AM
A couple grand is a pretty high amount for most members here. It's notable when the version most of us would want starts at more than 32k. That small change would bring the 1SS into the 2SS range at current pricing.

The price doesn't have to go up, but it may. The whole reason I said it can lose weight and mentioned the ATS is... that's a smaller and lighter chassis. The idea that it won't cost much more was solely attributed to the body and what GM will spend on those initially. The car is expected to cost much less, considering it will likely get an interior that makes the ATS look like... a 30yr newer model. I expect updates, but not a move away from "cheapness" as has been written for ages with F-body's, etc.

I'm just saying, adjusted for inflation. People raged with the 1SS started at $30K, but adjusted for inflation it was on par with a 4G SS. We've printed too much money lately, and the price of everything is going up. Maybe there will be some cost savings by using this chassis for a broad lineup, but my bet is $33-35K for the 6th Gen due to inflation alone. And I agree, that will suck.

It'llrun
04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm just saying, adjusted for inflation. People raged with the 1SS started at $30K, but adjusted for inflation it was on par with a 4G SS. We've printed too much money lately, and the price of everything is going up. Maybe there will be some cost savings by using this chassis for a broad lineup, but my bet is $33-35K for the 6th Gen due to inflation alone. And I agree, that will suck.
I agree on the probable price. Don't much like it, but it seems that's almost all they can do, if for no other reason, the one you mentioned.

The good thing is, I think sharing the ATS-V(just for you :jest: ) chassis will allow for a lower price than if the Camaro were getting its own and it will surely be better once the bugs are worked out, than the current design, absolutely being lighter and hopefully less wind resistant.

SSCamaro99_3
04-23-2012, 03:30 PM
No reason the Camaro can't weigh less, period. It need not cost more either. Since they're planning to start the ATS around 55k, a re-skin for Camaro won't cost much more. I can't say it would impress me to see a 55k starting price for the Camaro, however. Simply enough, GM can just add LESS stuff!

I think you are missing what 2QuickTA was saying. In order to shave the amount of weight we would like off of the current 5th gen, they would have to start using some exotic materials, which would significantly increase price.

The 6th gen should be starting out on a smaller lighter chassis, lwhich would have less need for light materials to make an acceptable weight.

It'llrun
04-23-2012, 03:42 PM
I think you are missing what 2QuickTA was saying. In order to shave the amount of weight we would like off of the current 5th gen, they would have to start using some exotic materials, which would significantly increase price.I'm not missing it. I didn't even respond to him. I'm just saying what you are, but more definitively.

The 6th gen should be starting out on a smaller lighter chassis, lwhich would have less need for light materials to make an acceptable weight.It is going to use a smaller platform and will surely be a lighter car than the current behemoth.

thunderstruck507
04-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Ehh... Whats wrong with 5th gen tail lights? :confused:

Nothing is wrong with the tail lights (especially with the filler panel painted black and a proper center mount SS emblem), its the bulkiness below them and the huge cheap looking POS plastic lower valance that looks like shit. Along with the narrow looking tires compared to the huge ass end and the awkward way the roof pillars come down to the trunk. The 5th gen looks great from the front and side, but the rear is a big bundle of disappointment.

SSCamaro99_3
04-23-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm not missing it. I didn't even respond to him. I'm just saying what you are, but more definitively.

It is going to use a smaller platform and will surely be a lighter car than the current behemoth.

I quoted the wrong poster, wanted to grab someone else's comment. Was trying to quote DoggyB22. Everybody quoting pictures makes threads a pain in the ass.

It'llrun
04-23-2012, 04:01 PM
^^ :lol:

LS1LT1
04-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Everybody wants it to weigh a bunch less, but when it comes out priced at $40-50k because of those expensive lightweight materials these same people will be all "OMG! I won't spend that on a Camaro!! GM is stupid!"Good point, ya can't really have it both ways.
The Mustang line comes close (ie: lighter weight but still at a decent price) but they're really not all that light either (especially the GT500s and/or the convertibles), they just happen to be overall lighter than the Camaro line which is overall lighter than the Challenger line.

I too am looking forward to a lighter Camaro in the future, be it based on the new ATS platform (which is most likely) or even something else.

1ltcap
04-24-2012, 09:40 AM
doggys post with all the pictures shows just how good the gt500 really looks.

It'llrun
04-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Good point, ya can't really have it both ways. Why not? Other than government intervention, this isn't a problem. Oh yeah... They intervene... Still, Camaro could be lighter and probably will be with the next generation.

firebird99
04-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Does anyone know what the weight difference is between a solid axle and a IRS setup?

SSCamaro99_3
04-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know what the weight difference is between a solid axle and a IRS setup?

Considering that the structure of the car has to be built differently to accomodate each setup properly a direct comparison is difficult. SVT had to do a lot of structural work to mount the 2003 Cobra IRS. It is difficult to say as you would have to combare similar sized housings. I would seriously doubt the difference would be 100 lbs. I would even bet that is not that high.

DoggyB22
05-02-2012, 03:45 AM
Thought this looked pretty interesting... & this is real not a photoshop

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/549307_218765378226934_177622675674538_251704_1669 400578_n.jpg

SSCamaro99_3
05-02-2012, 04:00 PM

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/549307_218765378226934_177622675674538_251704_1669 400578_n.jpg

:barf:

Darksol
05-02-2012, 07:21 PM
That last sentance is just your opinion. I'm probably more enthusiastic about and content with my 4th gens than the majority of people on this site. I've owned 4 of them; 2 of which I bought brand new, 2 of which I still have and 1 of which will probably stay with me until I die. Some have been raced and modded, some have been daily drivers, and some have been show cars. Every single one was an auto, and I WANTED it that way. NONE were impluse buys. The only "luxury" option (if you want to call it that) that has ever interested me in a performance car is an auto; this is based on my location and the sort of driving/racing that interests me. To infer that people who like autos can't be or aren't enthusiasts is just plain silly. Let's skip the A4 vs M6 war, because we all know that it's a pointless debate and not welcome here, and that just as many manual owners are fickle and will bounce from one car to another as auto owners.

Anyway, I drove a 5th gen just as soon as my local dealer had one back in 2009, and then I drove a second one many months later. I really wanted to love the car, but it just didn't happen. I've bought several brand new cars from GM (including a Camaro and a Trans Am) over the years, so I am someone that could have been sold on a new Camaro if I had just liked it more. I was more impressed in 1999 with the brand new Z28 that I drove than I was in 2009 with the brand new 5th gen that I drove; this was due mostly to styling and seating position - both a matter of personal preference. The L99 was also a let-down, I probably would have had a more favorable opinion if I could have had an LS3/A6 combo.

It's always possibile that I might end up with a 5th gen one day as a driver (only because I can't buy a brand new 4th gen any more), but I'll never care for it like I have my 4th gens.

You have your opinion. I have mine. Neither is right. And while the purchase of my WS6 was a impulse it was a impulse because I wasn't really looking all that hard and I found a good deal. Not because it had the wrong transmission in it. While I would argue that you have more control over a manual than a auto some could care less. The increase in fuel mileage is a added benefit to swapping your own gears though. Not that it alone is a deal breaker. I never meant were to imply that simply owning a auto alone equaled a non-enthusiast. Guess it depends on what you do with the car. If all you care about it how fast the 1/4 mile goes by then I guess it doesn't matter. But if you're out on a twisty two lane road, I would rather pick the gear not a computer that doesn't see what I see ahead. For cruising the a4 is great. I just said that were I to do it again, I would get a stick.

And I have driven a 5th gen too. I wasn't impressed at all. It felt heavy to me like driving a charger or challenger. Its well planted but doesn't translate to "throw me into a corner" to me. Then again, I find Miata's way to twitchy too.

firebird99
05-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Considering that the structure of the car has to be built differently to accomodate each setup properly a direct comparison is difficult. SVT had to do a lot of structural work to mount the 2003 Cobra IRS. It is difficult to say as you would have to combare similar sized housings. I would seriously doubt the difference would be 100 lbs. I would even bet that is not that high.
That's my point give or take a 100 pounds plus the added weight of everything else needed to make it work and you what 2
150-250 pounds depending on options that alone would bring down the weight but the you might lose some ride quality.

SSCamaro99_3
05-03-2012, 04:09 PM
That's my point give or take a 100 pounds plus the added weight of everything else needed to make it work and you what 2
150-250 pounds depending on options that alone would bring down the weight but the you might lose some ride quality.

No. I was saying that a comparison is difficult becasue rarely du you have the same car set up with both solid and IRS. The only example we have is the Terminator Cobra's, and they were trying to graft IRS onto the SN95 structure that it was never intended for. My point was that a structure built from the ground up for one oe the other will probably have a relatively insignificant weight differential. I doubt you could just reengineer a 5th Gen to accept a solid that is 580hp/100K warranty capable, and realize a significant weight savings.

It'llrun
05-03-2012, 09:22 PM

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/549307_218765378226934_177622675674538_251704_1669 400578_n.jpgProlly should've left that one stock. It looks like it came straight from one of the "CARS" movie sets(and it looks like a photo shop)... That "mouth" up front is terrible. Why anyone would go out of their way to accentuate an ugly spot... I don't understand.

The wheels look "all wrong" (as my gf put it). They'd probably look fine though, if not for the ridiculous suspension drop. The fender area is simply repulsive(front to rear). Finally, that massive looking(thanks too poor modification choices) front end could really use driving/fog lights to break up some of the monotony.